HybridZ

Vg30det Speedo&tach info ???

1988 SSDET

Hello, I have a running 1988 300zx ss with a vg30det installed mated with a 5 speed. It runs good but, Two things first how do get vvt working and second I want to use my stock gauge cluster (speedo &tach) with this vg30det ecu. With the 88 300zx the gauges are fed from the ecu so I have no speedo cable to work with. Any info would be helpfull

Ok I set up a photobucket accnt to do this hopefully this works... Like I said I'm looking for vvt info??? How do I turn it on etc? and how to get my Stock gauge cluster working with The vg30det's ecu..Thanks for any help...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/ihoffa/778481_43_full.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/ihoffa/778481_6_full.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/ihoffa/778481_7_full.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/ihoffa/778481_8_full.jpg

The tach simply takes it's signal from the ECU - usually wire 7 if you have a scematic of the ECU. The transmission (Is it an automatic or a 5-speed?) should have an electronic sending unit as well, the '90-later 300ZX transmissions do. The VG30DET ECU should br running the "VVT" (NVCS in Nissan nomenclature). If you have a scematic for the VG30DET car you should be able to match it to the Z31 dash imputs.

I have a similar swap (DETT) and I have a functioning tach but have not bothered working with the speedo (my older car dash uses cable and the trans has electronic output)

This is all I have on the ecu. I cant find much in english on the Cedric y33 vg30det wiring diagrams.. I know I dont have the Speed sensor in the tranny for the speedo. I'd love to have a wiring diagram for the motor I know they are close to TT. Here is the pin info I do have for the ecu..

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/ihoffa/Vg30detpinout.jpg

If your speedo is mechanical, it is cable driven, then you may be able to replace the electronic sender in the gearbox with a mechanical one. Not sure about your gearbox but some will take both types.

Some questions. Which gearbox and flywheel are you using? Any tricks in fitting a manual gearbox? I have the same engine which is going in a 280ZX. Will be using an aftermarket ECU which will drive the variable valve timing.

In order to go 5 speed you will need a TT bell housing, flywheel and clutch setup, and add it onto the 87+ 5 speed (Z31). I noticed my engine has alot of power as a 5 speed engine also keep all of the harness!! dont thow anything away until I say its safe because there are things on the harness you will need to add to the engine harness too. Ill explain when the time comes.. . Yeah and there is the stand alone ecu route. I'd rather spend my $2200 on body and performance upgrades (Injectors Intercooler ETC). but I see now that I'll need a Haltech or something of the sort in future to make real power. I've got spring fever bad. I've talked to a guy down in OZ http://www.meggala.com/partcss.htm He Has alot of info. What type of trannys do you have down there? I'll send you step by step on how this was put together. Just let me Know

Thanks for the offer, you have already confirmed the essentials though, TT box, clutch and flywheel. Any problems with the spigot bearing?

Yeh getting a good aftermarket ECU is a slug in the pocket but I'm going for 500whp with a GT35R turbo so in the long run its worth it, the ECU alone can add significant power. The S30 in my gallery has a MoTec, its just brilliant.

Just wondering with your VVT if its possible to add something on just to work it alone. They are not that complex in operation are they?

Meggala is good, he is pretty clued up about Nissans.

It all went together pretty easy with out much effort. I have even drove the car from Fl to Va about 650 miles.. The tranny was fine but the trip brought out a host of other problems, that I needed to problem solve on the fly. Nothing major with the motor. Simple stuff like the Nismo oil filler cap gasket swelled and wouldn't seal. I had to get another filler cap but plastic.. I did notice that engine really made alot of power at night when it was cooler, a noticeable difference from the hot days driving at interstate speed. I think its starving for a intercooler. The difference was well Day & Night.. My plans for this car is to be drivable track machine. I plan on 450 whp to 500 whp Someday, but for now I was wanting to get everything proper and stock for the spring. Like I said with vvt or as I learned nvcs works from the ecu and probably be taken care of with a aftermarket Ecu. The stock gauges are important to retain. I'm flexible for any custom ideas as well??? I have a upright TT radiator with plenty of room for a large intercooler upfront. A lot of the finer tuning seems to over my head for now. I was wanting to nail down a couple things before it goes to the tuners. I still need to know what RPM the Nvcs solenoid needs to activate and if anyone has a engine wiring diagram???

Here is the Z32 service manual if thats any help http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

Sounds like your aims are similar to mine. For an intercooler I have in mind doing away with the two side throttle bodies and modifying the plenum to fit one large TB at the front, right where the fuel pressure regulator presently is. Might be a bit cramped for space to do that on a Z31 compared with a 280ZX.

Not strictly necessary of course, just to simplify tuning, pipework etc a bit.

With this Vg30det I have dual throttle bodys and I have to think in equal lengths for my piping. Space is very limted at the present. I'm thinking maybe a cowl induction hood to ease my space issue. I really want a clean from the factory look. Its really to early to tell where this will go at the present according to nissan specs I'm running 280hp on the stock setup. Minus of course not having the damn vvt working it feels alot less. Thanks for the dett manual I'll look it over and see what can apply.

• 6 months later...

well i am doing this swap as well in an 86t. you do not need to swap the bellhousings on the trans period.the bwt5 bolts right to it with the bwt5 you would have to use a z32 na clutch since the bwt5 uses a 240mm clutch.or you could use the 87 up trans and use tt clutch since they are both 250mm.for my swap ill be using a tremec t56 upgrade for a mustang with a wilwood hyd slave inside the bellhousing.will have to either have a custom clutch made or if i can get my hands on a new mustang clutch to compare size with the one for a z32.