HybridZ

*PICS* opened up internal waste gate hole to stop BOOST CREEP!!

big-phil

Thanks to the thread from thumper about boost creap with his holset turbo. I read the thread several times waiting for the day when I could try it. Well today was the day! I put silicone on the "puck" so I could see how much of the hole it coverd I broke off 2 bolts in the process also but was able to weld an old allen wrench to the tips of them but could only get one out. Also found a hair line crack in the turbo housing but who cares I'm going to start shopping junck yards again for a bigger one.

9413423938.jpg

9413430144.jpg

9413432750.jpg

9413434975.jpg

9413442610.jpg

9413445583.jpg

You can run a bigger puck if need be. I ran a 1.25" puck and ported my housing out ALOT, ive since gone external but the ported worked for a while. Here some reference pictures for you. However it looks like you are right on track. Might want to clean up the housing on the inside too to help the transition to the wastegate hole.

These are the after pictures, I can find the ones of it before I started. Stock it was 7/8" to give you an idea:

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

I got inside the housing as far as I could reach also. I drove the car on the streets and it looks like its fixed the problem. I have not been on the highway yet. That will be tomorrow on the way to work. YES its my daily driver. I have a HEMI but when ever I drive that all I can think about is how that HEMI would feel in the Z.

OK!!!!!!! Got on the highway. First off I have it set so I can hit 14.5 to 15 psi in 2nd gear. on the highway in 5th with my foot to the floor it reads 16psi So I went from 4-5 pounds of creep to about 1. I can live with that! By the way I'm going to turn it down just a bit 12 or 14ish pounds? I don't want to blow this thing up.

Thanks again to Hybrid Z and all who post here, I would'nt know any of all I have done to this car with out all of you!

Wow looking good. Another thing I did to my wastegate to get it not to creep was cut and shorten the flapper arm that connects to the actuator arm. What this does is shorten the lever so that when the wastegate actuator opens up its in fact moving the flapper arm more because it is on a smaller pivot point/smaller circle. If this is confusing (i know i'm not using the correct terminology) I can draw some pics or take some pics.

Wow looking good. Another thing I did to my wastegate to get it not to creep was cut and shorten the flapper arm that connects to the actuator arm. What this does is shorten the lever so that when the wastegate actuator opens up its in fact moving the flapper arm more because it is on a smaller pivot point/smaller circle. If this is confusing (i know i'm not using the correct terminology) I can draw some pics or take some pics.

don't forget that by doing that you are reducing the distance from the force to the pivot point (radius), and in turn reducing the amount of torque about that point (torque = Force*radius). If there is enough pressure in the exhaust manifold right before the turbo, there might not be enough force to open the puck, depending on how much force your actuator can produce.

don't forget that by doing that you are reducing the distance from the force to the pivot point (radius), and in turn reducing the amount of torque about that point (torque = Force*radius). If there is enough pressure in the exhaust manifold right before the turbo, there might not be enough force to open the puck, depending on how much force your actuator can produce.

Yepo and I did have that problem. So my stock boost off the boost controller went to 5psi vs 7psi. All I did though was add a $2 spring for sears and its back to 7psi.

It does not seem like I need to do that, But I'm going to be looking for a holset turbo. THEN paint my car. Its funny I was in the middle of the process of starting to get the car painted, then I found that damn turbo motor, and know I have a spotted primer car with a turbo f-ing hauls a$$

Did the same thing on mine but I have an external wastegate. I didn't think that would be possible with a flapper type wastegate, but that is good to know that it works on internal waste gates also.

The crack isn't a big deal. But It looks like your have a chunk of cast iron missing when looking down the wastegate hole (4th photo).

I was looking at that in the photo also, after I put it all together. I was wondering if it was the back side of a bolt? There is a little more shaft play than when I put the turbo in also, I'd just really like to put a t3/t4 or a Holset in, + my P90 head+ MSns+ my Supra 440 injectors+bigger intercooler+3" downpipe+paint.......does the list ever end?

By the way I'm going to turn it down just a bit 12 or 14ish pounds?

I'd be willing to bet money that you won't. I have never tried crack, but I suspect boost might be more addicting. Hahaha, enjoy your ride. I love fast beaters.