HybridZ

What could I screw up changing the turbine housing?

violacleff

I'm contemplating wheather or not I should pay to get this done ($250) or do it myself. The turbo's already in the car. Is there a way to do this without taking the whole turbo/manifold off? What precautions would I need to take? Or should I just pay up and not screw my car up and be without it for the next year :-( ?

If you want to be careful you will need to take the turbo off the car. Then its just a matter of unbolting the 6 or so bolts that connect the housing to the centre and twisting it gently by hand to break the seal with any crap thats built up.

Just be careufl when moving the housing off that you don't smack it against the turbine wheel blades and you'll be fine.

$250 will be all labour. Do it yourself if you have time. Its not hard.

Dave

I changed my turbo from underneath. It wasnt too bad. I have so many hoses and tubes to disconnect/reconnect from the intake that it just seemed easier to leave it alone. If I was using a programmable engine management system, with all the ZX intake stuff shaved, it would be a different story.

How old is the turbo? If it has much age on it at all, becareful with the turbine housing bolts. They can break and cause headaches. If you're just scraping the old housing, then it doesn't matter, but if you plan on using it or selling it, spray the bolts down real well with penitrating oil and let them sit a little bit before trying to remove them.

Should've know this would'nt go smooth. I went ahead and gave the car to the shop to do, and it turns out that my T4 was really a T3 flange. I'm about $150 in labor wise. Trying to use the new housing (T4 .68 ) would mean modifying exhaust and manifold flange (more $$$$) Should I just buy a new turbo or try to make this one work? Not sure what to do. Just know the car is going to be sitting for quite a while now :-(

This turbo was just recently rebuilt (well new bearings). I got that free since the tranny shop screwed it up. I'm just wondering what my best bet is so that I don't waste anymore money. I want to drive this stinkin car already!

The euro-T4 flange is identical to a T3 flange so a lot of turbos (my old TO4B for instance) have that flange. Not to mention if you are using a hybrid T3/T4 it will obviously be a T3 flange.

Can't you just buy another T3 flanged one and sell the T4 flange? What exactly are you changing anyway? Entire turbos? Or just the turbine housing?

Dave

he's just changing the housings. I think at thsi point the best bet would be still be to get this turbo to work. A new one is is still going to cost you quite a bit more than a housing. Either Jegs or Summit can order you a housing fro turbonetics, you just need to make sure you know what you need before ordering it.