HybridZ

GT40 anybody?

240zwannabe

Be a little wary of cheap turbo's. Here in Oz we have been getting dumped on with a cheap T70 type turbo, but it's MADE IN CHINA and they DON'T work.

Lots of guys here have bought them and needed to spend megga dollars on them so that they work sort of.

Just be very aware that just because it has GARRETT on the casting, by no means does it say for sure that its a genuine GARRETT turbine. The real mccoy Garrett GT40 sells in Oz for about AU$2000.00 so do your exchange conversions and see what it is in US$.

Cheers,

Dennis

I have been looking at that turbo for a long time now and trying to get a good configuration (setup) for my car to handle that nicely. I am still to this day a little thrown off by the "slightly used" part as well but the pice is too good to pass up. I will post about it when i get it, and F.Y.I. arizona z car has some of the better service compared to other z companies out there.

that what i've been told. thats just how i am about it i don't want to pass up a turbo that i could possibly use for a long time and just upgrade fuel system and ignition and etc. to make more power... definately let me know how it works out for you. thanks for the replies

Sorry for slight movement off topic but....

One of the local forums I visit here in NZ had these pics - so I thought I would share. There are/were only 2 of the new Ford GT's in NZ. Hope the pics work

Edit changed images copies uploaded to album on this site :)

gt40-1.JPGgt40-2.JPGgt40-3.JPGgt40-4.JPG

Be a little wary of cheap turbo's. Here in Oz we have been getting dumped on with a cheap T70 type turbo' date=' but it's MADE IN CHINA and they DON'T work.

Lots of guys here have bought them and needed to spend megga dollars on them so that they work sort of.

Just be very aware that just because it has GARRETT on the casting, by no means does it say for sure that its a genuine GARRETT turbine. The real mccoy Garrett GT40 sells in Oz for about AU$2000.00 so do your exchange conversions and see what it is in US$.

Cheers,

Dennis[/quote'] Err.. where are you getting your prices from Dennis? #1 the GT4088R has only been available in Australia for a little while. #2 $2000 is ball bearing price, which I don't think the arizona Z car one is (surely they would mention it?), non ball bearing brand new is $1430ish (which I'm sure you could beat if you shopped around). USD400 is damn cheap for any 600-650hp garrett turbocharger. Check the P/N on the tag to confirm its a garrett. Dave

Be a little wary of cheap turbo's. Here in Oz we have been getting dumped on with a cheap T70 type turbo' date=' but it's MADE IN CHINA and they DON'T work.

Cheers,

Dennis[/quote'] Err.. where are you getting your prices from Dennis? #1 the GT4088R has only been available in Australia for a little while. #2 AUD2000 is ball bearing price, which I don't think the arizona Z car one is (surely they would mention it?), non ball bearing brand new is AUD1430ish (which I'm sure you could beat if you shopped around). USD400 is damn cheap for any 600-650hp garrett turbocharger. Check the P/N on the tag to confirm its a garrett. Dave

You may want to change the turbine housing to something smaller - That .95 AR will make for a lazy spool on an L28. Probably good for an SBC.

i've put some thought to that as well, im not putting my motor in my car until its fully built, it'll be a while and even longer only being 16...sucks. but i'll look into it some more. thank you all

Just be very aware that just because it has GARRETT on the casting' date=' by no means does it say for sure that its a genuine GARRETT turbine. The real mccoy Garrett GT40 sells in Oz for about AU$2000.00 so do your exchange conversions and see what it is in US$.

Cheers,

Dennis[/quote']

These are genuine Garrett turbos. I've seen them in person. They have the garrett sticker on the backplate with a part/serial number. They are standard bushing type bearing with 82mm compressor (gt4082).

have you seen them perform? or been told about it?

I played with it. I haven't personly seen one on a car though. I know the GT series turbine a/r's are typically larger compared to the T4 a/r's for the same application. If they will work for someones particular application though, they are a good deal. There are a few 7M MKIII guys running gt4082's and gt4088's. Don't remember the a/r's but they are on Supraforums.

(back off topic) Damn :shock: that GT is thrashed. I had an Autoshop project leat year when i was still in highschool and i did it on SVT and i got to drive in the Ford GT into the Shop and it was sweet i just wish that i could have taken it for a real test drive :burnout: but i dont think they would let me do that, besides just driving it was an awesome enough experience, i dont care what the europeans say when they compare it to their Enzo's and their Veyron's i love the sound of that thing.

(on topic) Yea the exahust manifold will most likely need to be adjusted but i still think the price for getting a new one will still be cheaper then getting a brand new turbo, im still a little bit thrown off by the "slightly used" part but i really just want to try it out because the guys at arizona z are really good mechnaics and have a great reputation so im relying on that right now and i want to try it out. If everything works out then i will definatly be a life time satisfied customer (although there are things i will still buy from MSA and used parts)

I'd love to get my had on one of the garrett GT60's :flamedevi