HybridZ

To All Who Think SPEC Clutches Are Good

speeder

Just got off the phone with spec... very friendly shisters.... I told them my story, 280ish ft/lbs of torque, take to the drags twice a year, and 15,000 miles of freeway driving. They said, I don't doubt you, these clutches are finiky and that I should be satisfied with that amount of mileage. As speeder showed, these are no good for drag use, and as I have shown, no good for street use.

Just to throw another angle on this... I've been using a CFDF with 280ft-lbs of torque, have 22,000 miles on it, 3 seasons of autoX and some spirited drag race lauching (no slicks, just R compounds) and it's held up fine so far. I've slipped it, dumped it, broken stub axles, broken half-shafts, etc. No issues.

There are plenty of people with failures of the CFDF with much less abuse, from reports here. Perhaps their QC isn't consistant, perhaps its due to break in and installation procedures.

Either way, with the response you recieved from SPEC I wouldn't buy one! CF sounds about the same too.

So, is ACT the only option? How are Exedy products? What is a guy to do with a powerful L-series? (not that I have one)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ordered a setup from Clutch Specialies that has been proven in TimZ's and jkurz's 400+whp cars - An ACT Heavy duty PP with Clutch Specialties' sintered iron disc.

Not cheap - ~ 500.00.

Clutch Specialties

645 S. State College Blvd

Unit #H

Fullerton, CA 92831

(714) 525-4272

ask for Brian.

I've heard many positive testimonials for all-ACT clutch sets, also.

How is the drivability with a sintered iron disk? Is this disk sprung or unsrung? Is this a race only car, or is it street driven?

I think I am going to try the route of a ACT's extreme pressure plate with a street disk to get more torque capacity but still maintain drivabilty. I have felt several cars with the extreme plate and they have a pretty stiff pedal, but nothing that is overkill.

Guest 81na ZX
I find this very funny. I mean ive seen with my own eyes how zcar guys hate these things. Same with the [b']DSM crowd.
[/b]

As promised, my 2 Spec clutches in a ~250hp/250lb DSM with no hard driving during the clutch's 1200 mile life

Friction5.jpg

Clutch2.jpg

Clutch1.jpg

Great... After reading all this I don't even want to 'start' my Z with the new Spec Stage 3 clutch in it. Blower... I put the new clutch in maybe two months ago and still haven’t started the car, but now after reading all this, it scares me... I don't know if I should keep it since it's already in there? (Don’t want it destroying my Pretty aluminum flywheel) Or should I look at something else...

Guest ON3GO
Great... After reading all this I don't even want to 'start' my Z with the new Spec Stage 3 clutch in it. Blower... I put the new clutch in maybe two months ago and still haven’t started the car, but now after reading all this, it scares me... I don't know if I should keep it since it's already in there? (Don’t want it destroying my Pretty aluminum flywheel) Or should I look at something else...

like i said im running a spec stage 4 with there flywheel.

im running plenty of boost but most importantly im beating the crap out of it with some sticky BFG drag radials all the time.

mike

I hate to laugh...but I have to. I've been through this mess before. Burnt up a couple of act clutches, a spec and finally went to Robin at Superior Friction and had him build a custom clutch for me. Tell him you want the clutch I have (James Roraback). I'm making over 450 to the wheels (126mph in the 1/4) and running slicks and its been holding up great. I don't know if it'll hold with more power or not, but I'm gonna find out pretty soon. I've got nice easy engagement and its easy to drive on the street. It does have a heavy pedal tho, but not any worse than the other clutches I've run before.

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you read my previous post, disregard it. Looks like OS Giken makes multiplate clutches for the S130 and S30.... that might a good option for some of you guys. Expensive... yes, but compare the cost of one multiplate clutch to the numerous clutches you've had to buy from blowing them up.

I'm likely going to use a Z31 version for my Maxima when I get it to that point. That would be a blast. :lol:

Alright, looks like these are the models offered for the S30 and S130:

TS2A - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 184 mm

TS2AD - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 184 mm, sprung hub

TS2B - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 204 mm

TS2BD - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 204 mm, sprung hub

TS3A - Pressed steel cover, triple plate, 184 mm

TS3B - Pressed steel cover, triple plate, 204 mm

I couldn't tell you the exact power handling numbers, but I believe the twin plate is in the 600 hp range and the triple in the 850 or higher range. Not only do you get great power handling, but they're light weight and smaller in diameter allowing the engine to rev even better, and they're still quite streetable.

Don't have to go OS Giken to get a double or triple plate clutch. Quartermaster does them as does 10000rpm I believe. I think I read that the Quartermaster could be had with a flexplate that fits the stock starter location, so no hassles in that regard. I know John Coffey has mentioned it before maybe a couple months ago.

EDIT--check the first page of this very thread and v80z has some comments about Quartermaster and 10000 rpm clutches. I might have been remembering that post.

