HybridZ

To All Who Think SPEC Clutches Are Good

speeder

Honestly everyone, we are all better off having representation from our vendors on this forum, to share information with and ask questions to. In the end, it will lead to a more educated vendor and a better product. No need to rag on the guy because his product isn't what was expected. I am not saying anything good nor bad about the product, I have no experience with Spec clutches. But don't kick him out of our sandbox just because he is associated with a product that failed.

I am sure in the end, spec can learn from this and product a better product. Yes posts like this can severely hurt their reputation, but if they are unaware of the problem then it's hard to fix it. Judge them by how the act when told about the problem, not only by the problem alone. ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm cool with it. I'll leave it that MOST Hybridz members are sharp enough to know the difference between good customer service and bad.

I'm curious when Justin builds his monster Z if he'll use the employee discount clutch hehe..

Justin,

How many justins are there that work at spec in the customer service department? If I recall, when I called spec about my piece of *&$( burnt up clutch, an real nice man named justin told me that I should be happy with the 15,000 highway miles that I got out of my slipping stage II clutch. I pulled the clutch out, and it seems as though there was only twenty thousands worn from the disk (the entire disk didn't contact the pressure plate, so it didn't wear across the whole surface). The flywheel and pressure plate were blue as hell and the clutch wouldn't hold up to my measly 300hp. I called you, you were very nice, but basically told me that spec wouldn't stand up for their products and there was nothing you could do for me. You said I could send my clutch disk, pressure plate, and flywheel (I would hate to see the shipping cost off that one) and let you take a look. You also told me that the chances of getting a new one were zero. Forgive me, but I think that a clutch should last for more than 15,000 miles with only a handful of drag launches. Also, if you want to talk about the wonderful customer service that you have there at spec, I can post a copy of the emails sent back and forth between Dave Norton where he called me a moron. Yes, he called me a moron. I think that a customer service rep should not be calling their customers morons to their face. Don't come on to this website touting how spec clutches are good and that you are willing to help out those who have been burnt by them unless you are willing to stand behind them.

-jeremy-

Justin, I had a Spec 323 in my Z, broke it in correctly and had similar problems as many of the folks on this thread. The people I dealt with a Spec were extremely nice and willing to help. Unfortunately that does not make up for a product that is in my opinion under engineered. The best customer service in the world cannot make up for a part that repeatedly fails. Thank you for taking the time to post on the forum. It shows you are genuinely concerned about customer satisfaction. I would humbly suggest that your efforts be spent with the designers to figure out why many Z folks don't get near the torque rating or longevity suggested by Spec.

Respectfully,

John

The only reason they are responsive now is because there is enough noise about it now and it's hurting their bottom line. Word gets around fast on the internet. Wonder when CF will get a clue?

Well, the word has been all over camaroz28.com and other f-body forums, which is a much, much larger community, for a few years now. After I had already installed my clutch did I find a few posts about others' bad luck with Spec clutches, so I don't think he's just trying to keep a hush on everything.

CF seems to be a lot like SPEC -- I ran a CF Dual Friction II with no problems whatsoever, while other people swear up and down that it's a piece of junk.

CF seems to be a lot like SPEC -- I ran a CF Dual Friction II with no problems whatsoever, while other people swear up and down that it's a piece of junk.

The CF Dual Friction is a decent clutch if it's kept within the guidelines of it's specified rating. At least that's my experience. Most of the turbo L6 crowd easily surpasses the capability of the CFDF with minor mods.

John