HybridZ

Need a picture of a RB25DET speedo sensor

240Z_Master

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other concern now that I think about it' date=' is the damn ECU, doesn't it require an electronic signal from the speed sensor (for the speed governor and crap). So it looks like I will end up ditching my mechanical speedo for an electronic one coming up very very soon![/quote']

Wait!? you dont have to hook up the speed sensor to the ECU, unless you want you want a fuel cut at high speed.

from what I know the computer doesnt need:

1. throttle position SWITCH (not sensor, you need that one)

2. nuetral sensor

4. speed sensor

5. hicas diagnostic

6. boost sensor

7. and obviosly any of the p/s , a/c , and other junk.

But, my speedo question to you is what plans do you have for a guage? auto meter? Do you know how you would calibrate the metric nissan speedo to the mph autometer? i'm looking into that now, as i'm now forced to get a guage because i told the officer that pulled me over for speeding that, "my gauge doenst work" . So I have a speeding ticket to pay for now, and a fix it.

I'm an idiot.......

Wait!? you dont have to hook up the speed sensor to the ECU' date=' unless you want you want a fuel cut at high speed.

from what I know the computer doesnt need:

1. throttle position SWITCH (not sensor, you need that one)

2. nuetral sensor

4. speed sensor

5. hicas diagnostic

6. boost sensor

7. and obviosly any of the p/s , a/c , and other junk.

But, my speedo question to you is what plans do you have for a guage? auto meter? Do you know how you would calibrate the metric nissan speedo to the mph autometer? i'm looking into that now, as i'm now forced to get a guage because i told the officer that pulled me over for speeding that, "my gauge doenst work" . So I have a speeding ticket to pay for now, and a fix it.

I'm an idiot.......[/quote']

Well for the speedo sensor, I'm using a USDM Z32 unit. So maybe it's okay, who knows, I do have the proper gear (Red 4.11 Pinion) that matches my rear end, we'll just see when it's all said and done.

Also. My friend who had an SR20 in his car, when he got up to like 130MPH his car fell flat on its face, so I would have to assume that the problem for that is the speed governor, which is somehow linked to the ECU to cut off the fuel and all that stuff. Unless there is a better explaination.

Another note, don't some cars not start in a gear, thats why the neutral switch is there?

Well for the speedo sensor' date=' I'm using a USDM Z32 unit. So maybe it's okay, who knows, I do have the proper gear (Red 4.11 Pinion) that matches my rear end, we'll just see when it's all said and done.

Also. My friend who had an SR20 in his car, when he got up to like 130MPH his car fell flat on its face, so I would have to assume that the problem for that is the speed governor, which is somehow linked to the ECU to cut off the fuel and all that stuff. Unless there is a better explaination.

Another note, don't some cars not start in a gear, thats why the neutral switch is there?[/quote']

Well your friends car does have a fuel cut, only because the ECU knows how fast the car is traveling. If the ECU doesnt know, then no fuel cut.

The only GOOD reason why you should hook up your speed sensor to the ECU is so that you can use your Hicas diagnostic function. however, i dont think you can hook up an RB to a U.S. diagnostic scanner anyway.

I got new info for the Nuetral switch!

I guess you need it in order for VTC to work, which is good for 5-10 HP I was told. Unless you have ADJ. cam gears, Hook it up!

I guess im going to hook up my nuetral switch now. lol

Do you know how you would calibrate the metric nissan speedo to the mph autometer?

From the little that I know so far, the sensor sends out a square wave pulse. It doesn't care if the gauge is Metric or Standard. All you should need to do is follow the directions that come with the gauge to calibrate it. I want to keep my stock gauge, and use the Cable X, from Abbot.

• 1 month later...

The output on that speedo gear will be fine with any speedometer that will allow you to calibrate it. I calibrated my S14 speedo with a GPS and its almost perfect. It does NOT matter which gear you are using if you have to calibrate your speedometer anyway (assuming your going electrical here).

That speedometer drive looks like the right one... I had a NIB one from an RB trans for awhile. Looks identical. I paid 100 from nissan for mine.

Just for the record, you do NOT need to have speedo signal to the ECU.

