HybridZ

Custom Wheel Hell!

johnc

Some of you may have heard rumors of the hell I've been going through trying to get two sets of custom 16 x 10 wheels built for my 240. Well, tonight I descended into the depths of custom wheel hell.

First, my general opinion of these custom wheel makers: Monocoque, BBS, and Kodiak - They are liars, cheats, incompetent, and just plain scum.

Second, here's the story. It starts back in September of 2001.

I contacted David at Monocoque Wheel in California and ordered a set of 16 x 9 race wheels (my original intent was to not flare my 240). Weight was my #1 concern and I was assured by David that the wheels would come in under 15 lbs each. Numerous missed delivery dates, lots of phone calls, etc. and my wheels arrived in February 2002. They weighed 18.5 lbs each - basically useless for what I was trying to do with my 240.

My next step was to work with Bill Baker at BBS. I worked out a killer deal for some super light (under 14 lbs each) 16 x 10 wheels. Bill said I would have them in two weeks. Four weeks later I was told the wheels were machined for 5 lugs instead of 4. It would be two more weeks. 4 months later, after many, many phone calls I was given a UPS tracking number. It turned out to be bogus. When confronted with this fact Bill blamed BBS in Germany (he had been blaming the Germans for everything). I cancelled that order.

My latest effort was to contact Darrel at Kodiak Wheel. He eventually came through with a set of 16 x 10s weighing in at 14 lbs (after two months of delays) but the center hole was bored at 2.5" which isn't enough to clear the front hubs. I called Darrel about the problem, he apologized and agreed to build set #2 with the proper (as specified by me on the original fax) center hole diameter of 2.9" and give me a huge discount for my trouble. Now I would have 4 front and 4 rear wheels.

Two months later, I just got the second set today - 2.5" center hole! Did you every just want to kick some guy in the nuts as hard as you can - 20 times in a row!

Doggon John, that is a heck of a story :(

I really want some big wheels too, but just dont have the money. I also believe you commented on the stock that they are using for making wheels being somewhat dried up? I am HOPING this is not the case because I was going to go with CCW, if it is, then doggonit cry2.giffrown.gif

John,

At this point, can't you just take the centers to a machine shop and have them bored out? Stop payment to the wheel supplier and let them sweat for a while?

And they say America is the land of customer service!!! Many time true, but increasingly, it seems, not any more!!

Tim

I just got off the phone with Darrell at Kodiak. DHL is coming to pick up the wheels and overnight them to Kodiak's shop in BC Canada. They will immediately machine the center bores to the correct size and send them back to me overnight.

Darrell apologized for the mistake and said it was his fault. Right now I'm OK with that. If he comes through as promised then I will settle down and not speak ill of him and Kodiak.

I'm still thinking I should have bought a new M3 instead fo trying to build a 30 year old car into an M3 killer.

Guest Anonymous

John,

I'm with you on the wheels. I think I'm heading down the same road. I just ordered some panasport c8's. 17x8 and 17x9. I asked the guy to call me with the total and had a few questions he was going to get answers for. I called Friday morning and it's now tuesday. Have not heard one word. Good news (I think) is no charges have been posted to my charge card. If some one wanted to spend 2k+ with me, I think I would be trying to get the order done. Maybe these guys just don't need the business?? I'll give him to this Friday then I'm cancelling the order. Mark

HI John,

Sorry to hear about all the problems your having.Other than the obvious customer service problems,how do you like the wheels? Do you have a picture of the wheels?They are very light, is this a street wheel or track only. When looking for wheels did you find anyone selling a style simular to the original slotted rims that were light weight? I realy want to use an old style look on my car,but would like to keep the weight down if possible. Later,Tom

Just a 2 cents on Kodiak... best wheel company I have dealt with yet. They seem to put people on the phones that know the product, have answers ready for questions, and make a product that is very well respected at least in the FSAE world.

In my experience they seem like a no-nonsense, lets get business done, kind of company. Sorry to hear about your troubles John, but they do have a good reputation, and that has to come from something that they are doing well.