HybridZ

Field Manual Rebuilding Long Nose R200

zgeezer

I just had a real bad experience with a differential rebuilder. The upshot is I received back from his shop my r200 case, pinion, seals, bearings, ring and lsd carrier back in a box with a rant that I could put it all in a place " wher the sun dont shine". He kept the check though. I paid him to rebuild a 3:36 with new bearings and seals and to install the 300ZT clutch lsd carrier. It came back so tight I needed a 1/2 ratchet with an 8 inch handle to turn it and I could feel "detents" as it moved. I took it back to him after he assured me it would be great after "a few miles" on it. I pushed the issue and he dismantled it all and shipped it back to me. So, here I am and I think I'll take a crack at the rebuild.

Does anyone have a line on a Field Service Manual for the long neck R200?

g

WHOA!!!!!!

I would call the bank and cancell the check immeadiately...

I would call the better business bureau with a nasty report...

I would call a lawyer considering this is an EXPENSIVE component...beyond small claims court... He is liable for the parts he screwed up...

AND... I would have gone down to his shop and lambasted him in front of his employees...or coworkers...

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

To fix your problem.... The Nissan factory manuals are the place to go for information.... They cost relatively little compared to the cost of a fully functional LSD differential.

On the other hand.... The common shop information sources like "All Data" are good for some things... not so good for others... Nissan LSD IS NOT covered in the "All Data" manuals...... If you call for more information they will insist that there is no information for any of the early Nissan/Hitachi LSD units...

To address what the bastard did wrong.... well.... He got up one morning and went to work as a mechanic... He should have been digging ditches or picking up garbage in the park.... Do not believe ANYTHING he has to say...He is soo clueless he does not even realize how much he doesn't know.

The factory manuals will tell you all about the sizing and proper assembly of the diff...

There are several areas that have letters and number stamps... For instance.. The carrier case has letters "C" and "D" with numbers stamped near them... These are cryptic indications of the actual finished measurements of the case to the 1/100mm....

You can purchase shims from at least one manufacturer... The original shims may be reversed... or the idiot may have really buggered up the inside of the differential housing.. making accurate shimming impossible...