HybridZ

The Beauty Of All Wheel Drive? - Video Inside

slownrusty

Guest Z-rific

My first thought is...man, I'd hate to be that Camaro. Kid almost lost it just getting it into the street.

Next, those are some pretty nice rides for some pretty young looking guys.

Third, I almost got hit one night by some kids in a late 80's Mustang GT, joyriding in the snow. (I was just trying to get home from work). At least these guys kept it in their school parking lot.

Fourth, there's a big difference between snow and ice.

One of the rare times we got a bad ice storm in N. Alabama, I tried taking out my 95 Talon AWD to get to work. I figured all wheel drive stood a better chance than most cars. Everything went fine til I tried stopping at a sign downhill. After a few scary seconds and me almost crapping my pants, I turned her around and stayed home for another 2 days. AWD is great for "go" and cornering, but doesn't do **** for "stop".

Hmm. Some Maryland home boys. :D

I like my AWD Eclipse though - never any problems getting up snowy hills, etc. But like you say, stopping is just like everybody else. It did great in our recent 8 inch snow.

Many years ago (like 17) I was daily driving my 240Z (stock) to college. Parked in a lot at the library at school. Came out after many hours studying and there was 4 inches of unplowed snow. The lot was at the bottom of a steep hill. The trucks, FWD boxes, etc. couldn't get up the hill. With Dunlop Qualifier GTs (225/60-14) I was able to keep the tires spinning at 35 mph to very slowly scale the hill. I bet there were some people I left at the bottom at that hill that couldn't believe it! I drove through alot of 4-6" deep unplowed snow (the air dam acted like a plow :D ) with that car.

It's called being young and having more testosterone than common sense :D .

Years later I paid the price for all that winter driving in the Z - I got to take the car apart (rockers, rear 1/4s, fenders, etc.) and repair all that rust from the salty winters :D .

I honestly think they should require a special license to own and drive a 4WD. People don't seem to realize that stepping on the brake will only lock up the same number of wheels as the POS Yugo in the lane next to them. 4WD lets you go like mad but doesn't improve the stopping.

Having grown up in Nebraska I was always impressed by the number of 4WD's in the ditch. They seem to be the first to go. And now in Maryland (where it doesn't snow as much or as often) I am scared to death of all Yuppies in speeding SUV's thinking the 4WD makes them invincible.

BTW, few things are more fun than driving a FWD car with the rear parking brake on in a parking lot full of snow. Get up some speed in a straight line then turn the wheel 1/8 th of a turn and hold on!

Guest Anonymous

Being from the Northwest, I grew up with 4 wheel drive vehicles not as yuppie staus symbols but working class utility vehicles.No matter how many options or accessories a jeep is till a stinking jeep (even ol Skunky Green had one ). I have had these idiots with a smug look on their face fly past me at 60 mph going in a straight line bumper to bumper with each other in the snow without a clue that they could not turn or stop at that speed. Later on, some would be seen in desparation with cell phone standing by the roadside with their invincible vehicle disabled spawled out in the ditch. The only assistance I could offer was blowing my horn to get their undivided attention while I stuck my hand out the window to give them a "one jointed" victory salute to register my admiration for their stupidity and endangering everyone.

Originally posted by Dp351zcar:

I have almost gotten into fights with people when I stated their 4WD could go but not stop better than car.

But... but.... That's what the salesman said, so it must be true, right?

Y'all should see the idiots in Texas getting after it during one of our ice storms. They don't seem to realize that just because they've got an SUV (we're not even talking 4 x 4 here) they're king of the road. They'll happily blast by you on the straightaways, ignoring the fact that dozens of trucks are stuck in the ditches to both sides of them.

Either that, or they drive 20mph everywhere they go any day the temperature is below 30 degrees, and they slam on the brakes every time they go over a bridge. Idiots and morons, every one.