HybridZ

To All Who Think SPEC Clutches Are Good

speeder

SPEC3.JPGSPEC4.JPGSPEC1.JPG

SPEC2.JPG

Ah, the torque of the mighty L6. Looks like a 5000 rpm launch on Big Mickey Thompsons just did it in.

I used to think SPECs were good...

I can find nothing to suggest a misadjustment - and have never seen a 6- puck burned up like that.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are going to have to step up to beefier pressure plate. Doesn't matter what type of clutch material you use it's not going to cut it. Quarter Master triple plate, or mabey HKS. I don't think too many street friendly clutches are going to stand the punishment of slicks

In the 240sx KA/SR community, there have been a handful of SPEC clutches that have exploded under normal conditions.

These guys were not putting down ridiculous power, and the things just gave up... clutch disc shoots through the bell housing, destroying everything in its path.

I could understand if they were making 500hp and this happened, but 250hp?

It's not an isolated incident, either.

I wouldn't put a spec clutch in my car if they wanted to sponsor me.

Those clutches sre all street strip clutches. They will never standup. I had a CF dual friction come apart on me behind a road race l28 3.1stroker making 275hp. It did so when I fogot to blip the throttle on a downshift. Locked rear end and goodyear r240 slicks. Looked like metal cereal coming out of the clutch fork hole.

There is quarter master and others but I would recommend 10000rpm clutches. at 275 hp I ran the dual disc 5.5 inch if you are at 400 - 500 hp I would recommend a triple disc setup. They are by far the least expensive oout there and very good quality and service. the make a setup for l6 engine so no major mods to make it work and no special starters.

http://www.10000rpm.com

http://68.10.5.69:8081/videos/clutch.wmv

• 2 weeks later...

My spec stage II clutch gave up the ghost with around 280hp with very few drag launches and mostly highway miles. Spec sucks!

These are the least expensive good clutches out there?

APPLICATIONS:Datsun/Nissan, Toyota 2 & 3 TC, 20-22R, 2.6 L Mitsubishi, and Subaru

LIST

RACER5012 2 Disc 5.5 Clutch & Flywheel Complete

5511ST 7.5 Stock Appearing Steel Billet Clutch & Flywheel Assy.

(Toyota 2 & 3TC, 20-22R, 2.6 L Mitsubishi) 14 lbs.

5020 5.5 or 7.5 CUSTOM FOREIGN CLUTCH DISCS

5020-2 5.5 or 7.5, 2 Disc Clutch Package 5.5 or 7.5 CUSTOM FOREIGN CLUTCH DISCS

5019 5.5 or 7.5 Alum. or Steel Billet IMPORT Flywheel (2 & 3TC, 20-22R,

2.6 L Mitsubishi, and Subaru)

Guest 81na ZX

I had two Stage II's on my DSM. Both of them tore to pieces at 1200 miles under no hard driving (engien break in on the first one).

I'd post a picture, but they're at home and my school web site has been down for months :(

I was ver staisfied with the ACT I used to run. It handled everything I threw at it and is now happily residing in another high HP turbo car.

My clutch is slipping now that I'm turbo'd. I was looking at spec clutches until I read this, but I'd rather not lose a foot from flying schrapnel. I went to ACT's site and they didn't show anything for a '77 280z. I have the 225 mm flywheel and would like to keep it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Just got off the phone with spec... very friendly shisters.... I told them my story, 280ish ft/lbs of torque, take to the drags twice a year, and 15,000 miles of freeway driving. They said, I don't doubt you, these clutches are finiky and that I should be satisfied with that amount of mileage. As speeder showed, these are no good for drag use, and as I have shown, no good for street use.

I find this very funny. I mean ive seen with my own eyes how zcar guys hate these things. Same with the DSM crowd. But the mustang crowd SWEARS by them. And i know some very high horsepower cars running them and doing alot of drag racing. We have one at the shop that makes 612hp and is only a pulley away from 800 running SPEC.

Weird.

Guest ON3GO

like i said i used spec clutchs in all of my cars, my blue Z, my old sr20 240sx, my ka turbo 240sx, my 300zxTT, etc etc etc.

never once had a problem and none of the cars were slow or stock.. except my blue Z.. its slow lol

mike