HybridZ

Turbo -Ball bearing replacement for R32 ?

Mike Rowe

Guest JAMIE T

You have a couple of options. They particularly depend on your desired power goals. Mine being 600rwhp, I chose HKS GT2540's. They are a direct bolt-on replacement for the OE turbo's. They are ball-bearing, and are capable of generating atleast 750 crank HP. That fit within my goals. I paid $2K for them, used from Japan. If your goals are less, say 500, you should be able to get away easily with having the OE turbo's upgraded to metal wheels/shafts.

Jamie & 240ZTurbo, thanks very much for your help.

I have also been contacted on separate email by Matt at Motorworx, who mentioned the R34 turbos or HKS 2530 or 2540. He did mention though problems with the RB26 exhaust housing. He also mentioned that the stock exhaust manifolds have a small outlet whilst most of the aftermarket turbos have a large turbine inlet. He said that the after market manifolds are worth more than a 1000rpm sooner spool.

Jamie did you have probs or did you get different exhaust manifolds & housing?

240Z are you saying you will supply upgraded standard housings? What do you expect them to run and cost?

regards Mike

Guest JAMIE T

What 240Z Turbo is offering sounds pretty nice! Definately a great way to go here in the states(although we can get alot more parts recently than when I first started my project).

I'm using my own SS tubular manifolds, which I haven't had time to build yet. I have a shop here in town that I work pretty closely with who is going to laser cut the flanges for me. Same for the dump pipes. They will have a seperate waste gate pipe that will merge back into the exhaust.

I saw these SS manifols on Ebay a few times and was wondering if anyone had ever used them before? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Skyline-GTR-RB26DETT-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold_W0QQitemZ8032819270QQcategoryZ33632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7c_1.JPG

They look like they keep the turbos mounted in the stock location, which is what I want. Most if not all of the Manifolds that I've seen mount them up high.

Guest JAMIE T
Are you talking about these dumps?

3b_1.JPG

e8_1.JPG

Basically. I was going to fab my own. I'm alittle leary of the cheap ebay SSAutochrome manifolds. I've heard the quality was poor and prone to cracking. Who knows... When I start working on the car again, maybe I'll pick some of that stuff up and check it out.

Basically. I was going to fab my own. I'm alittle leary of the cheap ebay SSAutochrome manifolds. I've heard the quality was poor and prone to cracking. Who knows... When I start working on the car again, maybe I'll pick some of that stuff up and check it out.

I have also heard about ssautocrap manifoils which is breaking but it shouldt be a problem to reinforce the welding. The do look shiny though.

Guest JAMIE T
I have also heard about ssautocrap manifoils which is breaking but it shouldt be a problem to reinforce the welding. The do look shiny though.

Good point. Sorta like the hard part's done, right?

Here is a shot of the HKS dump.

Looks like an exact copy. Can the welds just be made stronger by putting a new bead on them?

e8_1.JPG

Local place here (Perth W Aust) advised me that there is an after market dump pipe set from China that are an exact copy of the HKS ones but he would pay the A$200 extra for the HKS ones due to their quality - sounds like good advice to me.

Regards the manifold, he also mentioned the S/S ones again from China, but reckoned all you need to do is grind out the standard cast ones to the turbo size which is the best option.

He has also tracked down for me the Garrett Ball Bearing turbos (400HP) which are a straight swap for the OE. I have the part number at work and will post it on the site tomorrow. The cost here for this turbo is A$1250 incl tax, ie A$2500 for the set. I thought that was pretty good.