HybridZ

Value of V8 260z

Guest shiftbmw

Guest shiftbmw

Hello Everyone-

I've been a long time lurker, but this is my first post. I've been much more active on zcar.com in the past. I've been in the Z scene for a few years now in both Northern California and now San Diego.

My question is rather broad, and is as follows:

I'm going to be selling my 260z, with a swapped chevy V8. Nothing crazy, maybe just over 300 horsepower. The motor is very recent(just broken in). 4 speed. Fuel cell, R200, you guys know the drill. Converted with JTR kit. Brakes and suspension are nicely done. The interior needs a bit of love, a few trim pieces, etc. The pans and rails have been completely gone through and redone. They are solid. Little bit rust in the rear wheel wells, nothing structural.

The exterior is ok, could use a little touchup in a few places. Paint is a 7/10, wheels are nice, tires are brand new.

I'm curious as to what a fair price would be for this car? While it does need a bit of cosmetic cleanup, the motor is essentially new, and it runs and drives great. I'm not looking to make a killing on the sale, just sell it to someone who will love it. Considering what a decent Z goes for in San Diego, I was thinking of asking 6k/offer. Am I close?

Yup, that's about the going rate. :2thumbs:

I'd expect you'll get some traffic with some nice pics posted in the forsale section. You'll sell it. It'll just take a little time for the right guy/gal to hear about it and come see it.

Mike

Well honestly you cant really give a going rate, its whatever the market will bare and what someone is willing to pay for it.

What you might see as a 6K car some may not, then again you do have a lot of lowballers as well.

Go with what you think and give yourself some haggle room so you dont undersell it as well, if its fairly clean put it up on ebay, definetly will sell for more then your local forums.

Guest shiftbmw

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I haven't been around hybridz long enough to put in the classifieds, but I suppose anyone who wants more info is welcome to message me...

Guest bastaad525
Well honestly you cant really give a going rate' date=' its whatever the market will bare and what someone is willing to pay for it.

What you might see as a 6K car some may not, then again you do have a lot of lowballers as well.

Go with what you think and give yourself some haggle room so you dont undersell it as well, if its fairly clean put it up on ebay, definetly will sell for more then your local forums.[/quote']

and right now, the market ain't baring much, let me tell you.

The car may be WORTH 6k, but I predict you don't get any serious buyers at that price point.

Case in point, I had a 240z (inherently more valuable than a 260), california car with very little rust, with the turbo L6 conversion, intercooler and many other upgrades, and asked this same question and was told $6000 was a good asking price.

Only after running my ad for FIVE MONTHS and lowering the price several times until it finally hit $4000 did I finally get a buyer.

Check the for sale section there are a lot of nice Z's going for sale right now that havent sold for quite some time, many of them well under that price range with V8's.

There you go, as bastaad, you just put it all into perspective. I know of another turbo conversion with some really nice parts on it for 5k right now, I wonder if hes sold it.

It seems the only place you can sell it is on ebay.

In my opinion, it boils down to a few uncontrollable factors... Typically, you have a timing issue between the ideal buyer and the seller. Getting the two together is the big unknown that sometimes works great and the seller gets his asking, or even MORE. Sometimes, as Bastaad found, it doesn't work out. :roll:

Mike :cool:

Not to disrespect anyone, but I would gladly pay a few grand more for a V8Z than an inline turbo one. In fact, I would be afraid to buy a used turbo car from some motor head. Much more complicated and many more things (expensive things) that could be wrong.

Plus IMO V8Z's are more unigue than a turbo Z. They kind of bridge both worlds of old school hot rods and small imports.

But that is just my opinion.

Guest shiftbmw
Ill give you 3k sight unseen..... >_>

Hehe...I'll keep it in mind...

You guys pretty much all said what I expected. I figured 6k was a decent starting place, but I'm realistic so my price will most definately be flexible. I'm not looking to take anyone's life savings for the car or anything.

If someone comes to take a look, I'll tell them to offer me what they think it's worth. If it doesn't align with my 6k guideline, that's ok, I'll still seriously consider it.

Basically, I'll seriously consider serious offers.

Guest bastaad525

it's funny because I swear I have seen FAR more V8 converted, running and driveable 240z's selling in the $3500 range, whereas most done up L28et 240's are usually more. Mine was a pretty mild setup though, mostly stock with only a few mods as far as the engine and power went. I know I know... it's all subjective and could be affected by tens of factors... not saying one is inherently more 'valuable' than the other, that's just what I've seen (which is what made me regret spending so much doing my turbo swap when I coulda snatched up so many nice V8's for ~$3500!!).

Can't say I disagree with the sentiment of V8 vs. turbo as far as ease of ownership... a carb'd V8 is of course super easy to work on, don't need to have a bachelors in electrical ;) But the L28ET has it's advantages too... much more docile in around town driving instead of that instant torque from the slightest movement of the pedal with the V8. Potentially better gas mileage too if we're talking EFI vs. carb'd V8. And I think few people would deny that a properly running EFI car is always going to be all around better than a carb'd car if both are making the same power.

Either is gonna be fast and fun, I'd take either again, though having done the turbo thing, I'm more likely to go V8 next time. IF I CAN FIND ONE WITH A FRIGGIN MANUAL TRANS!!!! They're all sweet seriously I love ALL hybrids as long as it's a S30 and it's fast I'll take it!

And about my SRT looking like a Neon...that's the idea!!!! Well, not quite :mrgreen: still got the lower stance from front, side, and rear bodywork, dual exhaust, oh and that intercooler peeking out of the front :twisted: Anyone who cares is gonna know what it is, but hopefully it will now fly a little lower on the radar of our friendly local law enforcement and punk kids who rev their little 1.6 honda motors at anything with a wing. I've always prefered to have more of a capable sleeper than a loud underperformer. If my wife would let me I'd paint this thing flat black, put a single tip, not-oversized exhaust, and black out the I/C! But you know... being a new car and all she doesnt' get why I want to 'ruin' it.

Guest shiftbmw
I've got 3k in my hot little hands.... I need a car for my dad to thrash while i ma way so he dosnt touch mine..... sell me it now!!!

Well, if you come take a look and make me a bit more of a serious offer I might be interested in talking. I'd throw it on ebay long before I took 3k.