HybridZ

WoW!! Rear diffuser ... cool pics!

proxlamus©

• Administrators

Yeup, Darius work. Darius car is one of the wildest. His diffuser is beautifully done.

Who owns THAT monster? Is it Darius's new modification?

Pilots do it higher.

Patzky, so you’re a pilot? What ratings do you hold? What birds you normally fly?

Private license here, SEL. C-172, C-152, Piper Cherokee Warrior . Also have an hour in my neighbors Grumman Widgeon

man i really never post when somebody post pics of his Z, as everybody always says what i would say "oh wow, insane!" and etc etc etc.

but man that Z is awesome, it just has that stance!!!!!

mike

My understanding of diffusers is that the air flowing under the car must smoothly exit through an expanding area so that the air pressure decreases. Turbulance is the enemy here. The fencing used in the photo helps align the airflow to prevent turbulance, and the angle of the roof, as well as the distance to the pavement is important. I believe an angle of about 7º is about max (in general), but can be effective at higher angles if the diffuser is closer to the pavement. High angles introduce turbulance, which destroys the decreased pressure. How effective such a device is may be dependent upon what the air is doing prior to reaching the diffuser. A smooth chassis floor is a "must" in my opinion, which is impossible with the usual HybridZ configuration of a transmission tunnel, differential, and exhaust pipes) unless you can stand the high interior temperatures and overheating of the differential and tranny by placing a floor under all of this. It would be nice to see some testing with this device that Darius has, as this one "appears" to have some functionality in its design, but I wonder what's happening to the air before it gets to it.

When my Z project is complete, I plan for it to have a completely flat sheetmetal underbelly from end to end and I've considered constructing a 2/3-3/4 length under-car diffuser to attach to it.

I haven't adequately researched the idea yet, (nor am I a physicist) but my understanding is that the full length under-car diffuser serves two purposes. First, it assists in accelleration of the air while under the car. This creates a low pressure zone under the car, helping with downforce. Second, the rear portion of the diffuser helps to integrate the air coming over the roofline with that coming out from under the car, to reduce drag.

I've even read of some people having their exhaust exit into the diffuser mid-car to accellerate the air further, to increase downforce. However, some results I read showed that when you suddenly let off the gas... there goes your downforce, and things can get squirrelly kind of quick!

if youre real slick you would mount your underbody to your suspension. constant ground clearance. realized that when i was making a carbon fiber underbody for a Formula SAE car my team was building the other year. however its not incredibly practical on a z. whatever though.. doooit.