HybridZ

Got 2 intercoolers for $75, from Volvo 740

big-phil

went to the good old wrecking yard, found 2 volvo 740 intercoolers they wanted $150 for both talked them down to $75 bucks! One is mint the other has little damage.

my question is, the good one I want to put on e-bay to get my money back, the bad one I want to use, if I block off the 2 rails that are busted will I still get good enough flow? These things are huge, core alone is 18x17 overall is bigger. inlet, outlet are 2 1/2 I think its 1 1/2 thick? I will probly have to fab. it in to fit?

tried to put picture up but having trouble.

Well I've been looking on e-bay and I guess I might not be able to get $75.00 for the one good intercooler. Seems like they are going for 40-50 bucks on a good day.

So come on let me have it.......did I get screwed? I go one of them it fit today, and have to plumb it in now.

Sorry but I am not a fan of these Volvo ICs with their crimped on Plastic tanks...for a few more bucks you could get a REAL efficient bar and plate all aluminum IC from eBay, look at the one Austin just bought for his 260Z....

I bought my Isuzu NPR IC off eBay for $175.

Do it right the first time!

Yasin

I put the saab 9000 on for a few months until I came across an NPR for $60. Do it right the first time doesn't always work with the pocket book :) The saab 9000 was really easy to install because it lines up with the holes, so it wasn't like I was spending tons of fabricating time that would have to be re-done once I got a better IC. But if the cheap IC you pick up requires a lot of fabricating to install, then I would think twice like Yasin says.

I won some turbo supra 440 injectors on e-bay the other day, $51.00. should I even mount this IC on with the stock turbo computer? I'm waiting to get the 300zx ecu or I guess MsNs, but the cash is the biggest problem.

So I have this volvo IC, and will soon have the supra injectors, what should I put on now untill I get the cash for a better IC, and ecu????

I have run a starion intercooler, volvo intercooler and a large npr intercooler. The volvo was by far the worst. But its alot better than no intercooler. Still wouldn't go past 14psi with it though. Starion is good up 18psi, and npr i haven't maxed out. This was with the stock ecu and 370cc injectors. The stock efi will have a very hard time with 440injectors I would wait to put these intill you get a programable ecu. If absolutely won't be able to afford any intercooler for a couple months then the volvo one might be worth your time to fab up pipes. The npr pipes are similar so you might be able to do some minor cutting and rewelding if you upgrade to a npr.

WOW check this out, I plumbed in the intercooler, I thought what the hell its better than no intercooler. I went for a drive, started to boost, and then "pop" "chug-chug" the car dies, with no power at the key, no fuel pump, no nothing when you turn the key. headlight still work, so I think its got to be a main fuse, or fuseible link to the ecu? well i CAN'T FIND IT IN THE DARK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. so I walk back to my house, about 10 min, talking to myself the whole time thinking what could it be? Get my truck, drive back to my baby, and yes fuseible link.

what made it pop? I forgot to clamp one of the hose fittings, and the boost blew right out.....duh....what a night.