The TPS switch does need to be hooked up unless you want your car to idle funny. Thats the switch that tells the motor to go into idle mode. Mine was set off by just a little bit and the idle was all crazy.

My neutral wire is capped off, and VTC works fine. BTW, this is an rb25det S2

Evan

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, since I'll be at this step soon, since the R33 speed sensor is electronic, you need to use an electronic speedo ala autometer as a replacement for the stock Z car speedo which is mechanical.

Just guessing because it was not mentioned, but I'm assuming that you can't plug the cable drive gear from the Z car into the RB tranny. Which was my plan, I guess they changed a bit more then I was anticipating.

That said, will replacing the stock speedo, with an electronic autometer work provided you have a working electronic sender? Since the main topic of this thread was what to use for a replacement for a damaged RB sender. Basically I'm asking that if I get an electronic autometer will connecting it to the stock RB sender fly? The sender I have is fine so is that the solution?

Chris Rummel

Just wondering' date=' since I'll be at this step soon, since the R33 speed sensor is electronic, you need to use an electronic speedo ala autometer as a replacement for the stock Z car speedo which is mechanical.

Just guessing because it was not mentioned, but I'm assuming that you can't plug the cable drive gear from the Z car into the RB tranny. Which was my plan, I guess they changed a bit more then I was anticipating.

That said, will replacing the stock speedo, with an electronic autometer work provided you have a working electronic sender? Since the main topic of this thread was what to use for a replacement for a damaged RB sender. Basically I'm asking that if I get an electronic autometer will connecting it to the stock RB sender fly? The sender I have is fine so is that the solution?

Chris Rummel[/quote']

I have a RB25DET Sender with Autometer gauge, unfortunately, I have no idea if they work together but when I get back, I'm bound to make it happen...

I'm just too busy working in your state right now :fmad:

Here is an interesting possible solution to the Speedometer issues.

http://www.atrol.com/cablex.htm

Cable X

A Simple Solution to a Speedometer Problem.

The Cable X is the easy, cost-efficient way to operate your stock mechanical speedometer with a transmission equipped with vehicle speed sensor. The Cable X is basically an universal adapter that will pick up the electronic speedometer signal and will operate the cable driven speedometer to the corresponding speed. It's a snap to install with only three wires - hot, ground and signal. No costly installation of drive gears or long messy cables to deal with.

The Cable X is a one-of-a-kind solution to your speedometer problem. So solve it today, by giving us a call FREE at:

1-800-643-5973.

cablex.jpg

Here is an interesting possible solution to the Speedometer issues.

http://www.atrol.com/cablex.htm

Cable X

A Simple Solution to a Speedometer Problem.

The Cable X is the easy' date=' cost-efficient way to operate your stock mechanical speedometer with a transmission equipped with vehicle speed sensor. The Cable X is basically an universal adapter that will pick up the electronic speedometer signal and will operate the cable driven speedometer to the corresponding speed. It's a snap to install with only three wires - hot, ground and signal. No costly installation of drive gears or long messy cables to deal with.

The Cable X is a one-of-a-kind solution to your speedometer problem. So solve it today, by giving us a call FREE at:

1-800-643-5973.

[img']http://www.atrol.com/images/cablex.jpg[/img]

Not to say that I've seen this before all throughout the RB forums, but that's just MORE CRAP you gotta buy, especially when it comes to using an electronic speedo, which I would assume this product DOESNT WORK with that.

Not to say that I've seen this before all throughout the RB forums, but that's just MORE CRAP you gotta buy, especially when it comes to using an electronic speedo, which I would assume this product DOESNT WORK with that.

It looks like it takes the signal from the speed sensor and converts it to a mechanical cable that can be plugged into the stock speedometer. With this you would not need an electronic speedo.

Just trying to make a suggestion. Most of the few RB swaps I have seen do not have functioning speedometers.

It looks like it takes the signal from the speed sensor and converts it to a mechanical cable that can be plugged into the stock speedometer. With this you would not need an electronic speedo.

Just trying to make a suggestion. Most of the few RB swaps I have seen do not have functioning speedometers.

