HybridZ

Painted Valve Cover

Chewievette

I dont have a clue which forum this falls under but I figured that you guys would get the most out of it. I've been having Z withdrawls lately not being able to work on it while in storage, so I pulled the valve cover and painted it this week. I have never been a fan of chrome or shiny engine parts so I kept the shiny to a minimum. I might have to repaint it when I finally decide on the body color, but I'm willing to do that. It's going to be a while before I get it back on the car but it was fun anyway. Its far from perfect but it was a nice relaxer and it looks good enough to hide under the hood.

100_7228.jpg

100_7230.jpg

• Administrators
"In the last 100 years of Flying, We have Never Left one up there!"

Very nice… We’ve all seen the Polished, or plain Black, Yellow, Red, Blue, etc valve covers. Nice to see some creative paint work being done on the ole Nissan Valve covers.

In an effort to make our L-6 valve cover a little different than everyone else’s for our race car, I machined off the NISSAN OHC and then black wrinkle finished the valve cover. It came out pretty nice, but yours is much more stunning.

Very nice. Simple, elegant, yet not like everyone else’s… Good work. Kudo’s….

BTW, what dopes your signature mean?

"In the last 100 years of Flying, We have Never Left one up there!"

As a Private pilot myself, I take that to mean that everything that has gone up, (aviation related since the Wright bros flight 100 years ago), has ALL come back down…. Am I on the right track here?

...I take that to mean that everything that has gone up, (aviation related since the Wright bros flight 100 years ago), has ALL come back down…. Am I on the right track here?

That's exactly what I mean. I am in Aviation Maintenance and I heard a joke a while back along the same lines although it mentioned a perfect record. We try to keep it light around the shop so I figured that I would share the humor with the aviation people on here.

I tried a couple of things before settling on a sanding stick, gives a brushed finish and a cleaner cut line than anything else I tried. I still have to clear coat it but that is much easier than the rest of the work.

btw: If anyone is interested, I'd like to paint a few more. If you want yours done let me know.

Nice. Looks great. I tried something like that but it looks crappy, not because of the paint but because the letters have dings and I don't have access to a mill machine.

If its acrylic you might want to heat it up a little bit, it helps bond the paint, as I believe Z-tard said in another thread. Just don't heat the paint directly. I did it to some of my models and it turned out great (when the plastic doesn't melt lol), I used a heat gun.

I managed to chip the fresh paint today' date=' but its okay a bit of touch up and you won't know the difference.[/quote']

I have to admit, that is one thing I love about powder... it doesn't chip very easily.. But it really sucks if you want to take it off :eek: