HybridZ

here we go again...rolling paint

OlderThanMe

I finally put a second coat on my left fender that I stripped and on the partially stripped hood to see how it would do over old paint as well as over bare metal.

w32294202.jpg

my haynes manual after the second coat with no sanding

w32294194.jpg

my mixing cans...

w32294188.jpg

the fender and hood. The bad part on the edge of the hood is where paint got half way stripped off

I am going to do a lighter blue and a single wide orange stripe on the real paint job. I used the black just because it is so picky I could see every problem so I could get the proper mixture of paint to mineral spirits.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done any body work yet...I just stripped all the bondo off and those problems were under the bondo. that part ontop of the flare is because I just took a hammer to the fender to make the flare. it is all of the original metal there and nothing new. I just have to smooth it out after I rip this paint back off to do my blue and orange paint.

Hey olderthanme, how scratch resistant is your job? I did my cowl using the same paint and roller method but It is still soft after a month an I am able to scratch it easily with my fingernail.... :(

p.s. I thinned it with Acetone.

this last coat the roller was a bit hard from there still being a some paint on it from the last coat.

I painted that left fender bare. you don't want to see what I found on my rocker part of the fender when I sanded the bondo off...

I'll get a picture tonight.

I also did not use an exact percentage of mineral spirits...Just applied it until it felt right like 69charger said over on the moparts website.

well it is not much different...with just painting over paint you don't have to worry about sanding very close to the time you paint. I usually strip the surface of one panel and puit the first coat on that night. the first coat will not completely cover the metal so it will look like there is little spots of bare metal but it is protected from rusting until your next coats.

Guest Firestorm8319
well it is not much different...with just painting over paint you don't have to worry about sanding very close to the time you paint. I usually strip the surface of one panel and puit the first coat on that night. the first coat will not completely cover the metal so it will look like there is little spots of bare metal but it is protected from rusting until your next coats.

Just to make sure, you can paint over old primer and sanded paint? Because I know when you prep a car with good paint you use 400 wet to sand. And if you go over that paint or primer, does the paint react to it?

here is what I did today...

b32706758.jpg

I stripped the paint to bare metal and put down a line to paint to for the two tone red/black

b32706743.jpg

for some reason it looks orange but it is actually very red. I probably just need to change the settings on my camera

b32706754.jpg

I need a new window regulator that is not bent...I went through several Z's at the junkyard and they were all bent. Then the Manager at the junkyard pulled about 3 out in 20 minutes...all bent...lol we took the regulators out of every early Z there (like 30 first gen Z's and about 10 with the 240/early 260 regulators)...

I think with the black bottom it will be awesome! The hood will be red and I am thinking of doing the top of the hood bump in black. I'll see what it looks like in just red first though. I just have to get it together for the ZdayZ run at the "Tail of the Dragon" and the car show that will be there...not going to be a show stopper by any means but it will be fun.

what is the best way to polish my stock aluminium intake and round tops? might do it to make them look a little better.