HybridZ

Stupid question...

zeiss150

Hey Z people! So I was driving around in my 240 today and I came up on a infiniti G35 that thought he was a bad a$$. long story short I smoked him!:burnout:Now maybe he was not that good of a driver or maybe he wasn't trying that hard but it sure was fun for me. Long live the L28!

Here is my (stupid) question... How does Nissan rate there horse power? Is it break HP (at the flywheel) or is it Rear Wheel Horse Power Or is it some other thing that I don't know about? I know that the 350Z and the G35 have 289HP but I don't know if thats at the flywheel or rear wheel? and what is the industry standard? For example the Isusu WRX sti has 300 hp but all the stuff I've ever read on it never specifies flywheel or rear wheel? Everything we talk about on hybrid Z is RWHP so I just want to know what todays cars are going by.

Thanks for the Info.

Good info so far guys, but does anyone know the industry standard for today? I know that back in the day the 280 - 280zx had SAE rating that I think was Flywheel horse Power with no accessories (no water pump, no altinator, no AC). Basicly if it doesn't make HP they took it off.

So do they use that same stupid kind of HP rating?

They should have a HP to weight ratio ... then we could judge pound for pound which car has more balls.

nissan rated at gross HP for the first run of Z's, then for ZX's they started using net HP, and according to a few manuals I have read, they rated the HP at the back of the transmission?!?!? how odd is that? so, it still lost HP going through the rear end and crap.

anyway, thats the reason the 280Z is rated at 177HP and the next year ZX is rated at 135hp. same engine, different ratings.

I beleive Nissan uses the Flywheel rating method now, as i think that is industry standard. the 350Zs put down about 245 to 250 rwhp in every magazine dyno I've seen.

In 2005, the Society of Automotive Engineers introduced a new test procedure (J2723) for engine horsepower and torque. The procedure eliminates some of the areas of flexibility in power measurement, and requires an independent observer present when engines are measured. The test is voluntary, but engines completing it can be advertised as "SAE-certified".

Many manufacturers began switching to the new rating immediately, often with surprising results. The rated output of Cadillac's supercharger Northstar V8 jumped from 440 hp (328 kW) to 469 hp (350 kW) under the new tests, while the rating for Toyota's Camry 3.0 L 1MZ-FE V6 fell from 210 hp (157 kW) to 190 hp (142 kW). The first engine certified under the new program was the 7.0 L LS7 used in the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Certified power rose slightly from 500 hp (373 kW) to 505 hp (377 kW).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Up until 1971 engines were rated at the flywheel with NO accessories or exhaust. In 71 ratings were changed to reflect "as installed" and they have continued to tweak them, but same holds true.

My mom's G35 doesn't seem that fast to me, not 260 hp fast at least. My Impala SS would pound it with its 265 hp.

I think you answered you own question zeiss150. You said that the 350z and the G35 both had 289 hp. From where you got those numbers I think its rated gross(flywheel) HP. The G35 is AWD and looses some HP in the power distibution so I would be a little slower (faster off the line).