HybridZ

Maximum width wheels w/o rubbing: 16" and 17" wheels

Looking at getting some 16X8 +04 offset panasports with 245/45/16 tires. Will this set up work? A 245/40/16 might work as well. Anyone running this setup? I'm assuming that the rear fenders will need to rolled, but will they hit anything else? I will probably be going with a set of lowering springs in the 225f/250r range with some Tokico Illumina shocks (non coilover). I'd rather the coilovers, but I just dont have the money for them at the moment. What do you guys think?

Could i get 18x9.5 +12 offset rims on a 2" lower s30 and have no rubbing? The rims are 5 lug so i would have to get a 2" thick wheel adapter 4-to-5 lug. Would i have to get any additional wheel spacers? Maybe this http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC11/23-4186 ? Would i have to cut the wheel well?

easy search returned this.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125033&highlight=18x9.5

It looks like he ended up with roughly a 19mm offset in the rear though.

Overall backspacing is really what is more important to look at though.

You would definitely need coil overs with wheels that size.

Also since this thread was started with 16" and 17" wheels in mind, a lot of people checking this thread might not have a lot of insight on 18" wheels.

By the way, making comments like "I dont think people on here like answering questions." probably isn't gonna get your question answered any quicker though.

Oh and to contribute to the original question i have 17x8 wheels all the way around with 245/45 tires and no rubbing on spring perches, but the car hasn't seen the road as of yet with this set up.

Kevin

easy search returned this.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125033&highlight=18x9.5

It looks like he ended up with roughly a 19mm offset in the rear though.

Overall backspacing is really what is more important to look at though.

You would definitely need coil overs with wheels that size.

Also since this thread was started with 16" and 17" wheels in mind, a lot of people checking this thread might not have a lot of insight on 18" wheels.

When I searched all I came up with was people with 18" rims at stock height. Through searching I didnt find any information on a lowering coil over setup with 18" rims without cutting. From other setups people have used 9.5-10.5 inch wide should work on a stock setup without cutting.

I don't know if this helps... but when I did the measurements you really want around 4.5" back spacing front max. and probably amount the same, maybe a little more rear. So you have an 9.5" wide wheel... add 1" for the lips, you are at 10.5". Divide by 2... 5.25"... +12mm. 5.75" back spacing which is excessive. Now you put in a 2" adapter, knocks you down to 3.75". You should be fine in that scenario when it comes to T/C rod and frame rail clearance. If you are running that size on the fronts you will definitely interfere with the air dam/valance and will have to trim the valance and probably the air dam. The rears should be fine interference wise. In either case you are looking at flares or fender rolling as these tires will stick very far out.

I am not a fan of adapters personally so I would have to say that I would rather just get a wheel that fits properly. That is up to you though.

Does that answer your question?

Im using a california z wide body kit, It shouldnt hang over much should it? I think it adds about say 4-6" width to each side. But would the wheel wells need to be cut higher for 18" rims with a lowering coil over setup say..2" lower than stock height? I think it would be close, but would it even work without cutting? Or would you have to cut? How about 18x9.5 +22 offset with 2" adapters and maybe some additional wheel spacers? My interest in bigger rims is to use a "big" disk and "big" brembo calipers that would clear the rims.

I honestly do not know because I have never seen the California Z Wide Body kit. It should not hang over the edge at all if you are adding 4"+ to the width of the car.

Would the wheel wells need cutting... what part of the wheel well? The only thing that possibly would need cutting is the fender and lower valance or air dam, and that would depend on what spring rate you are running, what tire, and how much lower. At 2" lower you would have to run a pretty high spring rate to keep from rubbing the stock fender I WOULD THINK, but I am hardly sure. If you ahve removed or cut away the stock fenders for the California Z Wide Body - it shouldn't be an issue.

With a 9.5 +22 and 2" adapters you shouldn't have interference problems or need spacers. This all sounds a bit dangerous in my opinion though... 2" is quite think. Your choice though. Just makes a lot more sense in my opinion to just do a 5 lug hub swap. As for large rotors and brakes... I would think an 18" wheel would fit something like a 15-16" rotor. That is mighty big. If that is what you are aiming for though than cool. If you are just looking to stuff a 13" or even 14" rotor under there than you would probably be better off with a 17".