HybridZ

r154 or w58?

mossy74

I have been told that the w58 is the way to go, that the next better tranny would either be the 6 speed out of the Supra, or something even more pricy and less friendly to drive around town. Isnt the 154 a truck tranny? I think it is a little lighter duty than the w58, and unless specifically from an appropriate car, it would be geared wrong. The w58 should be good to around 350-400hp, as long as you dont hook up and are kind to it.

What are your plans for the 1UZ-FE? NA, or turbo, ect... need some details! = ) There are one or two others here considering the swap, and I would do it if the 2RZ doesnt pan out for me.

The R154 is the trans for the Turbo Supra (in the US at least), W58 is the non-turbo ntans. The W58 might last at that power level if you baby it, but it's more fragile than the R154. I don't know what clutch setup you're planning on, but the clutches for the R154 can hold quite a bit more torque than those for the W58 without having to resort to a 4 or 6 puck clutch. The R154 uses a pull type clutch not the more common push type.

I have been running the W58 behind my 7m-gte up to a dyno verified 357 rwhp, but that was before the new turbo. My clutch can't hold more than 15 psi at a track day where you have multiple high speed runs within 20 minutes. I refuse to go with the race clutches so I bought an R154 (and flywheel, and driveshaft) so I can have a stronger trans and a stronger clutch.