HybridZ

Found an 87-88 Turbo Tranny is it worth it?

Okay Z

Well I am finally working and hope to start work on my Z,I can only afford the clutch and tranny swaps and to replace the front struts.

My question is this:Is the Tranny from an 87-88 turbo really that much better than a tranny from a 240sx?Becouse the guy that is helping me fix my car has a 240sx tranny with low miles for $100,but I found a 87-88 turbo tranny on ebay and so far it's $160 plus shipping around 100, but has 10 bids.How much should I bid?I mean is it worth it to spend a bunch more money to get this or is the 240sx close in performance ?I have asked about the 240sx tranny before and you guys gave some links and it they say it can handle around 400RWHP,But would running that much power[Thats my goal around 350-400 RWHP]caouse it to last only a little While? here is the link to the 87-88 Turbo tranny..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054743994?

Also I know I should get an ACT clutch and I was thinking stage 3 for the holding power but the description said that driving it on the street can caouse premuture were and failure.Is that just if you drove it in a big city,stop and go traffic like LA,Detroit ect?I mostly drive down rural roads and small towns.

I don't care if it's harder push the clutch down[good excercise] but I don't want to keep replacing clutches and I want something that holds.I thought about a stage 2 clutch but would it hold around 350-400 RWHP reliably?

Thanks and I hope I didn't ask to many questions.I did try searching but there wasn't much on clutches.

Those trannies are definitely much stronger than the 240SX tranny. They are very similar to the ones used in the 90-96 300ZX's. The 240SX might handle that much power for the KA guys from what I've seen but the VG is going to make quite a bit more torque and will be much more likely to break it.

I picked up a Z32 TT tranny in good condition for $250. I picked it up myself so I saved on shipping costs but I would base the price on that. I found it on http://www.car-part.com. Might be able to find a similar deal for one of those or the 87-89 300ZX Turbo tranny.

Thanks for the reply Mtcookson.I didn't get the tranny mentioned,I was staying up to bid on it and dozed off,when I woke up the auction was done I'm kinda pissed at myself ,but oh well.

So I'm back to where I started,Is it posible to build up a 240sx tranny relitivly cheap?like I said I can't seem to find any 87-89 Turbo tranny's and my buddy has a 240sx tranny for a hundred bucks so If I could build that up to handle 350-400 RWP at a decent price I'd be happy is that possible or am I dreaming?

You said you found a z32 TT Tranny cheap,do you have a z31?If so how hard was it to get it to work?Jason gave me a link in a previous post that had a bit of info about all the trannies,and it sounded hard to get a z32 TT tranny to work on a z31 so I kinda dismised it as an option.

I still don't know if I should get the ACT stage 3 clutch,I like it's listed holding power but it says street driving can couse it to wear out early,do you know if it is true and if so is it only caused by really heavy traffic,Ie LA Detroit ect?I drive mainly rural roads small town,would that couse it to wear out early?I am considering the stage 2 but am wondering when I get upo to higher power levels later this summer would the stage 2 hold 350-400 RWHP?

Also What brand of struts would you reccomend?My front struts are dying.I want struts that are firm,and prvide good handling,l guess racing struts,I don't care if it makes the ride more bumpy so that is not an issue but price is,what would you reccomend?I am also going to replacew my endlink bushing any brand that you reccomned?.

Thanks for answering my questions,I do try and search so I hope these questions wern't asked before.and I'm sorry I asked so many questions and I apreciate you answering them.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...