HybridZ

external wastegate...oem manifold.

Guest 73Turbo240z

i suggest you find a welder who's a little more confident in there work, my friend and i are not professional welders by any means, and we still managed to not only fab up a downpipe that is larger than just about anyone elses on here, one that tucks and runs with the car smoother than most peoples on here, but that is also a mild steel to cast iron union...

we did ours with pre-heating with a butane torch, and then used a 230v hobart mig with gas.

worst case scenario, if you've got a mild/stainless WG flange and your manifold, ship them to us, cover your shipping there and back, and perhaps be nice enough to send a little extra for a 12 pack of good ol' rolling rock and we'll help you out.

you'd just need to be sure to pre make your hole to the size you want it and mark how you'd want it clocked.

attached below is the downpipe i speak of, it's not some random customers stuff either, it's my personal downpipe on my Z, and i know i've put my system through hell, and i don't intend on stopping anytime soon, so far so good, and i've had the downpipe on and off the car 6-7 times now for various things, i've checked it every time, no complaints.

downpipe09mt.th.jpg

downpipe015li.th.jpg

ive read somewhere that there are adapters you can place between the turbo and the manifold that would allow for a external wastegate. dont know much about them. thats what i was intrested in and i think thats the route im going to go after some reaserch on it. just an idea.

I've welded (mig) all over my L manifold including a T4 flange. Never preheated and never had a problem.

Ditto, I had to turn my wastegate flange 90 degrees to clear the TC rod, I didnt preheat or slow down its cooling. I've had it on and off the car several times and have yet to see any cracks. one way to help prevent cracks if you do weld on the cast manifold would be to add some simple supports for the turbo, wouldnt take that much longer to do and its cheap way to prolong the life of your welds.

With this I would suggest welfin it on there and then using a oxy/acc torch with a heating nozzel, a propaine torch, or an oven to heat the whole thing to about 400-600 degrees and then letting it cool gradually. Letting it cool gradually is the key because the welded areas will "crystalize" (I forgot what the term was) if cooled to quickly.

When my manifold outlet flange was welded , the unit was heated to 600* in an electric kiln then bolted to a Lseries head bolted on a welding table.Nickle 99 wire was used and I kept the manifold hot with a torch while the welding was being done.It didn`t warp.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/detail?.dir=63ef&.dnm=8ffe.jpg

A friends manifold was welded the same way ,a 60-1 turbo was used and an external wastegate flange was welded on.

Wanna start selling those!!!???

I was reading a book about turbocharging called maximum boost by corky bell and under the wastegate section i saw a similar peice so i think they are sold somewhere. i havent been able to find one thou. anyone know where someone might sell em?

Guest 73Turbo240z

agreed, i could fabricate that from stainless relatively easily, if people want to commission the work and supply there own wastegate and flange setup to my house so i can make a complete part, i'd be willing to build them.