If any of you read my previous post' date=' disregard it. Looks like OS Giken makes multiplate clutches for the S130 and S30.... that might a good option for some of you guys. Expensive... yes, but compare the cost of one multiplate clutch to the numerous clutches you've had to buy from blowing them up.

I'm likely going to use a Z31 version for my Maxima when I get it to that point. That would be a blast. :lol:

Alright, looks like these are the models offered for the S30 and S130:

TS2A - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 184 mm

TS2AD - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 184 mm, sprung hub

TS2B - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 204 mm

TS2BD - Pressed steel cover, twin plate, 204 mm, sprung hub

TS3A - Pressed steel cover, triple plate, 184 mm

TS3B - Pressed steel cover, triple plate, 204 mm

I couldn't tell you the exact power handling numbers, but I believe the twin plate is in the 600 hp range and the triple in the 850 or higher range. Not only do you get great power handling, but they're light weight and smaller in diameter allowing the engine to rev even better, and they're still quite streetable.[/quote']

I have a TS2B for my SR20DET. It's a sweet clutch that holds all the power I can throw at it. The initial price of the clutch retail is about $1200. The rebuild kits cost anywhere from $500-800 depending on the parts you need.

It should last a couple years, though... as long as you don't slip it too much in daily driving.

The "D" designation is for dampered. I'd reccomend a TS2BD for someone who wants a good strong clutch with reasonable engagment. The non-dampered I use is harsh, difficult to learn to drive, causes you to stall on hills, etc... And is also hell on the driveline parts. Let the springs put some give in the driveline and save your rear end/tranny.

I had an OS Giken close ratio tranny. With the TS2B, and 395rwhp, I twisted both the input and output shafts on it. The input shaft has two rings of indentations where each clutch disc rides on the splines. (They dug about 30-40% of the way through the splines)

Harsh, but strong.

You can't beat the jingle, either.:icon44:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SPEC01

Hey,

I was just roaming around here in the forums and noticed this post. I work here at SPEC and am interested in providing everyone with as much information as i possibly can. From the looks of the unit there appears to be a bit of contamination. I will however be more than happy to check this issue out further if you would contact me directly. I can get it in here and thoroughly inspect the item, thus determing the nature of its failure. You or anyone else can contact me directly:

justin@specclutch.com

1.800.828.4379 Ext 108

I will be more than happy to help anyone here on the forums or anyone else that you know who have any other issues with our product.

Thanks,

Justin

I wish I would've been able to reach you when I called in to Spec customer service. I was barely out of warranty, but the clutch only had about 1000 miles on it, with 0 launches, and the cust. rep. pretty much told me tough luck. I asked him if there was any way he could help me out, and he told me he could sell me another one. That left a bad taste in my mouth, but at least it sounds like there is a better side to your cust. service.

From the looks of the unit there appears to be a bit of contamination. I will however be more than happy to check this issue out further if you would contact me directly.

I will be more than happy to help anyone here on the forums or anyone else that you know who have any other issues with our product.

I've already placed my old clutch setup where it belongs - in the dumpster.

Considering the reputation of this vendor, along with making the assumption that any competition use is not warranted, I felt that I would be wasting my time trying to get some satisfaction from SPEC - At this point I doubt that anything can be done with their pieces to suit my needs.

I had a Stage 3 (without the double diaphragm PP) setup installed before the G-force T5 went in, and it didn't look too good when removed - The guys at Spec recommended upgrading the PP with the new install, which I did. I know how to check/set up hydraulics, as well as to how avoid contamination. I've had no problems - other than the expected signs of hard use - with other brands of clutches.

Sorry to keep trashing, but spending money to do things over, not to mention replacing clutches, tends to make a fellow cranky.

Speeder,

I think you are totally doing this forum a service by making it known and not letting them off the hook. That's the only way to fight back. Too many times biz peep shift the blame off themselves and get defensive when products don't live up to the advertised hype. Ohh MAYBE it was the installer's fault.....yeah right.

From their previous show of customer service, my guess is this was an attempt to try and take this off-line and get it out of pubic domain.

Guest SPEC01

To be 100% honest i really just happened across this post. Its not because someone informed me of this. No one called or emailed me about it either. I am a huge nissan/datsun fan and was just hunting around for a couple more forums to become a part of. I am honestly sorry that this happened to you and i wish there was something i could have done for you. The intention of my posts were not to get it removed. If thats what i was here to do then i would never sleep because that is a loosing battle. My intentions were to help out fellow nissan/datsun owners and thats it. I never once said that i thought you installed it incorrectly. I never even once said it was your fault. I was just giving a simple evaluation of the pictures and thats it. I am also sorry that you feel the way you do about the company i work for. Everyone has my personal phone number and email. I can be contacted directly M-F 7-4 central time. If anyone else has questions, comments, or concerns i will be more than happy to give as much support as i possibly can.

Thanks,

Justin