HybridZ

81 Mazda RX7, ScottieGNZ and others please help

EZ-E

Im looking at this Rx7 for a fun car and well though it looks really nice I dont know anything at all about rotaries, besides what everyone says, you will always have to replace the seals and that requires a total tear down.

I know that Scottie has quite a bit of knowledge about these cars and well if anyone else does, please chime in as to what you think this car would be worth and if its worth getting.

Here is the email I recieved and I was wondering also what should I ask about the car as far as the engine and drive train.

Thanks to anyone that can assist.

The car is located in Orlando, Florida.

email message: The car is very dear to me and has been taken care of as such. My father has been building and racing rotary engines since 1975. That being said, the engine was rebuilt by him in 1995. The secondarys were ported and polished at my request, however, the primarys were left stock in order to comply with emission inspections at that time. The car has a 10 pound flywheel and Koni shocks. The car starts as soon as the key is turned. The radiator is only a year-and-a-half old. No rust at all on this car. There is play in the steering wheel. My father has adjusted the steering box as much as he can without buying a new one. The car currently has a vacuum leak, but can easily be fixed by removing the carburetor and replacing the small sensor underneath. For now, I have a piece of tape covering the hole in the air cleaner. (I've done this because my father hasn't had a chance to fix it yet.) The car is in great condition for it's age and I vowed to never sell it, however, I have three cars and one must go.

She says that there is 286k miles on the car, and the asking price is 3500.

Well here are a few photos of the car.

DSCF0054.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0048.JPG

I like them both, but I just love the wide body kit. Makes it look so aggressive. I wasnt really even thinking about it though Ive been looking for something else, then I just happened across this car, and being a fan of the Mazda design is why I was asking about this particular one.

Guest bastaad525

nice as the body kit is I would not EVER pay $3500 for one of the earliest of the first gen RX-7's. Remember that's the one with the carbuerated 12A engine which was rated at 100 or 105 hp tops. Also I believe the early 12A RX's came with non-independent rear suspension.

Anyways, I have seen decent first gen's going for $1000-1500, and really nice ones for up around $2500. However, if you want a first gen IMO you would do MUCH better to look for one of the ones with the fuel injected 13B motors, which will also net you independent rear suspension and about 30 more HP.

Of course, if you're planning any kind of engine swap this whole argument goes out the window :twisted:

One other thing you should consider is that that is really high mileage, the engine may be rebuilt but the chassis is probably softened up quite a bit, also what condition is the suspension in? Bushings? All that good stuff?

I have seen that car around and it is nice but never gave it a close inspection. Personally, I do not like NA rotarys for a street car but that should have nothing to do with your choice. For me, nice car if I was planning to make it a hybrid but then $3500 is too much for a rolling chassis, even with the bodywork. However if you really like the bodywork and can live with the shortcomings of a carb'd 12A, then go for it. After all, you are getting to please you not this forum.

Wow that is a stunning SA22....I love it. It looks like the Mariah body kit...and man that is simply a freaking beautiful machine.

If I had $3500 I would be all over it really. The price is good based on the condition of the car. A 12A like Bastaad said is not too my liking unless it has all the "monster, barbq, stir fried, refried and breaded" port work that these Mazda guys do but then you end with a dribblin' 10mp/g.

This engine has been slightly masaged, so at best it would be peppy. A 13B turbo would be simply awesome!

Yasin

Wow that is a stunning SA22....I love it. It looks like the Mariah body kit...and man that is simply a freaking beautiful machine.

If I had $3500 I would be all over it really. The price is good based on the condition of the car. A 12A like Bastaad said is not too my liking unless it has all the "monster' date=' barbq, stir fried, refried and breaded" port work that these Mazda guys do but then you end with a dribblin' 10mp/g.

This engine has been slightly masaged, so at best it would be peppy. A 13B turbo would be simply awesome!

Yasin[/quote']

You are very well versed Yasin, it is a Mariah body kit. I really do like the car more for its look then anything and I was thinking of a hybrid swap but for it to be a fun car for what it is now.

From what others have said though it will be quite disappointing as far as the speed value of it goes and with that being said, 3500 is a bit much for a chassis.

If money were no object I would concider it, though I havent asked about what motor is in the car and if it is still the stock motor but concidering it is a carbed motor I would assume that it is what is now known to me as the stock 12 a motor.

Is there anything that I should ask about, or would you care to take a look see at it there Scottie since you have even seen it around. Hah what a small world.

If you could Id really appreciate it.

What should I ask of the owner though about the car that would be a make me buy it or leave it option>?

Thanks guys for your feedback so far.

