HybridZ

Turbo LS1.... ecu?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

This is prob gonna be a long post.

Ive been reading up on a LS1 swap for along time now, always loved them, think there great engines.

Im going to be redo'ing my Blue Z from top to bottom, taking out the L28ET and putting it in a customers car.

Along with the rebuild of the car, the car is getting all new EVERYTHING, its gonna take sometime but i like building them more then anything.

400hp isnt a goal, 500hp isnt a goal, 600hp isnt even a goal.

i want to go crazy, i know i can handle it, i just want something insane!

looking at a Single Turbo setup for the LS1, i plan on doing some research and seeing whats needed for such a build, goal is 800whp on pump 93 gas.

the suspension, brakes, chassie will be there so all is needed is the power.

ECU...? what are these crazy turbo LS1 guys doing for a ECU? i want to go with a standalone but i dont know what these guys use...

i would LOVE to use my Megasquirt but i never heard of anybody using one on a LS series swap. any ideas?

is the factory ecu that good that all is needed is a chip or a programer and then thats it?

i mean simple'er the better!

i plan on starting as soon as i figure what parts are needed.

LS1 is already bought...

mike

Mike, for a guy that has no place to work on his car, are you sure you want to do a YZ wide body AND a single turbo LS1? Stick to getting your blue Z running right, then get a place of you own with a garage, THEN find a decent woman, and go from there.

Guest ON3GO

Mat..

got a 30x40 garage going up, will have a lift and all my tools :).

still looking for a Miller welder but im still doing my homework on them and i have time so no rush.

looking for a tig too.

i start my schooling to work for AAA in about a month.

my income will provide enough for me to live on, finish my blue Z the way i want it, and still enough for me to save and pay my bills.

im sick of halfass'ing my cars, i got the blue Z running to about 95% today at 12psi, still have fine tuning to do.

it just isnt fun anymore, feels slow, feels boring, feels like a crappy car.

i was gonna sell the xB scion and get a new sports car and maybe sell the blue Z but i desided ill just build it the way i really want to, keep the xB for daily as its already pretty much paid off, and get a beater truck to tow the Z's with.

the LS1 was for the conquest but im giving the project to my friend and he will diside what he wants to do with it and then ill do the work.

as for the woman deal... found one and im working on it...

mike

LS1's at high cylinder pressure have a bit of a problem with head lifting. For sure go with aftermarket heads with nice thick metal on them. I have a friend here that runs a twin turbo LS1. He can twist the aluminum drive shafts into knots at will. At 100 mph he can hit it and leave 2 black strips behind the car. He's Cablebandit over on LS1Tech. Go search on his name for turbo info.

I'm also thinking of going either with a turbo or Magnacharger,Mike told me I could fit the Magna without modifying the stock hood.

I think a turbo would be better though cause I want top end,I think the low end torque on the LS2 will be enough to get out of the hole.

I guess most things from the LS1 should work for the LS2 right?

From what I've read about MS is you either have to convert the whole ignition setup to something MS friendly or piggy back the stock ecu.

The easiest is MS for Fuel and the original controlling spark. I believe the OEM ecu can be retuned, so you could do that spark that way.

The reason its hard to do fuel and spark on the LS1 is that it uses a bunch of sensors for positioning instead of a simple CAS or decoder wheel, that and isn't it COP? I don't think MS supports that yet, just wasted spark.

Mario

yes, stock ECU

dont bother buying a LS1 if you are going to do a forged internal set up. buy a forged 408 (iron block, 100lbs more) or 402 (aluminum block) then buy some aftermarket heads and aftermarket intake. a built M6 or auto is a must also. as for wiring, use a stock harness.

Guest ON3GO

i already have the LS1, its in storage.

thinking of selling it and just building my own LS alum block..

i dunno, but i have the LS1 already so ill use that for mock up and so on.

looks like ill be making my own headers, and everything else..

cant wait!

mike