HybridZ

I had lunch with a new Z06 Yesterday...

Mikelly

:lmao: Yea, there were people there, but hey, I was focused on the car.

Last weekend local Corvette Owners were going to get together at a little Diner I have just up the street from me. Then we got dumped on with 10 inches of snow and it was cancelled. So this weekend guys were going to try to get together for lunch instead... ONE guy drove down from Northern Virginia in snow flurries, in his BRAND NEW 30 day tagged Z06. And he was the only other guy to show. :lmao:

He and his buddy got out of the car and I walked out side and just walked over the car for 15 minutes. Seeing this car in person is simply amazing... Not passing in traffic, but SEEING and sitting in it. He offered me a ride in it, but there was no use as the air temps were in the 30s and I'd not been able to "experience" it, So I declined until next time.

Some of you guys make comments about people buying these giggabuck cars and how distasteful it is, but this guy is maybe 26 years old, and has an All wheel drive eagle talon drag car and a 240SX with an SR20DET swap in it. And he's already got parts on order to modify his new Vette. He's expecting well over 500WHP! :shock: Amazingly he and his buddy spent quite a bit of time looking over my 99 Coupe and all the work I'd done to it. These two cars were sitting side by side, backed into parking spaces at the front of the resteraunt and I must confess that I was lusting looking at the arse of that Vette... J-Lo ain't got nuttin' on that car. The rear tires and fender flares are amazing, and I swear the car looks a foot wider than my C5 and I've got 295-35-18s on the back of it... :lmao:

No camera, and I wished I'd brought it just so I could snap some comparison pics of it... I want one bad... And I may just have to pony up the $75K entry price next year. :roll:

Mike :cool:

Guest bastaad525

I seem to remember reading on some forum or magazine or what i don't remember, but that the new Z06's STOCK put down like 500 to the wheels. They are supposed to be highly underrated and also, they use the new rating system which apparently gives lower flywheel numbers than the old system, meaning the dyno numbers on your typical dynojet would be higher by comparison.

And anyways... there's no distaste in buying a Z06, I hardly consider that a 'megabuck' car. That's what's so great about it, top of the heap supercar performance, for a 'movin on up', mid-range luxo-sedan price. I know it's more expensive than, say, building your own hybrid z from scratch... so what? It's an awesome car for an awesome price and much as I love home built, sleeper performance I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had that kind of cash.

EDIT: why did you say $75k entry price? I thought they stickered right around $60k? they getting gouged that bad?

Bastaad, The "out the door" price on the Yellow, with ALL options, including navigation, audio, polished rims, all memory packages, heads up display, taxes, tags, out the door, the cost is $78K+. Base price without ANY of the special color options or navigation/ audio, and with painted wheels, it's starting at $65900. Also, they are rated At the crank to 505HP. Some of them have recorded about 470 to the wheels, but most are coming in around 445-455 range to the wheels.

As for being gouges, there are a number of dealerships throughout the country adding as much as $30K to that price I posted above. But I've found 6 dealerships within 200 miles that will sell at invoice! :2thumbs:

Doc, I'm likely stuck with mine for one more year. It's a good kinda stuck though, since I'm gonna bolt on a Fast intake and some Dart aluminum heads onto it and be sitting at somewhere north of 430WHP! :-)

Mike :cool:

One of these days, I'd like to meet you in person to see the man and the machines.

I've decided to go to SEZ, damn I typed in an x instead of a z, guess you know what I'm thinking. Anyway, going to change the gears to 4.30, change the intake rocker ratio from 1.5 to 1.55, carb jetting and possibly timing, trailer it and head that way on the Thursday before SEZ. You going?

That Z06 is a sweeeeet car to put it mildly. If I had the money, I'd probably buy one. I don't think the Viper is any bigger, but it sure looks bigger seeing them on the pages and in person. I think GM hit the nail on the head with that Vette and I'd love to own one *sigh*

Davy

I think they're laying down in the 430 to 440 RWHP range. LG Motorsports with their longtubes and simple removal of a short piece of 2.5" piping to fit in some 3" put down close to 475RWHP. I don't think 500 is out of the the range for these cars. Can't wait until I get out of school and can afford a crate motor ;)

Guest bastaad525

I need to find the magazine I saw where they dynoed one on a dynojet. As we all know, dynojets typically record about 15% less than factory flywheel ratings, and this Z06 put down significantly more than that, I don't remember the exact number, but they were saying that it was underrated, and was making closer to 530 crank hp.

Road and Track is the Magazine You're thinking of Baastad. It was the comparo between the Ford GT, the New Viper and the Z06. They were all underrated. They were all reading higher than should have been for 15% driveline losses... That's suspicious in my mind. One car reading higher than expected and you figure "OK that car is underrated from the factory", but ALL THREE? I'm more inclined to think it was the dyno, personally.

Most guys over on CorvetteForum are seeing in the 445-450 WHP range when they dyno. The factory exhaust manifolds are massive, so headers are a real hatrick for power with these. Normally on a C5 LS1/LS6 based vette, the LG headers are good for about 25-30 HP at the wheels with a mild software tune. They suspect that the LGs on the LS7 will only net between 15-20. BUT, the car has supposedly been de-tuned a bit and has a fairly small cam. Couple guys are already working with cam makers on a custom cam, and Lou from LG is working up a complete packaged for the Z06, to include headers, CAI, CAM and couple other small things. The install and tuning will be the big $$$ hit. Probably looking at $8000 when all is said and done and out the door, but then you're probably looking at well over 550 to the wheels. :shock:

Doc, I had planned on attending southeastZ, but I found out last night that I've been selected to do VIR North Course with MazdaDrivers club that weekend, so I am probably going to go play on the road course that weekend instead... They are giving me one day free, since I lost a day last year when the car blew up! :2thumbs:

Mike

Road and Track is the Magazine You're thinking of Baastad. It was the comparo between the Ford GT' date=' the New Viper and the Z06. They were all underrated. They were all reading higher than should have been for 15% driveline losses... That's suspicious in my mind. One car reading higher than expected and you figure "OK that car is underrated from the factory", but ALL THREE? I'm more inclined to think it was the dyno, personally.

Most guys over on CorvetteForum are seeing in the 445-450 WHP range when they dyno. The factory exhaust manifolds are massive, so headers are a real hatrick for power with these. Normally on a C5 LS1/LS6 based vette, the LG headers are good for about 25-30 HP at the wheels with a mild software tune. They suspect that the LGs on the LS7 will only net between 15-20. BUT, the car has supposedly been de-tuned a bit and has a fairly small cam. Couple guys are already working with cam makers on a custom cam, and Lou from LG is working up a complete packaged for the Z06, to include headers, CAI, CAM and couple other small things. The install and tuning will be the big $$$ hit. Probably looking at $8000 when all is said and done and out the door, but then you're probably looking at well over 550 to the wheels. :shock:

Doc, I had planned on attending southeastZ, but I found out last night that I've been selected to do VIR North Course with MazdaDrivers club that weekend, so I am probably going to go play on the road course that weekend instead... They are giving me one day free, since I lost a day last year when the car blew up! :2thumbs:

Mike[/quote']

Stock dyno: http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=2

LG Motorsports long tube headers: http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=5

About 40RWHP and 50 lb ft. of torque on their dyno.

I do believe that Ford has learned their lesson from the 99 Cobra and rated power output. I'm sure Dodge and Chevy kept that in mind when putting their packages together.

Do you have a link to any videos you've taken of you on the road course?