HybridZ

are brake dust shields required?

im doin the 4x4 front and disk brake conversion in the back. im wondering if the dust plates in the front are required? wats the advantages of having them on/off. i can imagine having them on would protect againts degris or mud from getting at the vents.... but having them off would save some weight (uh...) and provide better cooling. but then again with the backspacing on my new wheels i have plenty of cooling.... lol

brakes03.jpg

i want to keep the dust shield off but since the rotor actually sticks out that much, susceptable to oncoming road debris (as opposed to the "protect" rotors protect by the wheel on rims with more backspacing), is it better to keep the dust shield on?? tia

No, you don't need them persay. Consider this though, some are designed to direct air flow for cooling purposes (not the S30's unless you modify for an air duct). Most importantly, should some road debris be kicked up and into the rotor it may shove the shield against the rotor BUT it won't possibly get jammed up into the caliper/rotor. The odds are well against this happening but it could happen. Of course, a brake line could get severed too and create a bad situation too. Just imagine a scenario where you only a one front brake functioning and you need to brake HARD...the faster, the scarier.

Of course, a brake line could get severed too and create a bad situation too. Just imagine a scenario where you only a one front brake functioning and you need to brake HARD...the faster, the scarier.

????

If a brake line gets severed, then what is a dust shield going to do you keep you from losing hydraulic pressure to both front brakes? How is either front brake going to work?

I would think the issue would be road debris damaging the rotor or mud/liquid causing it to become slippery.