HybridZ

possible timing problem?

Guest SouthGaZX

Guest SouthGaZX

ok.. i purchased a 77 280z with l28.. at first it wouldnt fire up..i drained the old RED gasoline (TOO much rust lol) and refilled with fresh well it still turned over... no start... i took the bolt out of the base of the distrib that keeps the cap from rotating too far one way or the other.. and turned the cap clockwise untill the slot is about 1/4 right of the bolt hole and it fired up.. doesnt stay running unless you keep on the throttle a little though... its like the base of the distrib needs to be turned 1/4-1/2 inch clockwise.. also i think its possible only 4 or 5 of my injectors are working.. because 4 or 5 plugs were soaked.. 1 or 2 were dry.. started raining a little.. and the car battery died so ill have to wait till tomorrow to check the injectors.. but what could be causing the distributor to be doing that?

What happened to the car before you purchased it? Someone try to fix it and give up maybe?

Sounds like somebody put the distributor shaft in in the wrong position. To fix that you'll need to pull the oil pump, take the shaft out rotate it to the right position, and put it back in.

Easiest way is to have a person on top while you're on the bottom moving the shaft. Set it so the rotor points a little advance of the #1 spark plug terminal and you should be good to go. If you have an aftermarket sway bar you'll have to loosen the bushings on the frame on both sides. I think you can squeeze the shaft out if you're running the stock swaybar.

Guest SouthGaZX

well like i said... the distrib cap has to be rotated 1/2 inch or more past where the slot stop is im still gonna check injecs first didnt say i wasnt just wanted to know what to do about the distrib... also does the original 77 z heads come with a temp sensor?? because i have a 83 280zx head on it.. with the temp sensor but i have no hookup.. so i dunno if the original 77 heads had the sensor or not? i know if that sensor goes bad it dumps alot of fuel in..

It did but not sure if the ecu used it at all though. I think it was just hooded up to the temp gauge to tell when the engine was over heating.

If it did and it wasn't hooked up then the engine would still run and be in "limp mode" the engine would still run.