HybridZ

1973 Z problems?

Initial Z

No real reason to shy away from the '73. Some late '73s had the Hitachi carbs that were imfamously bad. The '74 260Zs all had these. Nissan quickly jumped to fuel injection on the '75 280Z to address this. So if it has these you can easily swap to something else. The SU carbs are the good stock ones on the early Zs.

I dont rember what it was but I heard the the 73 Z has some problem with its design. I am thinking of geting one and I just wanted to know if you guys know of any reason why a 70-72 would be any better than a 73?

Thanks' date='

nate[/quote']

The 73's have the flat-top Hitachi carburetors which have a tendency to vapor lock and/or run very rich. This is easily fixed by installing the earlier “round-top” SU carbs .

They also have an (easily removed) Air-Pump (AKA Smog-Pump), a slightly different dash, and slightly different wiring. None of these cause any problems that I’m aware of.

Otherwise they are pretty much identical to the earlier years.

If you have a first half of 73 car, like mine, it has the small bumpers, do'nt know about the catbs though cause, mine had dgv 32/36 fitted when I bought it. After the second half of 73, they came with the bigger 260 style bumpers.

The rest of the car is entirely the same. + The weight issue brought up by ON3GO, is due to those bumpers and the carbs to are heavier.

Dan is correct.

The front bumper of the 1973 240Z was extended several inches forward with longer brackets to meet the then new front bumper impact speed of 2.5mph per the NHTSA MVSS 115 standard. There was no impact speed specified for a rear bumper in 1973, hence the 1973 240Z retained a similar rear bumper like that of the 1970-72 Z cars.

The standard changed for the 1974 models to a 5mph impact speed rating for both front and rear bumpers. So, the early 260Z had to meet this spec and it used the thin bumpers similar to the early cars but the bumpers were mounted to the body with the gas-assisted shocks.

The late 260Z used the large 280Z style bumpers.