HybridZ

FMU/RRFPR with Megasquirt? And what fuel pressure?

boardkid280z

I hate making excuses but if you saw my intake arrangement, you would know why the HP was low. VERY restrictive. The cheap cone air filter is behind the left headlight and a corrogated tube goes down under the framerail and squeezes back up "ovalized" between the radiator and the A/C clutch. Then it makes a very tight cobra's-head elbow 90 degree turn into the AFM. LOL.

When I get the AFM out, it will be Airfilter on Compressor with a heat sheild.

The Mapdaddy Boost/Atm. sensor is an add-on to the MS-II board. I chose MS-II just because it seems more futureproof even though it might be more development work up front. Yes, I remember Pete when my car was on the dyno we were chatting right? Funny, back when I thought adjusting FMU fuel pressure was "tuning".

I have no idea if there are any dyno shops around here familiar with MS. I doubt it. I am pretty much going to be going at it alone with my wideband O2. I have a friend who may help out a little. He is an EE and pretty good at reading manuals. He used to write tech manuals.

Tony, I'm an EE! :mrgreen:

Dave,

The most important reason to tune on a dyno is that it provides a fixed and controlled load. There is probably no way you can put the engine under 100% load on public roads (I've tried). With the new generation of dynos like the Dynapack we had at Syracuse, you can use the dyno to fix the engine RPM (or load). Then as you step on the throttle, it maintains that RPM. So for each RPM band, you can zero in on each load point by modulating the throttle. I've started with default maps, and had great running engines in a couple hours on one of these dyno.

I fabricated the MS harness for Chris Holmes car. He was able to get the tuning pretty close by using the logging feature with a narrow band sensor, but there still are a few spots where it stumbles. We should be able to zero in on those spots on the dyno and make the appropriate adjustment.

Yeah I definately will get up to you at some point. Once I get it running well enough to drive, I know I will want it honed in. It's just a matter of time. Hopefully I can get it close with some patience and help from HybridZ. I would imagine that alot of the MSI parameters will translate to MSII even if I cant just grab an entire file from someone at least I can manually transfer some of the data over. This is new to me so I am expecting a tough learning curve.

"There is probably no way you can put the engine under 100% load on public roads (I've tried)."

JeffP is in that boat now. Finally got his system to track properly, and now is lighting the cars rear tires up at will. His next step: 300# of pea gravel or aquarium rocks in bags over the rear tires and stickier tires.

Street tuning will save you time when you go to the dyno, but ultimately even an hour on a dyno will reveal horsepower, or something you didn't find on the street.

Right now, JeffP is at the quandary "7500rpm in third gear is go to jail territory and second just won't stay hooked up at all!"

Right now, JeffP is at the quandary "7500rpm in third gear is go to jail territory and second just won't stay hooked up at all!"

I spent a couple hours out in the boonies today, doing some tunning on the rb26z.

I know that "go to jail territory" very well. I got caught a couple years back doing the same thing I was doing today....

A dyno sure would help about now for me too.... :D