HybridZ

Wrecked... is this feasable?

Last night I wrecked my TA... probably totaled. Pretty ridiculous really... for once I was driving soft and slow leaving my campus... it had just started sprinkling, I turn left, shifted to second, and hit some wet spots simultaneously... immediately swung my rear out to the right, hopped teh left curb and hit a light post. I was only doing around 20. Airbags deployed, breaking my windshield, one tire blown, nose and one fender destroyed, some minor frame damage in that area as well.

The book value on my car was only 4600, though it most likely would have sold for 6800-7500. It is an LT1 w/ T56, both @ 72000mi. I don't see how I am going to come out of this with much money at all, and definately not with a driveable car. I really need to be driving something again by next fall. The only way I can think of now to get driving again by that point is to put my motor and tranny in a high mile Z28, Formula, Trans Am, or Datsun. Datsuns sell cheaper than even high mile F-bodies, so that seems most logical.

If I found a 260z or somethin for around 500... how much money and work would be involved in getting my LT1 and T56 running in the datsun. Is this even realistic? Could I accomplish it? It would need to run reliably. Cosmetic issues would obviously have less priority than mechanical issues.

Thanks for any help, I am really lost as to what to do in this situation as a college student with very very limited funds most of the year. My car was my baby, got a great deal on it, and always took care of it.

Drew

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1972_240z

Since you have the engine and tranny all ready and you can just convert anything, you just need the custom stuff made. mounts, driveshaft, those types of things. Lets say they give you $4500, you should then rebuy back your car from insurance, do the motor and tranny swap, then "donate" the shell. you will get like $500 tax credit, plus you will have your motor and tranny.

just my $.02 cents

that sounds good, but your not going to be able to find a minimal work car that just needs a motor for only 500. if you can, thats awesome and do it. look very closely for rust and cracks and everything that could be a problem, because it will. =)

Since you have the engine and tranny all ready and you can just convert anything' date=' you just need the custom stuff made. mounts, driveshaft, those types of things. Lets say they give you $4500, you should then rebuy back your car from insurance, do the motor and tranny swap, then "donate" the shell. you will get like $500 tax credit, plus you will have your motor and tranny.

just my $.02 cents[/quote']

Well I don't know how the whole "totaled" process works. New to all this. I still owe 1700 on the car... would have paid it off this summer : . What am I expecting to happen, what is the process with insurance in this whole thing? What do you mean by donating the shell of my car, and what's with the 500 tax credit?

just buy your LT1 car back from the insurance co, pay off what you owe and let the car sit somewhere while you drive around a $1000 beater car

What are you suggesting be my final goal for the LT1 that I just let sit? To put in a Z?

yes' date=' that is why your on this board right? :)

give me a holler and you can stop by and see how it fits. Mines not a LT1 but you'd be able to use all the same conversion parts.[/quote']

Ahh heck yeah! Didn't know there were any V8 Zs in tulsa! I'll PM ya..

An LT1 t56 makes a great powertrain for a Datsun Z. As swaps go, this is pretty easy. (Not as easy as getting another F body shell, if a decent one can be found. You can buy the mount stuff off the shelf from Jags That Run (get the book also). Like any custom project, though, you will run into delays, and as a student, you likely don't have the facilities or time for the project, not to mention the funds for miscellaneous stuff. Also, don't forget that the brakes and suspension are not up to snuff of a rip snortin V8. Also, these conversions are kinda rough for a daily driver, even at your age. I see them as fun cars, even though there are some here who drive them every day. If I were in your shoes, I would get the conversion book (notice how I repeated that), and use this as an excuse to do this project in the future (i.e. pull the motor/tranny and store it). In the meantime, get a 15 year old Civic (I can't believe I just said that) or better yet, a Neon until you graduate.

