HybridZ

account theft by Evie Bornman

dr_hunt

Everything else for sale is legit. It belongs to dr_hunt, here on this site....

I asked him a couple hours ago about all the items for sale and he said its all his but the tractor.... thats why it looks different (no paypal etc.) http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdrQ5fhunt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey, a cannon that size deserves to be named after a religous diety, like Zeus or something. If you had the guys GPS coordinates, you could probably lob slugs at him from several hundred miles with that thing.

I still haven't received a reply back from the guy. Not sure what one has to do to get on the pre approved buyers list, but evidently wanting to buy a tractor is an automatic disqualification. I'll let you know if I get anything from him.

Mike

Someone hacked my wife's ebay account to sell an RX7. They want that 100% positive feedback rating.

Ebay actually took care of it in a day. We contacted the winning bidder, but they had pretty much figured it out before we contacted them. Would you buy a used RX7 located in one state from an ebay seller with a screen name of "poohmom" in another state ?

Crikey' date=' a cannon that size deserves to be named after a religous diety, like Zeus or something. If you had the guys GPS coordinates, you could probably lob slugs at him from several hundred miles with that thing.

I still haven't received a reply back from the guy. Not sure what one has to do to get on the pre approved buyers list, but evidently wanting to buy a tractor is an automatic disqualification. I'll let you know if I get anything from him.

Mike[/quote']

I changed my passwords after sending him a email asking to get aproved. I read on the ebay trust and safety forum, that the latest scam is to do what he was doing. They figured out a way to phish (harvest) your account / password info from all the "ask a seller a question" email questions sent to them while using the hacked ebay account....

So now, you never know what info is being stolen at any time while using ebay.... thats scarry.

This is the info I read off the ebay forum>>

"ebay security told me that they are able to now send emails to your "My eBay" and ask a question about a real listing you have and then when you answer what you think is someone interested in a listing, they can get in and steal your account and start using it to list their fraud items." http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=2000089646&tstart=0&mod=1140896839255

someone sent me an ebay message saying they paid for their item and when was I shipping it.

since I've had a deadbeat bidder on something that never paid, I clicked on the respond button, logged in and it logged me right out. I realized immediately that it was a scam, since the web address started with numbers, and not ebay, so I immediately changed my username and password. 2 days later, I got the same message, from the same user 'pleighty' at my new screen name.

Really, That's how this happened then, cause last week, I got an email through ebay that asked where item 439xxxxxxx was and that he had paid me on Jan 29, '06. So I checked and I sold an item and got paid on Jan 29 but item number was 629xxxxxxxx. So I responded and told him to FO and quit bothering me about **** that wasn't real. So, that must be how he hacked into my account.

Read post # 48 in the scammer thread on Ebays trust and safety board>>

If anyone reading this board --- should be --- If anyone IS reading this board....

Beware the btnRespondNow.gif button that takes you to a "Log In" page.

It's the lastest trick in spoof emails!

Always check in My Messages First!

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=2000089646&start=48

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=107

j.

Something I notice recently on Ebay, when I check an item sometimes it will ask me to login. I suspect this another phishing technique. Any time this happens I close the browser. I ONLY sign into Ebay from the home page. ALWAYS go to the home page if you're asked to login. Close the window and go to Ebay directly.

Same holds true for Paypal. If an email sends you to a login page, DON'T LOG IN. 99.9% it's a scam.

You can never be too careful. If in doubt, close the window.

- Joe

I ended up changing passwords, as well as starting a new email account to use. I noticed that there is an option to hide your email from the person asking the question. I clicked on that box when I emailed the tractor guy, but changed passwords and everything anyway just to be safe. Seems like a big part of hacking in is just matching up your ebay login to your email address, that gives them another chance to figure out the right password for either ebay, or your email. I guess up to this point I've been really lucky on ebay, and haven't run into any scammers at all. A large part of this may be that I don't have a sellers account. I've definitely learned a lesson from reading through all these posts though, and will be extra vigilant before bidding on any auction, or communicating with sellers over email.

Something I notice recently on Ebay' date=' when I check an item sometimes it will ask me to login. I suspect this another phishing technique. Any time this happens I close the browser. I [b']ONLY[/b] sign into Ebay from the home page. ALWAYS go to the home page if you're asked to login. Close the window and go to Ebay directly.

Same holds true for Paypal. If an email sends you to a login page, DON'T LOG IN. 99.9% it's a scam.

You can never be too careful. If in doubt, close the window.

- Joe

any email from paypal will have your name in it, not just 'valued paypal member'

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Thanks a MILLION for this warning!!

I sell on ebay and I am sure I would have gotten scamed by this one sooner or later!

I never thought about them hacking the ebay mail system!!

Sheesh you gotta watch EVERYTHING nowadays!!

BTW,this is the reason I will NEVER give PAYPAL my checking account information! Hackers have a way of finding stuff out!!