I'd buy it. I also love that body kit. I had three friends who were very much into 1st gen RX7's and they can tear up a mountain road like nothing else. I think if I had to name the car I've been airborn in the most or completely perpendicular to the road while sliding the most it would have to be an 82 RX7. They may be down on power a little but so is a Miata, and I'd buy one of those too. Not every car needs to do a 1/4 in 12 or less to be fun...

nice as the body kit is I would not EVER pay $3500 for one of the earliest of the first gen RX-7's. Remember that's the one with the carbuerated 12A engine which was rated at 100 or 105 hp tops. Also I believe the early 12A RX's came with non-independent rear suspension.

Anyways' date=' I have seen decent first gen's going for $1000-1500, and really nice ones for up around $2500. However, if you want a first gen IMO you would do MUCH better to look for one of the ones with the fuel injected 13B motors, which will also net you independent rear suspension and about 30 more HP.

[/quote']

My first car was a 79 RX-7. All first gens are solid axle - which handled very well by the way. But you're right that the injected 13B in the later first gens is a better bet. You can also find rear discs and LSD on the later first gens.

Anyway $3500 is WAY too much for 286k miles.

Greg

I'd buy it. I also love that body kit. I had three friends who were very much into 1st gen RX7's and they can tear up a mountain road like nothing else. I think if I had to name the car I've been airborn in the most or completely perpendicular to the road while sliding the most it would have to be an 82 RX7. They may be down on power a little but so is a Miata, and I'd buy one of those too. Not every car needs to do a 1/4 in 12 or less to be fun...

That is very true I must admit, my mother handed me down her old toyota corolla AE86 type, and that thing handled like it was on rails, wasnt the fastest of cars at all but boy was it fun.

Im really concidering this car a lot, just for the fact that I love how well it looks and its condition.

EZ-E, $3500 is high (but) real nice 1st gen's are getting hard to come by now. If the motor has 236000 mi on it without a rebuild - its going to need one. A 12a is good for maybe 100000 mi (if your lucky and take good care of it). Borrow, beg or steal a Mazda comrpession tester and check compression on both rotors (all 3 lobes checked with mazda's unit).

Big debate between the 12a and 13b motors, I like the 12a - street port it, open up the exhaust and intake, bolt on a couple webers and it'll run well. Earlier 4-port 13b's are desired also. These cars are light and well balanced. LOts of racing parts available too. Swap out the rearend (with drums) for a lsd with discs.

Mariah is a very good body kit, and expensive if you buy it new. Its my favorite. They also make a real nice 2nd gen RX7 kit for like $4500.

I'm now running a stock '84 GS with about 68000 orig miles. Paid $1800 for it last year. Had to put a new cat converter on (old one burned out), front brakes, one caliper, clutch slave and master cylinders. Interior is probably a 7 or 8 out of 10, exterior is silver and only has a couple thin spots in the paint (next years project).

Sold my '79 Fairlady last year and wish I'd kept it - I liked it better than the RX7. If I buy (find) another Fairlady in good condition, I'll keep this RX7 also - they are a nice car to drive, even longer distances.

Oh yeah, a small block also fits in real nice too !!

best of luck, let us know what you do.

Todd

Big debate between the 12a and 13b motors, I like the 12a - street port it, open up the exhaust and intake, bolt on a couple webers and it'll run well. Earlier 4-port 13b's are desired also. These cars are light and well balanced. LOts of racing parts available too. Swap out the rearend (with drums) for a lsd with discs.

A friend of mine had a ported 12A with a 44 Mikuni on it, and a 9 lb flywheel and a header. It was really hard to get off the line, but when it hit about 3500 rpm it would SMOKE the tires until you let off. He also had 2 GSL-SE rears (LSD with discs that people keep mentioning). He ended up selling it to someone who made it a track toy, but Buster's suggestion of a Weber is right on the money.

Well as much as I really like the car, the woman has spoken and this is the biggest kicker of all, she said the SHE wants a Z, and not any Z she wants a 240Z only!.

We were talking and she started on me about how I like Z's and I was saying well yes I do but this is something different and new to me and I do like the looks, as I told her I was wanting something to toy with.

Well she has given me full permission as long as it is a 240Z to do with as I please, because I was mentioning, I dont want to keep it stock, either SR swap or V8 swap. With the V8, the only one that I see that is good off the shelf and relatively cheap compared to others is the 96 firebird motor with the speed tranny.

Here is the best part, as I have had quite a few Z's in the past, she has always ragged me for buying them keeping them so long and selling them, and all along she really has liked them. Go figure women.

Well I want something different and something new. Been with the turbo conversion and Ive had the older SBC carbed version, so it will be something new. Reason I was looking at different cars when I happened upon this.

I still do love this RX7, but when the other half gives you persmission to do what you want with it as long as its a Z, well how can you complain.

I would have liked to do a nice V8 or other swap with this Rx7 but it looks as if its out of my future. I do appreciate all the feedback though, I think this would still be a very nice car to have just the same.

Once again guys thanks.