HybridZ

Need a picture of a RB25DET speedo sensor

240Z_Master

Wow, lot's of good stuff. I read through this whole board, and I have a few more questions for you guys.

My speed meter on my rb25 trans is just like the one in the pictures, and is also broken. At first I thought that it had to be connected to the ecu for the engine to run properly. A shop friend of mine said that in general an ecu has to know that it is moving at some sort of rate to calibrate itself properly, but this might have just been speculation. So if you guys are sure that it doesn't need to be connected, here are the options.

I could buy a new replacement electric one and get an electric gauge to hook it up to.

I could try to customize the broken one by welding on a mechanical fitting (assuming the cable will fit under the car) or fork out the money to buy a new mechanical meter (from an rb26??) and use my stock gauge.

Here's a thought. If the rb26 meter was mechanical, how did it hook up to the ecu? Was it some sort of combo unit?

The cable x thing sounds pretty ridiculous, like just another thing to install under the dash and worry about malfunctioning some day. I mean hell, they sell electromagnetic sensors that you wrap around the drive shaft too if you really want to just find something to rig and make work. They also sell mechanical gearboxes to calibrate it mechanically to your gauge etc. etc.

Basically it just comes down to what's cheapest and what's easiest, unless you have a preference between digital and mechanical gauges. So aside from fixing the busted one I have (raise your hand if you think that's a decent proposition) there's either buying an electric replacement and a guage, or buying a mechanical replacement. Of course being the first to buy a mechanical replacement is a little risky if no one is absolutely sure that it will actually fit. And if you all are sure that the ecu doesn't need a line, than the difference between getting a mechanical one and getting an electric one in that respect becomes a moot point.

I would jump to thinking that buying the mechanical replacement is the cheapest option because I don't have to buy a gauge (and it won't look out of place to boot), but if it only comes from japan, versus the z32 electric equivalent readily available, well, that's when a little part search venture comes into play.

Your thoughts?

Just buy a Z32 speed sensor and be done with it

The speed sensor with the red gear is from the NA Z32s and is for the 4.10 rear end gear (r200) and the sensor with the blue gear is from the TT Z32s with the 3.72(3?) rear gear (r230)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, by sheer coincidence, the gear that is on my old sensor looks like its exactly the same size as the gear on the new one. I'll find out for sure when I actually get it running though. If you were going to hook it up to your ecu for whatever reason, you could use the highest gear possible and the fuel cut would go up because it thinks you're going slower than you really are, but on the flip side it might not run properly. In this case not connecting it seems to just disable the whole system, whereas with fords and the like, if the speed sensor goes out the car will run like crap.

• 2 weeks later...
For certain, the ecu does not need the VSS signal. I have been running mine without a signal with no problems for almost 2 years now. And I can go WAY faster than 130mph without a fuel cut.

I am with Fentin Fury, I also have an autometer speedo, freaking easy to set up. Also if you ever change your diff gears, all you have to do is press the button 3 times again and drive 2 miles, and you are accurate again. I checked my speedo's accuracy with a handheld GPS unit and it was dead on at 70 MPH.

I still haven't done this yet because yet again, I am lazy. But how did you connect your Speedo to the Autometer gauge? Just 1 wire and ground using like Banana Plugs or whatever directly into the speedo sensor into the guage?

I still haven't done this yet because yet again, I am lazy. But how did you connect your Speedo to the Autometer gauge? Just 1 wire and ground using like Banana Plugs or whatever directly into the speedo sensor into the guage?

Yes, there are spade connectors on the back of the Autometer speedos, with the vss wires, I wired them into my existing wiring in the vehicle and some where inside the instrument panel, those two wires are joined and come out as one wire that connects to the back of the guage? The guage has a ground wire that was used for ground. I didnt look to far into the wiring diagrams for my car, it was just trial and error.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot what website I was on. I hope they don't change it to cream in the corn ... Oh god, that still sounds just as bad. :-D

Starting? You mean you're supposed to be able start these things up once you're done?? Oh snap, I thought you just put these models together like a tamiya. In light of this new information, um, a while. :P

• 2 months later...

My R33 speed sensor has two wires coming off it in the loom:-

1. Yellow/Black stripe

2. Red/Grey stripe

Does anyone know which of these connects to the R33 electric speedo?

I have mounted the R33 electric speedo in my 240z speedo pod but am not sure which wire to use? I dont want to risk blowing anything after all the time I have spent making it fit!

Cheers

OK - here's a different one for you. I wanted to keep the stock gauges with the RB - did some research and bought:

For the Speedometer

Bought an "X-box" that coverts the electrical signal from the transmission side to the stock mechanical speedometer.

For the Tachometer

Found a small printed circuit that takes the ECU signal and adjusts for the stock tachometer.

Just a different approach - a little costly but I wanted to leave the stock look.

i bet this would work.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RPC-250-4153&N=700+400615+115&autoview=sku

essentially, any circuit that you see is driven by 2 or 4 magnets that sweep across an equal number of other magnets in a small circuit as twainhart mentioned.

they in turn, send pulses of a constant voltage , almost like a PWM signal, to the sensor.

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are looking for though =/

i bet this would work.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RPC-250-4153&N=700+400615+115&autoview=sku

essentially, any circuit that you see is driven by 2 or 4 magnets that sweep across an equal number of other magnets in a small circuit as twainhart mentioned.

they in turn, send pulses of a constant voltage , almost like a PWM signal, to the sensor.

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are looking for though =/

Thanks Careless,

I take it that this is for vehicle speed rather than engine revs?

If it is then its too late for me as I have already ordered the CableX-box http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm. It certainly looks useful though for others to explore and is considerably cheaper than the CableX.

As for the tacho, I have sent a PM to Twainheart and hopefully he will get back to me with some good info to help me get the stock tacho working.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

In essence there is a little gear driven generator that creates a voltage level based on the trans speed and I'm pretty sure in stock application it is connected to the ecu, which interprets it and sends a signal to the tach, but if you have a digital gauge you can skip the middle man because as it was concluded earlier in this thread, the ecu doesn't really need the signal to run properly (the sole purpose is function of the speed limiter, and who wants that anyhow?).