HybridZ

Buying LS1/T56.......

I have seen this asked many times..... where can I get a LSX/T56 combo for cheap. Many have went out and flat out bought the combo. Well I for one am a broke college student just tring to fund a hobby and make it through school.

I should be getting my 2002 z28 with 34K miles on it this weekend if all goes wellso keeping my fingers crossed. I will keep a well documented paper trail to show how it can be done for little or nothing with some time. Car is hit of course :see pic gal: and is very clean. Cost of car is $6200 and we shall see how it goes. Hope to be in the LS1 crowd by winter.:-) Like it was said plenty of times on the board....plan ahead and triple the cost you thought you were going to spend to have it done right and double the time. This board has been lots of help and gotta give props to David aka 1tuffz.

Let's go V8 Z.........

Thats cool that you found a nice car that cheap.

The F-body world is getting whored with used parts now everything seems to be dropping in price as far as parts go.

Hope you do well. I did very well on my part out but I got my car ( although older) alot cheaper than yours.

If you find the right buyer though maybe the car will pay for itself and even make you some profit for some swap parts. Mine Is :mrgreen:

You are right about the price of things getting cheaper but I am hoping since the car is '02 that will help with the part out. I want to sell everything ASAP. It would be great if I could find someone to buy the complete car for what I paid for it:smile:, but that won't happen. Parts will be listed on several fbody sites, craigslist and other free posting sites before it hits ebay.

I would make sure you don't sell off to much of the car until your swap is complete, because you will find out some of the parts that do not seem important at this time will be the parts you will need to go find at a salvage yard for to high a price or buy from the dealer's parts department. Good luck and hope to read about your car as it comes along.

The 02 may have an LS6 block in it. It for sure has the LS6 intake and 241 heads (prefered over the 853). I think it has the EGR deleted too (may be wrong about that). Still has AIR though.

34K is nothing, but look at the flywheel when your ready to put it into something else. Mine had 28K on it and the flywheel was trashed.

I was trying to find it here on our site and over on ls1tech.com whick '02 models come with the LS6 block. I knew you could tell by the vin right? Yeah the egr is deleted with the '02 and has the LS6 intake.

Does anyone remember how to tell by the vins on the Camaros to tell if it has the LS6 block?

I do plan on going over the motor/tranny before it goes in the Z.

The 02 may have an LS6 block in it. It for sure has the LS6 intake and 241 heads (prefered over the 853). I think it has the EGR deleted too (may be wrong about that). Still has AIR though.

34K is nothing' date=' but look at the flywheel when your ready to put it into something else. Mine had 28K on it and the flywheel was trashed.[/quote']

I was trying to find it here on our site and over on ls1tech.com whick '02 models come with the LS6 block. I knew you could tell by the vin right? Yeah the egr is deleted with the '02 and has the LS6 intake.

Does anyone remember how to tell by the vins on the Camaros to tell if it has the LS6 block?

I do plan on going over the motor/tranny before it goes in the Z.

My 02 has the LS6 block. I believe you need to check the block number not the VIN number. I have a book around here somewhere that tells which numbers were the LS6 block and which were the LS1. If you can't find it elsewhere, let me know and I will dig it up.

Dale is correct. It will have the 241 heads, the LS6 intake and will not have the EGR.

clive, the 2 ls books i let u borrow have the way to id the block/heads in them somewhere. it is definitely the ls6 intake, not sure on the block & heads. no egr, but has air pump [mike from new era will be able to delete that from the pcm when he flashes it for you as he did mine].

david

I was like a little kid on saturday when the car, "Camaro" finally got to rochester. Nothing like waking up in the morning here "Your dad is here.", which was David aka 1tuffz. The car was towed from NYC to Rochester right into David's driveway. Car started right up and was music to my ears...............few hours lata David started his car up and the LS1 in his car sounds betta then the one in the Fbody :-) I will post a video as soon as I learn how to...

removable sleeves in the block' date=' thats it.

LS1 block is stronger. so its actualy a worse thing if you have the LS6 block in there[/quote']

Where did you get this info LS1 240Z?

Since you are new to the forum I will not rag on you

but according to HP Books - Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance by Chris Endres, this is what they said about the LS6 block.

(Page 7)

"The LS6 is an updated version of the LS1 with even more emphasis placed on performance. The LS6 block incorporates bulkhead windows, which allows better breathing between bays and results in decreased crankcase air pressure"

(Page 39) they go on to say "The LS6 is manufactured by the same process and with the same materials as the LS1 block, but with one important modification. Because the LS6 was designed to produce more power and spin at higher rpms, enlarged bulkhead windows were required."

(page 40 and 41) These pages cover the necessary steps to remove the factory cast iron cylinder liners. The only way to remove them is to bore them out until there are gone. They are not removable unless they are machined out. Both the LS1 and the LS6 black can be bored out to accept new larger cylinder liners.

but according to HP Books - Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance by Chris Endres' date=' this is what they said about the LS6 block.

(Page 7)

"The LS6 is an updated version of the LS1 with even more emphasis placed on performance. The LS6 block incorporates bulkhead windows, which allows better breathing between bays and results in decreased crankcase air pressure"

(Page 39) they go on to say "The LS6 is manufactured by the same process and with the same materials as the LS1 block, but with one important modification. Because the LS6 was designed to produce more power and spin at higher rpms, enlarged bulkhead windows were required."

(page 40 and 41) These pages cover the necessary steps to remove the factory cast iron cylinder liners. The only way to remove them is to bore them out until there are gone. They are not removable unless they are machined out. Both the LS1 and the LS6 black can be bored out to accept new larger cylinder liners.[/quote']

I read that in the other book David gave to me.

Either way I am just happy to have the motor! :-)

It is true that the Ls1 block is stronger for all out racing, but it really doesn't matter since were not at the 1000 hp level. I have an LS6 block in the basement that I plan to sleeve out to 4.125 then stroke to 4.0 for a 427 ci LS1. With a cam and heads it should be in the 550 RWHP range and it does not bother me one bit that it's an LS6. In fact I'm happy since I know it will breath better from cylinder to cylinder.

but according to HP Books - Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance by Chris Endres' date=' this is what they said about the LS6 block.[/quote']

dont belive everything you read :mrgreen: this info is what ive heard many times from many people that have built high performance motors. as i said, pretty much the only benifit of the LS6 block is that it has removeable sleeves, which dosent really even matter. personaly id never pay MORE for an LS6 block over an LS1 block, but there really isnt a reason to pay less for one or the other either. by the time you are worrying about the diffrences you should have already switched to a cast or C5R block

dont belive everything you read :mrgreen: this info is what ive heard many times from many people that have built high performance motors. as i said, pretty much the only benifit of the LS6 block is that it has removeable sleeves, which dosent really even matter. personaly id never pay MORE for an LS6 block over an LS1 block, but there really isnt a reason to pay less for one or the other either. by the time you are worrying about the diffrences you should have already switched to a cast or C5R block

I certainly don't believe everything I read but it is hard to ignore photos that show the only way to remove a cylinder liner is to machine it out. The cast iron liners are cast into the aluminum block as part of the manufacturing process.

Where did you hear about (or read about) the LS6 having removable sleeves?

If you mean they are removable buy machining them out then this would be true for the LS1 block also.

As for the LS1 block being stronger, that may be true since they start out at the same thickness and they machine a bit more from the LS6 block to fit larger bore pistons.

Also, would you not consider better crankcase breathing and lower crackcase air pressure to be a benefit? Apparently GM disagrees with you.