HybridZ

where can i get SCCA approved cage?

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

hey guys, i was wondering if any companies make a really good weld-in SCCA approved rollcage for the early Z.. - if not, does anyone know the requirements for SCCA rollcages? - A company called safety devices used to make one, but i cant seem to find them anymore... - thanks!

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"why slam on the brakes when you can slam on the gas?"

Kirk Racing makes a good rollcage for the early Z. It is not cheap but it is custom designed for the Z and SCCA approved. I'm away from home so I don't have my contact info but I can try to find it later this week.

Guest tom sixbey

excellent! - if you can get that link for me, i'd really appreciate it.. - i'm currently looking at a 14 point cage at cachassisworks.com - it looks good, but i'd really like to see your stuff before i order

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

Check out the stuff AutoPower puts out. I've got an AutoPower cage in my parts car with an SCCA inspection sticker glued to it (hrm, guess it did see the track!). In my case it wasn't anything to support a bridge with but they may sell more complete cages. Worth checking out at least.

P.S. My custom cage is going to be fixed in about 2 weeks. Whew! Rear bar is in the wrong place darn it!

Guest tom sixbey

hey guys, go check out cachassisworks.com - then go look at the roll cages. - there is a vertical bar that goes from the driver's side door bar to the drivers side roof bar that looks like it would get in the way of your side vision, but i'm not sure.. - can i get an outside opinion on that? - it looks like it would really be a hinderance - especially with seat clearance!

thanks guys!

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"All cages shown with optional helmet bar" I'm betting that's what you're seeing. Since you've got to assemble the thing you could always consider leaving it out if it's not the "optional" piece.

Do find out what sort of tubing they're using. DOM mild steel or welded steel. DOM is better but NOT required. I'm pretty sure Alston Chassis knows better than to ship bad metal :-)

• 6 years later...

Do you want SCCA approved because you're going to be racing with SCCA, or are you just looking for guidelines? If the former, download the rules first for the class you're targeting and then read them about 5 times. Otherwise, tell us specifically what you're trying to accomplish and we can be of more help.

Bump!!

While I appreciate the fact that you're searching DEEP into the archives, I wonder why you picked this thread to bump. It hasn't been touched in 5 years, and I haven't seen any posts from any of the guys involved in the original thread in at least 2, maybe 3 years.

There are plenty of threads on roll cages here. If you want to bump one, why not pick one where the guys involved are still active members? Or start a new one and reference the issue or problem from the old one that you would like more information on.

There is no such thing as a " SCCA Certified" or "SCCA Approved" cage kit. There ARE kits that "Meet SCCA Specs" . The SCCA rule book has the specs. These specs spell out the basics: tube dia, wall thickness, basic design elements they require [ diagonal main hoop brace, for instance ], design limits they arbitrarily and capriciously impose [ subject to change next year :( ], etc.

You build your cage to meet their specs, drill a bunch of holes in the specified members to allow for wall thickness checking and then get your car inspected for competition. If you have done a good job building the car the tech guy [ a volunteer, and possibly an ******* ] will stamp an ID number on your cage and issue a log book for your now "SCCA Approved" race car.

The advantage to having an experieced pro do it is that there is no doubt the cage will pass inspection.

This is SOOOOOO true... And well put RAYJAY!

And Mortensen's correct... Tom Sixby hasn't posted in a long time and BLKMGK (Jim Pearl) has since long moved onto Supras and other "things" of interest...

This isn't a good thread at all to "bump"... And that Cage MSA sells isn't exactly a good way to get a cage put into your car...

Mike