An LT1 t56 makes a great powertrain for a Datsun Z. As swaps go, this is pretty easy. (Not as easy as getting another F body shell, if a decent one can be found. You can buy the mount stuff off the shelf from Jags That Run (get the book also). Like any custom project, though, you will run into delays, and as a student, you likely don't have the facilities or time for the project, not to mention the funds for miscellaneous stuff. Also, don't forget that the brakes and suspension are not up to snuff of a rip snortin V8. Also, these conversions are kinda rough for a daily driver, even at your age. I see them as fun cars, even though there are some here who drive them every day. If I were in your shoes, I would get the conversion book (notice how I repeated that), and use this as an excuse to do this project in the future (i.e. pull the motor/tranny and store it). In the meantime, get a 15 year old Civic (I can't believe I just said that) or better yet, a Neon until you graduate.

Well that doesn't sound so fun :icon12:... LT1 T/A to '91 Civic?

it may not sound fun, but the money saved on fuel etc.. can fund your Z project..

you will come out ahead more than likely, as if the NADA blue book value is around 4600, you will pay around 25% or less to keep the car.....

I have a 2001 S10, loaded, 4.3 with a 5 speed, ZQ8 sport suspension, extended cab yadda yadda, power everything with 28k miles. I had it 3 weeks and was hit from behind and the truck was considered to be a total loss.. .. State Farm gave me 12.5 k for the truck and the buy back was only $1300.00. I kept it and fixed it for $2500.00, doing all of the work myself except for the frame pulling..... So.. the answer is, you should come out ahead, just do the math.. And no offense to the camaro and t/a crow, but they are a dime a dozen.. much more fun to be had with your LT1 pulling around 1000 lbs less....

Well that doesn't sound so fun :icon12:... LT1 T/A to '91 Civic?

I agree, it is a big letdown, but they handle well, and if you run some nitrous, which you can do cheaply, it'll be more fun, and you can beat the hell out of it trying to destroy it and justifying the Datsun project. I'm thinking of trying nitrous in my 93 RX7 to explode the motor so I can put an LS1 in it-unfortunately, I got one of those rare motors that just keeps going on and on.

I agree, it is a big letdown, but they handle well, and if you run some nitrous, which you can do cheaply, it'll be more fun, and you can beat the hell out of it trying to destroy it and justifying the Datsun project. I'm thinking of trying nitrous in my 93 RX7 to explode the motor so I can put an LS1 in it-unfortunately, I got one of those rare motors that just keeps going on and on.

Are you telling me to put nitrous on a civic? Is that a joke? I'd never put a single cent into making a honda any faster than stock.

EDIT: O, didn't realize you were saying to get a civic WHILE working on the datsun as a project... I thought you meant just give up the datsun idea. What about bill's idea (see below)

the car can proably be fixed for around $3-4000 depending on the shop, just fix the TA is my suggestion. buyback will be under $1000 probably

Dude the front parts of the frame are off a little even. I don't know that it would ever be same. After talking to Bill here, I am thinking may just be best to spend like 1500 on an already driveable stock datsun... keep my motor, tranny, etc, and start collecting parts.

I never thought of that last one. That's the most logical solution. You can drive it around, become familiar with the Z, fix the bugs, and do the mandatory upgrade of the brakes/suspension, and you already have your drivetrain when you are ready. Bill's a genius. That's why I love this forum. Thousands of minds are better than one.

I never thought of that last one. That's the most logical solution. You can drive it around, become familiar with the Z, fix the bugs, and do the mandatory upgrade of the brakes/suspension, and you already have your drivetrain when you are ready. Bill's a genius. That's why I love this forum. Thousands of minds are better than one.

Yeah sounds good. Anything else people want to point out? Any thing to look for? Bill offered to check some out for me if I find one near us.

Don't try to fix the TA, the reason the buy back from the insurance co. is low is that they KEEP the TITLE to the car. You can fix it and apply for a reconstructed vehicle title but, if you change your mind and try to sell the car it won't be worth much.

Buy a Z car, alot of fun to drive even if stock.