HybridZ

Who wants to weld strut tubes for coilovers for me? :)

Since I don't know how to weld, and I don't think there are any reputable suspension shops around here...would someone on here who's good with a welder and fabricating skills take some stock 280Z strut tubes and cut/weld them for a plug and play conversion to coilovers?

I cut mine off with my own el cheapo 4" angle grinder from Harbor Freight then took them down to a muffler shop and they welded them up for free. I gave him a little beer money anyway.

Mike

Are you talking about sectioning the struts, or adding coilovers, or both? I wouldn't take anyone elses measurements on sectioning the struts. You cut them too short and that's it.

If you follow John Coffey's advice, he says to cut the strut tube and section out the stock spring perch. I prefer to section about 2" down, and just grind the stock spring perch off. Either way works, mine is a bit more labor intensive but it puts the section above the spring perch area where it is less critical.

John wrote a FAQ on sectioning the strut tubes and another on coilovers if you haven't already seen them.

Just a word of caution! Since the struts are major suspension components, having a muffler shop weld them up is risky IMO! Yes there are guys at muffler shops that are more than qualified to do this sort of welding but, how about all the ones who aren't? Questions you may want to consider.....will the section be square after welding, was the correct rod used to weld them, are there any pin holes that will allow oil to leak out if you use oil between the struts tubes and dampers, is there too much penetration...causing you to grind off the excess material from the inside of the strut tube so the damper fits in and doesn't bear against the weld. Anyway, just some food for thought!

If you are just adding the coil over sleeve. You can rest it on the stock spring perch. Either cut off the perch and leave just a lip ( what I did) or leave the whole perch. If you are going to section you need the strut inserts first to know how much to cut. I would go to a muffler shop if you are sectioning. Try a race shop or 4X fab shop. I posted some before and after pics of mine a few weeks ago.