HybridZ

New WidebodyZ drawings

Drftn280zxt

Well just what the title said. The first isn't all that new, I just never did scan it into my computer till now. The other I did just yesterday.

Dimensions are little off, the back end is too short and the front end is way too short, but you get the general design idea.

BlueZdrawing.jpg

The dimensions of this one are money (for the most part). This is another one of my signature manual photochops. The wheels are messed up (again). I swear wheels with angled spokes like VOLK TE-37's are a pain in the a## to draw. The rear flare I kinda messed up on as it should blend a little nicer into the door.

sideprofile2.jpg

Whats your take on 'em?

That 2nd one i really like reminds me of a bastard thre way child between my 92TT 87na 78L6 i like it if ya get any more drawings especially of the rear that follow that Train of thought as far as from a rear angle, a 45 and a fron tlooking to rear 45 angle Hehehe if you follow that drawing out more post em i really liek the way that looks and im at a stage of bodywork that those might be doable :-D

The more I think about a widebody the more I'm worried about this one thing...

The corner window comes up at a certain angle and the rear window is square. I'm worred that you'd end up with this nice curvy quarter panel and a boxy upper half that you couldn't change unless you put in midified pillars, windows, and roof. Do you know what I mean? I think the roof lines need to tie in with the widebody and I don't know how well it will work. I'd imagine either you'd have to keep working on the widebody till the lines matched or get the widebody to the look you want and then midify the roof to match.

what's the corner window? The lines of the body would be perfectly intact it just that they will extrude out further towards you. Here is the funny thing a 4" widening in the rear really doesn't look all that much wider when you walk out to the car envision it, it is very subtle widening.

The rear quarters have a "shoulder", that would not change. Then there is that "crease" that run the whole length of car. From the bottom of the "shoulder" to that "crease" is where the extrusion would take place. Make sense? Same lines just extruded out further from the body.

when I say corner window i mean the window above the corner panel, behind the side door windows. That is the line that worries me. Beucase it's square in all directions exepct tilted in a bit towards the middle of the car. I personally like a really round wide body look and I think that would clash with the lines of the roof.

I like em man, but it always seems you are drawing drawing drawing, and I never see any REAL work. You are a talented artist, and I bet you could practice with fiberglass and make those sketches happen... do us a favor and get to work!

:) maybe make a small model to practice, then work on a parts car body... its worth a shot.

my 2 cents.

i think the zx needs a little something to give it some character. i like the rear flares, but i would steer clear of the fast and furious non-functional air scoops most body kits incorporate into the rear of the rocker panels which i see hints of in that pencil sketch, especially since the front part of the side skirt looks like it is wider than the stock fender, but would have to angle back in to make that scoop work the way you have it drawn. it looks awkward to my eye, but if you have to have a little vent there, i would rather see it behind the rear wheel to vent out some of the air that gets trapped there.

are you planning to shave the door handles, or are you going to try and space them out to where they would have to be in order for you to extend your fender into the door like you have it?

but i would steer clear of the fast and furious non-functional air scoops most body kits incorporate into the rear of the rocker panels

With the wheels being as wide as they would be, and the brakes being "tucked" in so far. It seems to me a vent would be kinda necessary to allow proper cooling. You are correct about how the vent would have to angle in. Of course it would angle is A LOT to allow as much air in to cool the rear brakes.

the front part of the side skirt looks like it is wider than the stock fender

Do you mean wider than the widened front fender? The sideskirts would be wider than the STOCK fender, but they would FLUSH with the wide fender.

if you have to have a little vent there, i would rather see it behind the rear wheel to vent out some of the air that gets trapped there

Hmm, I never thought about that. You bring forth a good point. If I did have the vent to allow cool air in to cool the brakes, I would need a way to let that air out. This is an interesting conundrum, WHY? Because I don't want any hole/vents in the rear quarter panels. Hmm

are you planning to shave the door handles, or are you going to try and space them out to where they would have to be in order for you to extend your fender into the door like you have it?

Going to try to space them out to match the new widened portion of the door. Far easier said than done I'm sure :(

yeah, what i meant by that was wider than the stock fender, but in order to get that duct to work, it would have to tuck back in, or the duct would have to stick out even more than the new wider side skirt in order to get any air in there. both of which seem like they would be visually awkward (of course that is just my opinion though), although having it tuck back in would be the less awkward solution. with those wheels you are using (is there a real wheel you have picked out like that by the way? they are pretty cool) i would expect you'd have plenty of brake cooling, but if no, you could always source your brake cooling ducts from the air passing under the car(there should be some space near the drive shaft in the center), and have the air directed from inside the wheel well. unless you route the air beyond just opening a duct, it's only going to hit the tire anyway, and not be directed towards the brake rotor, doing what i imagine would be more aerodynamic harm than brake-cooling good?

is there a real wheel you have picked out like that by the way? they are pretty cool

There some rims that are close like 5Zigen FN01R-c, but they don't come with width customizing options, not forged, and not rolled lip option.

Here is the 5zigen wheel

FN01RC-AS.jpg

17x10RC3.jpg

The GRAM Lights T57-RC, lightweight but no rolled lip option as they are 1 piece rim.

t57rc.jpg

The GRAM Lights 57-pro

57prormc2.jpg

Pretty close, but I wish the spokes had a more aggresive taper, and were a bit skinnier, like the 5Zigen's do/are. These are the best match thus far.

The VOLK RACING SF- Challenged (fine forged)

rmcchallenge2_s.jpg

350zchallengegoldl_s.jpg

This wheel has the ideal spoke thickness but also lacks the aggressive taper

that is closer to the 5Zigen and the 57-pro

One other wheel that I know little about (quality ways) but looks really good is the this Bee-R B5 wheel. It is absolutely gorgeous but it doesn't appear to come with a lip option let alone a rolled lip option (plus If I'm not mistaken they are cast (strike one), they are limited to 9.5"wide (strike two) . The spoke layout is awesome though.

BeeR.jpg The wheels on the R34

nsxwh03.jpg

nsxwh01.jpg

11006.jpg

Another that is gorgeous but lacks the spoke taper is the I-forged AERO

aero.jpg

The great about this wheel is that it is fully customizable (with the exception of the overall design).

Yet another wheel is HRE's 840R series. The spokes lack the aggressive taper.

845R_lrg_a.jpg

That is about all I have found, and I not 100% satisfied with any of them. I'm just too picky :lol: