HybridZ

Non WC T-5 Clutch Set up

BillZ260

I have a freshly rebuilt T-5, with bellhousing and flywheel out of a '83 F body. I've done the work needed to get it mounted and have an engine at the machine shop getting ready. It's going to be sitting behind a mild 350 (300hp) and will be 90% street driven. I have been reading up on what I'll need to get the clutch set up rolling once the engine is built and have able to figure out some, but not all that's needed.

I know there's a couple ways to go on clutch enguagment, the HTB (Hydralic Throwout), or Slave / Fork set up. I'm trying to wiegh price, ease of set up and possibilty to transfer to a WC or other T-5 later on if this one doesn't hold up. Looks like the HTB set up is pricy but is cooler :) I have Mikelly's old exhaust and he stated that a fork should clear it just fine, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

The other thing I'm not sure about is which pressure plate I need to use. (which is needed fairly soon so I can get it ballanced with my rotating assy at the shop) I figured that I'd just go to Summitt and grab the one I needed but they have sevral sizes 11" and 10.5". So which is used for what? Is the 10.5 just lighter or? Just need some general info on this so I can decide on what to buy before dropping $180 on something I don't know anything about.

From some recent posts I see that I'll probably need a new MC, wilwood .875" unit for like 70 bucks or so, and a hydralic line between the Master and Enguagment piece of my choice.

Any insight would be helpful, I've read up some over the past week, if I've missed any obvious threads, show me the way :)

Thanks!!!

Guest Phil1934

You can't run bigger than a 10.4" clutch with the 153 tooth flywheel. If it's an '83, that was the last year for a manual clutch so you don't have the bellhousing to even mount the Camaro slave. So your options are run an old PU slave with bolt on bracket or hydraulic throwout bearing. Do a search or get more specific.

I'll get some numbers off the trans to see if it's an 83 or a later. It didn't come with a Slave cyl on it, and I didn't see where you could mount one as you mentioned. Makes sence now!

I'll check the flywheel too. Is there an easy way to know how many teeth? (W/O counting :) )

Is the Ram 10-1/2" Pressure plate going to be the one I need or does it have to specifically say 10.4"? Jeg's part number is that 10-1/2" unit 798-401, would this be the one I need?

Can someone confirm this?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=21487&parentCategoryId=10669&langId=-1

150 isn't too bad, another 150-ish for the clutch disk, pluss any plumbing and the HTB.

The 10.5/10.4 inch pressure plate and disk are what you need with the 153 tooth flywheel. I think the 10.5 inch designation is generic with actual dimensions being a little different depending on the manufacturer.

Another option for the slave/fork/bearing parts is to find a later bellhousing (84-91) with the mount for the slave and the fork that goes with it. This should be less expensive than a hydraulic throwout bearing and is easier to fix if a leak develops.

Once you have these parts you can switch to a WC tranny without changing anything else, the spline counts and dimensions are all the same unlike on the Ford trannys, at least thats what I found when researching the subject to put my system together.

Wheelman

Thanks wheelman, I figured the .4 .5 was just a generic dim but it's good to make sure before getting something you don't need. I still have some looking before I decide slave vs. HTB. I have a fork mount on this housing, just not a slave mount, which could be fabbed, i guess.

I sent an email to Ram tech support, I'll see what they recomenend and go from there.

Guest Phil1934

I was surprised at modern aftermarket slave prices. '65-'67 Chevy PU had a hydraulic slave with an angle iron mount that bolted to the bolts that held the bellhousing to the engine. You might check this.

Short and to the point responce from RAM...

"We do not make the hydraulic bearing, but you can get one from Howe Enterprises that will work. For the clutch, use pressure plate 401, disc 309M. This will transfer over as long as the input splines match."

I'll order the 401 plate and 309M Disc today. Will work on HTB Master / Slave this week. Need to crawl under the car and taka look at mounting options as well as Phil's sugestions.

Thanks guy's we're moving forward! Slowly but surley.

Just got my parts in like 15 min ago. They look like they are the right ones. Just looking at that pressure plate, I can NOT tell how it works with pressure applied to the fingers. Is there a site that expalins this? Does the large ground cast section always keep in contact with the disk or does is pull back or ? I've been reading inet pages and have not come across anything that explains how this goes about. I'm wondering because the disk is thicker than the amount of room available between the flywheel and the pressure plate. I've never really dealt with one before.

Also what are your veiws on the steel bell housings for a street drivin car. I'm sure i'll get into some spirited driving some day but really I don't think I'll ever need to spin this engine more than 5500 RPM with all the torqe being so down low. Opininons? Still working on the HTB/Fork decision.

Phil, Advanced Adapters page was pretty confusing but I did find the mount you mentioned. I asked if it will work with my hardware but they said responce time would be between 15-30 days!

There's actually a really good tech description on Centerforce's website in the FAQ.

As to the Steel bellhousing, you gotta ask yourself how safe you want the car. A stock aluminum bellhousing probably will be fine. If you never plan to get into the 400WHP and above range, then you'll be just fine. The SFI steel housings are HEAVY! :shock:

Mike

Thanks Mike

I doubt I'll get over that that Wheel HP for a while. I'll keep that in mind if i ever do. :)

I'll check out the CF site thanks!

I took my flywheel and pressure plate to the machinist this morning, feels good to actually be moving forward on this after SUCH a long time sitting.

NOT alot of help there....you guy's got any input?

RESPONCE...................

Mr. Ghere-

The 715535 bracket was designed around a truck NV4500 transmission. I'm not sure about the counterclockwise angle. If you have any questions, please call.

Please call for more information or to place an order.

1-800-350-2223 or (805-238-7000 international)

We offer a free buyers guide (with part #'s & prices).

We also offer a $10 tech manual each come with a Buyers guide.

Ordering on line http://www.advanceadapters.com (with part #’s & prices).

Thank you;

Orren X524

Original EMAIL....

Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:54 PM

To: Karma Wilcox

Subject: Chevy T-5 Question

Will your adapter 715535 fit my Non World class T-5 bell housing? It is from an early Camaro with the counterclockwise angle. I need a bracket to hold a slave cyl and this bell housing was originally used with manual linkage.

Thanks

Bill Ghere

Business Analyst

Centrilift SAP Delivery Team

Work 918-342-8394

Cell 918-237-5988