HybridZ

T5, Tremec TKO and the dreaded Hydrailics issue...

Mikelly

Yup' date=' the clutch fork is hitting the firewall/ tranny tunnel on the driver's side. Bill I'll get pics out this weekend...

I'll likely end up with that $350-ish hybdraulic bearing setup instead of the clutch fork/ throwout bearing... We'll see after I look at it this weekend.

Mike[/quote']

Mike, consider the Quartermaster and Sonic (Tilton) stuff. It's cheaper, and has a good track record.

Personally, I'm going for the Sonic 153 tooth bellhousing: http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=273&m=d

I will probably get it here (best price I've found):

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=862,192,45,363_4163&action=product

And the companion, 4-leg hydraulic release bearing, that bolts to the bellhousing: http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=199&m=d#

Again, I'll probably get it from hrpworld (PN 20015):

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=867,192,45,363_4168&action=product

Note the HRB doesn't have any hoses - you have to supply those. I've found that you can go to a place like:

Name: Colliflower Inc

Address: 10630 Riggs Hill Road Suite F, Jessup, MD 20794 Jessup, MD 20794

Phone Number: (410) 792-8700

and have a crimped hydraulic hose made pretty cheap. Many of these places don't like to make stuff for automotive purposes due to liability reasons, so don't mention what it's for. (Although the guy at the above place had no problem with it and bragged that he made a bunch of stuff for the local DSM tuner shop.)

I asked the managing engineer at Tilton about both the

Sonic part and the 61-601 Tilton HRB that fits on the replacement input bearing retainer base (61-615) for the T5 and he said the hydraulics were the same stuff and both are very reliable.

(Oh, yeah, I'm about to send my T5 to Modern Drivelines for the G-Force treatments, but Bruce says he's had a lag in getting gearsets but hopes to have them in a week or so. I won't send it until he has them.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, Unfortunately I'm stuck with this brand new Mcleod bellhousing, or I'd be all over that specific setup. Ground clearance alone would be sweet. Unfortunately, I have a header issue anyway, so I'm not even thinking about cutting the existing bellhousing as of yet... Until you get off your arse and whip up those custom headers for me anyway! :lmao:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the parts you listed can be found cheaper... Check with Port City, Coleman and SCP.

Mike :2thumbs:

Mike called me the other night to admit it too. I laughed histerically for a minute or so :). :flamedevi:malebitch

:lmao: I'm pretty sure when you answered the phone my comment was I hate you or I hate when you're right! :lmao:

Damn Damn Damn! :lmao:

Now if I can just get the TIME to get back into the garage...

Mike

Pete, Unfortunately I'm stuck with this brand new Mcleod bellhousing, or I'd be all over that specific setup. Ground clearance alone would be sweet. Unfortunately, I have a header issue anyway, so I'm not even thinking about cutting the existing bellhousing as of yet... Until you get off your arse and whip up those custom headers for me anyway! :lmao:

Yeah, yeah. Kind of hard to make custom headers when you car is in the body shop! I don't know what year I'll get to that. But Glenn needs a tranny bad (his slushbox died and he needs a manual anyway). So I'm selling him my setup minuse flywheel and PP, and going with the G-Force T-5, that bellhousing and HRB above, and a new disc.

The flange on my Lakewood bellhousing hung down too low. By cutting it off parallel to the ground, and flush with the bottom of the bellhousing "bell", it's about as low as a stock 7.5" deep oilpan.

But like you point out the 153tooth Sonic bellhousing I show above should help with long-tube header clearance also...

Also, I'm pretty sure that the parts you listed can be found cheaper... Check with Port City, Coleman and SCP.

I'm really looking around for lower prices. CVProducts quoted 295 for the bellhousing, 149 for the HRB. The problem is you need to contact all of the race type suppliers since they only list the small diameter bellhousings for 5.5 and 7.25" clutch setups, etc. I'm doing that now. I will check these.

But what's SCP?

Stock Car Products?

Pete, Earl's and Russell have all lengths and end types of -3 stainless hose, and summit stocks about all of them. That's what I used when I plumbed up my HTOB, they worked great.

Edit: Another good place to shop is pitstopusa.com. Their price on a set of superlites I recently bought was almost half of SCP's.

jt

Thanks, John.

BTW, PitstopUSA sent me a canned response that they will be getting back to me in 24 hours, which is tomorrow.

CVproducts got back to me in less than 8 hours (I've had great experiences with these guys, quick, knowledgeable, and the pricing is always competitive):

"We have the bellhousing in stock for 295.40. The TO bearing would be 148.75, but I would need to order it."

jrmotorsports just got back to me and was considerably higher than any price I've found on the web yet.:

"TIL 12003 $359.99. I have this bell housing in stock.

TIL 20015 $162.99 this will not be available for 4-6 weeks."

I'll keep shopping.

So will these TOBearings work with the stock alum tilted camero bellhousing?

That TOBearing I mentioned above mounts into special bolting holes in that specific bellhousing, which are just outside of the register hole for the input shaft bearing retainer. I guess if you were industrious, you could get it to mount in the T-5 bellhousing, with machining, etc.

But Tilton and others have solutions that would work better.

