HybridZ

Weird running lean problems after intake upgrade ??!

stagefumer11

Unsure if the intake is a related problem. But ive installed a flowed and have intake manifold with a 60mm Sr20det throttle body. (bored intake to match)

this was installed at the same time i did a head gasket on it. Now the head gasket is a long story but it ended up with the head being wapred and it had to come off again. Even with this intake installed with the warped head. It ran mint. Simply great smooth heaps of power.

Now after getting the head skimmed. and crack tested. All installed. ect... IT runs like complete crap. Seems to be running lean alot of the time. any sign of boost after 2 seconds. bam... Lean!!!!

Now gone thru the most common ideas that could be a problem e.g adjusting afm ? (only for non boost really) Checking timing. Also cam timing. ect...

The question is. Can increasing your intake flow, with a bigger TB ect make it run megga lean?. or what can cause it to randomly after putting it back together that it all changes.

Heres something to consider! You mentioned you had your head skimmed (shaved, milled, etc.)! How much did they remove to flatten her back out? When you remove material from the head, it lowers the head and effects the overall timing by actually allowing the cam sprocket/cam to rotate x degrees CCW (when viewed from the front of the engine). Slimming up the cam towers will compensate for the loss of head material. Just some food for thought!

Did the shop add shims under the cam towers after the head shave?

For every 1mm (0.040") you shave off the head, the cam is retarded 1.91 degrees relative to crankshaft. Of course the chain may have some slack to it in the first place that adds even more retard to give you problem.

Check for vacuum leak and electrical connections first, sooo many engine problems turn out to be those small problems.

When the head was skimmed its was minimal. Nothing big at all.

I seem'd to found out a major part ofthe probem seemd to be a bad wire on the afm plug. *resoldierd* and alot of the leaning out probems were gone. Its still leaning out. not as bad tho.

So i say ive maxed my injectors out. Since they are only 185cc's And having the extra flow of a 60mm tb and larger intake runners. well at 8psi they seem'd to be maxed.

Got some vg30et inectors on the way. 259cc should help alot

I would just like to say hello, this is the first time I have posted on this site. I am having the same problem with my 78 after the throttle body upgrade and rebuilding the whole engine, only to have to take the head off again. I am thinking I may have to shim the towers or get bigger cc injectors. But let me know how the injector upgrade works for you.

Stock AFM? IIRC the stock AFM max out at 4000RPM or so, from that point on the ecu runs on a predetermined fuel map. With intake upgrade that allows more air, the predetermined fuel map cannot match the extra air....so it runs lean.

EDIT to add : I noticed you are running a L20et. My comment above refers to L28et with flap door style AFM. Does your L20et run with a old style AFM or a Z31 style MAF?

Why does it lean off at 4000rpm?

Because it is evil. Trap door afm measures air more correctly at low air flow because the air flow hit the door square on. After the door opens wide it cannot measure air as correctly anymore because air flow do not hit the trap door head on. Since the measurement is no longer very accurate at higher rpm, they opt to use a predetermined fuel map. The fuel map inside ECU makes you lean out.

Yup. know htis problem all to well. more airflow above 3500RPM = L28E run lean under WOT. I've got a flat top block with a MN47 head and felpro gasket. 11.7:1 compression. I know I know, too much on crap gas, blah blah blah....

anyway, yes it detonates, but only above about 3500RPM. when that stock flapper door stays wide open, the ECU goes lean. especially with a 60MM TB, ported head, port matched intake with injector bumps removed, and a little bump in the cam department. I saw an A/F chart on a stock L28E onces, Ill have to find it again, ANYWAY, under WOT, the afr hit about 14.5:1 above about 3700rpm. that is NOT a ratio for optimum performance. the reason stock engines dont ping is because of the low compression ratio. not very sensative to lean mixtures. however, when you add 3 points of compression, it tends to make it a little more sensative to lean mixtures and detonation.

If I could run a proper A/F ratio (like 13:1, optimum for performance) I could probably get by on 93 octane.

the fix, you ask? run a different EFI set-up. turbo will actually MEASURE more air than an NA set-up will, Z31 will measure up to about 300rwhp before it goes linear, or MEgasquirt will get the job done as well.