HybridZ

I've choosen the engine I'd like :)

After weighing my options I've decieded that i'm going to get the engine out of a 1994 Caprice with the 5.7L 350 -- I'm not sure exactly what kind of engine it has (LT1, L98, ?? -- etc) but I do know they're common around here, and they have the 700r4 tranny that I'm looking for -- I've already got a friend of mine who has agreed to wire it up.

I'm still waiting for the JTR book to arrive -- but I'd just like to know if the JTR mounts would fit it (I'm assuming they will)

& are there any other things I need to take into consideration?

It turns out my employer (Sony) is SCREWING me out of re-emburisment (3k) for school because they're laying us all off -- and since the announcement was before the end of the term I don't get anything.... at least I get a 1k sign on bonus with a new company...

Thanks,

Lvcien

94 caprice with a 350? would this be an impala ss? i thought those were the only ones that came with 350's, and I think they have corvette drivetrains.

those are really nice by the way, there was one by where i used to live with a set of 20's... very nice

9C1 caprice had an LT1. Basically the same as an impalla except with an auto tranny and different quarter windows.

Can be had for cheap because they were cop cars, careful finding one that has not been beat on (smaller townships police departments usually, if the only have 1 or 2 cars they take better care of them because its not as easy to get a new one.)

Getting a 95 and up will get you an improved optispark distributor. Those suckers are expensive to fix. If given a choice, get the 95 or later.

There is one on ebay, complete with tranny, for $1300.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_LT1and-LT4-Engines_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

it is out of a Camaro so it will have aluminum heads with 275 HP. The Caprice motors are iron heads with less HP.

Caprices had the 4Le60 tranny not the 700R4 and came with low output LT1's. By that I mean they are iron headed instead of the aluminum headed motors that come out in the camaro/firebird and I THINK impala's. I helped a buddy mod one and it was decent but the heads held it back and it would eat stock trannies monthly.

All factory LT1 in B-bodies were auto trans. 94-96 Caprice with 5.7 should be LT1. As noted it is an iron head model. Note that TONS of people have argued for and against the iron head. IME, the iron head is equal to if not better than the AL head. Google it.

For comparisons sake, two friends had modded Impalas. First was a 94 with pocket ported iron heads and a Crane cam. It had stock manifolds and a Flowmaster cat back. Put down 297 at the wheels. Second was a 96 which had AFR aluminum heads and SLP headers with a Borla cat back. It put down 265 at the wheels. At least on a stock motor the heads are not what's holding it back but the cam, or the exhaust manifolds for that matter.

I have (2) LT1s. One copy car motor and one from a '96 SS that has CNC ported AL heads, but only enough of the electonics to FI one of them. The iron head motor with a carburetor and a single shorty belt rigged up to an alternator seems to be an ideal swap motor for a Z. Pocket port the heads and put the $525 LT4 conversion package in the motor and put 300+ ponies to the wheels.

For comparisons sake, two friends had modded Impalas. First was a 94 with pocket ported iron heads and a Crane cam. It had stock manifolds and a Flowmaster cat back. Put down 297 at the wheels. Second was a 96 which had AFR aluminum heads and SLP headers with a Borla cat back. It put down 265 at the wheels. At least on a stock motor the heads are not what's holding it back but the cam, or the exhaust manifolds for that matter.

Well something was DEFFINETLY wrong with that second car. Mismatched parts or something. There is no way that a properly tuned car with aftermarket aluminum heads and headers will dyno less than a stock iron head'd motor with exhaust manifolds, even with a port job. My guess is either his tune was way off, his cam was not matched up correctly for his car or a mixture of all the above.

I used to run a '95 Trans Am and had moderate mods done and had a buddy with a '96 and more money than brains. This was back in the late 90's and LT1 parts were still being developed and everytime a new part came out he HAD to have it. Well the problem was even though he had twice the parts I did he could never touch me at the track. He used to get so frustrated with it till one day my car was at teh shop getting a 383 kit installed and he talked to the owner of the shop about his car and the guy told him. He had a bunch of nice parts but nothing worked with one another and he ended up having his motor tore down and rebuilt using different heads, cam and LT4 intake and the damn thing came to life. Needless to say I couldnt touch him after that.........till I got my bottle :flamedevi

I've got one of those Iron head LT1s in my Z and it is not front heavy at all. Everything else on the engine is aluminum so there is quite a bit of weight savings over a standard SBC.

I swapped the stock cam for an LT4 hot cam copy and heavier valve springs and it pulls hard to just under 6000 rpm. I also have shorty headers and a lighter 305 flywheel so it revs very quickly.

It sounds to me like that car described earlier with the AFR heads had the stock cam which in puts out 265 hp with the stock heads.

There's a web page somewhere that lists flow rates for the LT1 heads (OEM and aftermarket) and stock iron heads flowed 20% more than the stock aluminum. The iron heads were developed later in the life of the LT1 and the port and chamber designs are more efficient and were the basis for the Vortec heads.

I agree though that you want a 95 or later with the 95 being the prefered year. It has the vented optispark, the PCM can be flashed without removing a chip and it's still OBDI so the programming is simpler.

If you're serious about the Caprice you found make sure it has an LT1, most had the L99 which is a 4.3L V8. They all had the 4L60E tranny which is a computer controlled 4-speed auto. If it's a cop car (9C1 package) chances are 3rd gear is gone so be sure to check it out real good. I picked up an entire 95 model retired Montana cop car for $1000.00, 3rd gear was gone but I was able to drive it home. Get the whole car if you can as there are lots of parts that you'll want to transfer to your Z, especially the engine bay wiring harness.

Wheelman