Take a look at page 46 of the Tilton catalog for their solution to using a stock bellhousing. You'd buy the 61-601 hydraulic release bearing (HRB) (to work with a 10.5" clutch PP) and the 61-615 "base assembly" for the Camaro T-5. The base assembly replaces the input shaft bearing retainer on the T-6 and provides the correct mounting place for the 61-601 HRB.

Well seeing that I just got the call that my clearances crossed over for this new position, and I'll start next week sometime, and my income will have gone back to what it "was" before the start up of our little company, I'm gonna go ahead and order the tilton bearing retainer and release bearing kit for my setup.

Guess I'm done with the thought of "massaging" the tranny tunnel.

Mike

Well that stung! $411 for the retainer (Special TKO 600 partnumber required) and the bearing kit! :shock:

Damn I'd have gone the route Pete's going for sure had I DONE MORE RESEARCH! :banghead: :banghead:

So Let's review boys and girls:

TKO600 Tranny with all the fixin's (Shifter, backup light switch, mech speedo adapter, road race gearset) - $1800

Mcleod Bellhousing - $329 PLUS shipping

Clutch fork, adjustable pivot ball and dowel pin kit - $65 *(Of which I now only need the Dowels! :roll:

Centerforce DF Cover/ PP - $179

Centerforce Clutch Disk - $79.00

Centerforce self centering Release Bearing - $27.00 *(which I won't be using now)

Tilton #61-625 - Bearing Retainer - $135

Tilton bearing kit # 61-601 - $269+shipping for bearing and retainer

Looks like this kit complete would run about $2900 including shipping on the various parts. I believe Pete's deal on the Sonic Bellhousing (Much better for ground clearance) and bearing kit would be about $475 shipped compared to the over $750 (Factoring shipping into it) I spent on the bellhousing and Tilton parts listed above. :roll:

Mike

Yep. By the time the dust settled around putting in my TKOII, I had almost $3500 in the trans, clutch & flywheel, shifter, HTOB and master cylinder, plus some bits and pieces.

The price of the trans has come down about $300 since then.

jt

To further hijack Mike's thread:

Coleman Racing:

Sonic/Tilton Bellhousing PN 12003 $333 (Well, I'm guessing, since it has the same product description as the Tilton catalog:

http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_390&products_id=10112

Didn't find the release bearing. But that price is not really competitive, so forget them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Howe makes a pretty good hydraulic throwout bearing that costs less than $150 at Summit. I've had one in my car for two years with no issues. It is truly a daily driver. Currently running a Muncie 4-speed (70ish 355 LT-1) but bought a t56 today from Keisler.

Yes, the Howe unit is J-U-N-K... It isn't designed for anything other than a stock 250CRANK HP power rating. The idiot (not me for a change) who installed it saw it in the documentation warning of the lower power rating and when I told him to CALL HOWE and NOT to install it until the issue was confirmed or denied, chose to ignore it and install... It lasted about 150 miles and is one of the reasons Jim's car isn't running... Hydraulic release bearings are nothing to go cheap on, unless you like dropping the tranny multiple times!

Mike :cool:

• 1 month later...

Mike, Pete I'm freaking lost here! I started out 2 months ago, (this is after I figured out what to get and had it all lined up and ready to install) and...

I found out I had a V6 WC T-5. SO I rebuild it, Ford Cobra R gearset w/ GM input, and rebuild kit from thegearbox.org. 500 for the trans originally then another 700 or so to rebuild. Ok, so it's topnotch now, should hold up to about 400 hp easy.

Last weekend I get ready to bolt eveything up (Freshly re-ground flywheel, Pressure plate and bellhousing to take the necesarry measurments for the HTOB i got from Tilton. It's the same set up Mike mentions above. The flywheel ends up being for a 1pc rear main and doesn't fit my older 2pc main seal crank....DOH!!!! So to remedy that I order a RAM 1511 billit flywheel and some ARP bolds to button it all up! Sweet, another 250 bucks....

SO I get my parts today, psyched to get home, get the flywheel on and all the other mumbo... I take my measurments w/ the STOCK ALUM Camero? flywheel that's tilted to the driverside like 15 Deg or whatever. My HTOB at the lowest setting is still about 1/2 inch too long for based on the instructions.

So can I get a longer belhousing? Is this bellhousing for a V6 and shorter somehow? I can't see that being the case since the measurments should be the same for the T5 face to back of engine no matter what....

oh, unless the input shafts are different lenght between the V6 14 spline and the V8 26 spline.....SH!T. lemme go measure.....

*********EDIT**********

Ok, looking at the two input shafts (even though the V8 is installed into the tranny right now) there is a DEFINITE enough difference between them to tell me that I now get to find a new bellhousing.... hey, what's another 350 bucks...

That race prepped 200R w/ a ratchet shifter is looking pretty damn good (and cheap) right about now.....

Lessons learned so far....

Check SPLINE COUNT when buying a T5 (you want 26 for a V8)

Check FLANGE Diameter of your flywheel (2-1/16" for 1pc rear main; 2-1/2' for the 2pc)

Check the depth of your bellhousing, not sure of this dim yet but I'll post it when I get the two compared...

I'll get there....

**EDIT** I measured the depth of the bellhousing this morning, it's 6-10/64 deep. I'm going to try to call tilton and or Ram some time today and see what they recomend...