HybridZ

windshield,seal removal & installation

frankjp

i.ve had my 76 Z for 17 years this month and decided it's time for paint & a new ws & seal. i removed the mirror,sun visors and noticed thick rubber trim (looks like the ws seal) overlapping the interior padded vinyl trim that goes around the ws ,the interior side of the pillars,& all along the top of the ws. my factory service manual does not show the ws seal look'in like that! sooo.....is it (rubber that overlaps the interior trim)the ws seal or does it have to come off along with the 'padded interior trim ' that's on the ws pillars? hope i have discribed this so it's understandable. thanks

• 5 weeks later...

If you're using new seal, just cut the old one out, leaving the glass sitting there. Keep the metal trim for the new seal. That keep the corners straight for the glass.

Your choice on installing after paint, do it yourself or have the professionals do it.

i think Black Dragon Auto does (former Victoria British). I think i saw the silver and a black version of the trim that goes in the rubber seal.

I"m curious as my windshield is toast and i see signs around here 149 new windshield installed... how hard is this to do?

-Ed

Stony told me a trick to getting the glass in when I was showing him the glass that I was going to trade him. Not sure if I got all of it but this is what I think he said.

You assemble sealls on the glass.

wrap string around on the outer groove of the weather stripping, so the ends are on the bottom.

Then put vasilineon the weather strip.

Put the windsheild in place withthe bottom on the "flange" or catch or what ever you call it and lean it up up against the opening so its being held up (or down) by its own weight.

Pull the string and gently push againt the glass to get it into place.

I think thats how he explained it to me. Might want to ask him to be sure.

That's how you do it. use cord about the size of a mower pull cord.

those cheap windshield places put them in cheaper than I could buy one from my supplier. Glass breaks, unless you have a good cheap line on them,I'd let them deal with it.

on older Zs the chrome is cosmetic,I took mine out

The weather stipping shrinks with time, the trim helps to keep the corners straight.

On my 93 jeep, it has the same thing but the trim is flat black, it came like that new. Its on there for the same reason.

Sounds good but I still don't buy it.The glass fits in there pretty tight.The corners will shrink and crack. I'll go out to my bone yard and look .I have a 77 that it's been out of for 12 years,and older one's that still have it.I think it's bling,but I'll take a look.

When I was helping rebuild my dad's chevy K20. We went to the glass shop to get replacement door windows and stripping. They said to try to "pack as much" of the window seals possible. I first noticed these thing when I was watching "Horse Power TV. " They mentioned it also. I don't how much it will shrink on a "loop" piece without the trim but on one of the 280Zs I have , it has a crappy paint job and you can see how much it shrunk from when it had its last paint job. And on my jeep (93, bought new) the upper front door window seal has shunk also, there is a 1 1/2 inche gap now