HybridZ

Idea for front grill (more bad photoshop)...

utvolman99

Well,

I was thinking though the grill based on the thread I started yesterday about the front bumper. I think this look would help modernize the front of the car. However, I am not really sure how to go about making it happen? I suppose I could make a fiberglass mold of the front lip of the hood and use that as a female mold? Has anyone seen anything similar to this on a Z?

2_bigb.jpg

Any input would be helpfull

wow!

Both very nice!

Utvolman99, Your design is a totally do-able.

Have you considered heavy sheet metal (.050+) that has been break pressed into a channel? Then notch the centers, bend ends in, weld centers back up. Mount on a rack similar to the original, grind the welds, fill and paint.

I have not worked on the grill of mine yet (still jacking with the drive line). I had designed a rack type as well but had drawn up using .070 aluminum strips with raidus edges.

After seeing yours, I think I might reconsider.

Very nice...

I'll keep watching!!

Yes, yes!

Was just thinking of that as well.

For me, a compromise in frontal area would be OK. As in, if U channel aluminum was available that would be OK as I would place the radius portion forward. U shape would also allow for a touch better air flow. Not that would be much of an issue any way. Break pressing two inch strips with a .250 radius would be a snap.

If you have a break press available with some deep dies, your design would not be too tough as well.

Excrusion is the most available type material in the shape that you are looking for but can be spendy. But so is laboring one a$$ off too.

If I may ask who made the dam? Looks good.

Regardless...

Nice design on the grill dude. That is really a nice idea!

"you have there", meant as in your illustration.

Regardless, awesome concept.

You dont mind if I use it? The design that I laid out originally would probably flutter at high speed as mentioned by 260DET.

3/4 inch .040 wall "U" channel Excrusion most likely would not.

If you beat me to it, lets see er!

Thanks!

allright I wish I could get a picture of mine I have a 78 280 z pulled the crash bumpers off and found a bent 240 bumper, and split it the same as in the top photo. Then took the 240 and 280 grills apart (the long skiny screws) and put them together to make one grill. Takes all of the fins to make it one but it looks really good and the split bumpers look good too. but mine is on the waiting list to go into the paint shop and get beautified so I need to know what the colors are of the two cars The top looks like yamaha blue and the 2 lower looks like midnight blue. if you know what they are please tell me thanks.

AK-Z

Yes you are correct.

The term "U-Channel" is used to discribe the type of excrusion that I was talking about. Its not really rounded like the letter U but squared off with 45 degree chamfered edges. Sort of like the front edge of the hood (bonnet).

MastersMechanic,

That double grill mod you were talking about sounds good. That pretty much sums up the original design that I had drafted but I was going to use sheet metal and all new mounts. I am concerned about my design not being sterdy enough to keep it from fluttering at speed.

The split bumper is a great look! Do you know if the width of the 240 matches the width of the 280 If one did not want to split it? I know that the mounts are different but fabbing new ones is not a problem.

Thanks a bunch!

• 4 weeks later...

Twoeightnine

The 240 bumpers fit right on the 280 with mount mods. The staked grills works great even at high speed, and easy and cheap to build. My new thing is to build a allumnium grill for the rear, Over the tail lights with the same body lines of rear hatch and then install lights behind them remove the rear bumper and smooth the lower valance. really neat (I think) I mocked it up with electrical tape and it looks smooth more of a modern look. if it works I'll probably build one for the front too and set back the front turn signals. I got to get it done only two more weeks till paint.

MastersMechanic

All good stuff!!

I'll do some hunting for a 240 bumper set.

Would love the C/F ones, but I noticed that they were not giving them away!:icon52:

I have the same situation, paint date is almost here, need to fab as much as possible. No scratches please.

Post a shot of that grill if you get a chance.