HybridZ

PICS if my plugs, to rich????

big-phil

You know that might be my problem. My thinking was to open the gap to make a bigger spark but mabe I went to much .43-.45ish I'll gap the new ones to .32 I put them in but have not started it yet. I'm eating now (and typing)

Plugs are tricky things to read, and I'm not expert. But basically I believe you get a black coating on most things if its too rich. I run on the rich side of things (down to 11.9:1) and I have a nice black coating on most stuff. However the insulator (slightly conical bit on the middle of the plug) should be a nice brown colour if you have the right temperature plugs. When I ran 6's my plugs looked a very similar colour to yours.

I don't think you are running rich, but dont' **** around with guessing, get a wideband.

I was running 0.023 (0.6mm).

Dave

Looking further at the plugs I think they look good as far as color goes but, alot of that will depend on how the car is running off boost right before you pulled them.

Also, maybe it's my screen but, do I see tiny specs of aluminum on them? Any cracks, chips, or defects of any kind?

Do a search on here about NGK plugs. About a year or two ago there was some good info on here. Also Gumpyvette post some very good links about reading plugs.

Heres some info:

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

Hope this helps:grin:

I was in the middle of sanding on the car also so any specs might be from lying them on the fender with bondo dust? I made another run down the road with the .32 gap on the ngk's and it felt good untill one of my I/C clamped joints blew off. Maybe thats where the sputtering is coming from? leaky I/C piping? Hell I don't know, seems like it runs great for a week or two then I have to jack with somthing.

The color looks good' date=' but you might want to lean the idle out a little. whats your timing? whats the heat range?

here's a very informative link:

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Wow thanks for the link, your right the plugs do look good. I gess it might be my I/C piping leaking? causing the sputtering.