HybridZ

Crank Pully / Damper / Harmonic Balancer Question

trwebb26

Some blocks have two different places on the timing cover that the timing markers will bolt to. My L24 had it at on the right spot you marked, the L28 on the left spot. Have a look there.

Oh and forum software does not allow html. Click the little picture icon and then paste in the URL. Or i think its URL.

Dave

So i guess it is possible that the guy who owned the car before me put the wrong pulley on? I didn't know there was more than one location. I thought all timing indicators for L6 blocks were on the passenger side of the block.

pulley.jpg

Thanks for your help with inputing the picture.

You can't put the pulley on wrong. It only has one keyway.

Very your timing is right by taking oil filler cap off and checking that both #1 cam lobes are point upwards, then stick something down the spark plug hole and feel when it gets to its highest point.

Then unbolt the timing marks and move them to the correct side. I think. Unsure if timing covers have the spots for both or not. Worst case, mark with some white out on the pulley for the timing marker that is there.

Dave

I don't think you understand the question. For the crank to be at #1 TDC - the keyway should point up (like the picture i drew). In this orientation the timing mark on the pulley should line up with the timing marks on the block... They don't with my pulley. Clearer?

I may be wrong on this but I was told a long time ago that if the car came from the factory with AC that the timing mark was on the drivers side and if the car did not have AC the timing mark is on the passenger side. My 260 with factory AC had it on the drivers side and so does my friends, but my 240 without AC and my wifes 260 without AC both have the mark on the passenger side.

There should be a place on both sides of the timing chain cover were you can attach the timing pointer, just find the correct pointer or one of the pointers that only has a single point and no degree marks.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly has a good explanation. Basically there were several pulleys you can have, with marks on either side of the engine, depending on options of the donor vehicle. Such is the case with the L28 engines as well as earlier cars.

What I am suprised at is that nobody surmised the ELASTOMERIC DAMPENING RING FAILED and your timing slipped THAT way. On an L28, that is VERY common!

Wiggle that pulley and see if you can get it to move. It may be toast, and time for a BHJ Damper Upgrade.

When I get a new, or "new to me" pulley assembly, I will centerpunch a set of marks on the front and backside to indicate where the inner and outer pieces are in relation to one another. If they start moving, it becomes VERY easy to simply see the failed part, and not "think your timing slipped"....

As always, verify TDC on #1 to see which mark is the CORRECT position before deciding if anything is wrong or slipped... That is quick, easy, and lets you know your next step immediately!

I'm very curious about the "BHJ Damper Upgrade" I ordered one of the Nissan Motorsports Euro Pulleys, but they told me it will be anywhere from one week to one month to get it... I guess they come from Japan. What is the BHJ Damper Upgrade and where can I get some details. I have time to cancel my order.

Great idea about the center punches, BTW.

What do you think of this dampner?

zmonster4.jpg

Dragonfly

I like the dampner, I like the serpentine conversion, but geez, what is that, a timing belt ? On that water pump pulley, isn't the water pump turning at paddle boat speeds now ? It looks slick, and I'm interested in the possibilities, just a few questions...

Jason

I do not intend to hyjack this thread but as far as the picture goes that I posted: Yes that system does cost an arm and a leg, the dampner and water pump pully are the same size so that the water pump turns 1:1 with the crank shaft. I am not going to go into any details about the dampner at this time as Jerry (owner of http://www.zraceproducts.com and the distributer for those dampners) is not ready to start selling them yet. But just to be a tease I am posting a couple more pictures of Jerry's engine.

ZMadness.jpg

That is Jerry posing with the engine.

zmonster1.jpg

zmonster3.jpg

Dragonfly