Gotcha, seems like lots o weight in that box.

I agree, seems like a bit more stuff to add then worth the trouble, My buddy is just going to go with an electronic autometer, should be no sweat, since I looked at the directions at summit racing and the electronic ones work with most stock speed sending units.

FWIW, much easier to just replace the mechanical speedo with electronic then run a couple of wires, then it would be to add all that cable x stuff.

My friend actually likes the idea of replacing all the gauges with autometer stuff, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with him.

Chris :icon7:

• 4 months later...

Bringing up an old thread here....but has anyone used a mechanical speedo pickup from a R32 GTR trans in the R33 rb25 trans? This thread has focused on the electronic version so far and I am curious if the stock mechanical R32 GTR speedometer has been used yet in any of the Hybridz swaps. There was a thread back in 2005 that touched on this issue but I didnt see a resolution to the question.

It unlikely that there will be sufficient clearance in the trans tunnel to accomodate the stock speedo cable anyway....

My idea is to purchase a stock r32 gauge cluster and fit the tach and speedo into the 240z gauge pods. I am just hoping to keep the interior a bit more stock like on my 240z but will go to the Autometers if there is no other choice.

If anyone has done this please let me know.

Matt

• 1 year later...

Wow, lot's of good stuff. I read through this whole board, and I have a few more questions for you guys.

My speed meter on my rb25 trans is just like the one in the pictures, and is also broken. At first I thought that it had to be connected to the ecu for the engine to run properly. A shop friend of mine said that in general an ecu has to know that it is moving at some sort of rate to calibrate itself properly, but this might have just been speculation. So if you guys are sure that it doesn't need to be connected, here are the options.

I could buy a new replacement electric one and get an electric gauge to hook it up to.

I could try to customize the broken one by welding on a mechanical fitting (assuming the cable will fit under the car) or fork out the money to buy a new mechanical meter (from an rb26??) and use my stock gauge.

Here's a thought. If the rb26 meter was mechanical, how did it hook up to the ecu? Was it some sort of combo unit?

The cable x thing sounds pretty ridiculous, like just another thing to install under the dash and worry about malfunctioning some day. I mean hell, they sell electromagnetic sensors that you wrap around the drive shaft too if you really want to just find something to rig and make work. They also sell mechanical gearboxes to calibrate it mechanically to your gauge etc. etc.

Basically it just comes down to what's cheapest and what's easiest, unless you have a preference between digital and mechanical gauges. So aside from fixing the busted one I have (raise your hand if you think that's a decent proposition) there's either buying an electric replacement and a guage, or buying a mechanical replacement. Of course being the first to buy a mechanical replacement is a little risky if no one is absolutely sure that it will actually fit. And if you all are sure that the ecu doesn't need a line, than the difference between getting a mechanical one and getting an electric one in that respect becomes a moot point.

I would jump to thinking that buying the mechanical replacement is the cheapest option because I don't have to buy a gauge (and it won't look out of place to boot), but if it only comes from japan, versus the z32 electric equivalent readily available, well, that's when a little part search venture comes into play.

Your thoughts?

For certain, the ecu does not need the VSS signal. I have been running mine without a signal with no problems for almost 2 years now. And I can go WAY faster than 130mph without a fuel cut.

I am with Fentin Fury, I also have an autometer speedo, freaking easy to set up. Also if you ever change your diff gears, all you have to do is press the button 3 times again and drive 2 miles, and you are accurate again. I checked my speedo's accuracy with a handheld GPS unit and it was dead on at 70 MPH.

That is a very good point. I think I have the two pinion 3.54 rear end for now, but am hoping to go somewhere around 3.7 in the near future or when mine breaks, but I'm not very well read on the subject so that may change. For right now I thought I might as well try to make mine mechanical for the hell of it and save a few bucks since I already have the pieces. I just need to buy the 17 tooth gear from nissan. At least, I think mine is 3.54. I'll find out the hard way I suppose.

Here's what the rb25 meter housing and my old t5 mechanical end piece look like fresh off the lathe before being welded together. Still have to connect the shafts as well.

speedsensor2.jpg

speedsensor1.jpg