HybridZ

Engine in first?

Can I drop my lt1 in without the tranny, and then bolt the t56 up to the engine? I have a lift and all that good stuff, just wondering about access to all the tranny bolts, can i get to them with the engine in the car already? My motor is ready to go and I'll like to drop in it and get it setup, but still waiting for a clutch and flywheel for the tranny.

Thanks

Well I dont know about the JTR set up but in my 280ZX with the MSA mounts I can pull the tranny out in about 30 minutes and put it back in in about 45 minutes. I seperate teh tranny from teh bell housing and then remove the bell housing after the tranny is out.

How long do you have to wait to get a clutch and flywheel? I would just wait and put it in together because it will be the easiest.

Guy

I accually have to pull the engine to get the tranny out. The bolts hit the firewall before they come all the way out of the threads of the block. I have to walk the engine forward to get them all the way out. banghead.gif

I don't see the harm in setting it in to mock up the exhaust and other things. But where your tranny sits will affect where you engine sits also.

mine is a 73 240. i just pulled the trans [t56] and left the engine [ls1] in the car. tranny goes back in friday. process=car in the air, unbolted the tranny, attached my hoist to support the engine. unbolted tranny crossmember [with floor jack supporting from center-below]. working solo i alternated [slowly] lowering hoist and jack. i monitored the eng-to-firewall clearance then separated the two and once apart lowered the trans to the ground. took me all of 15 minutes. looks like it'll take 2 of us to put it back in...

tip-lube the dowels that align/mate the eng to tranny to allow easy assembly & disassembly & fit

Ya , with the trans already bolted on to the engine. I would recommend you get a engine tilter. It make's it SO MUCH easier to install the drive train. I can remove the whole drivertrain by myself with the tilter.

Agreed, I had to tilt it in and it took about 3 hours the first time, and about 1 hour the second time, and about that long the 3rd 4th and 5th times. ;)

011.JPG

Mallets are important for this.