HybridZ

a little update of my project. but should i even go on?

v8260

what should i do to still make it out of this project with my wallet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. what should i do to still make it out of this project with my wallet?

• keep doing it all original
    • aftermarket (flares, fender mirrors all that stuff)
    • dump the whole project
    • throw it on ebay
    • something else (mention it in the thread)

heres the deal. I started this project in december of 04 not really knowing much about zs. im in this car about 5-6 thousand already in parts and other stuff. (bought an original dashboard in the factory box for $1500:shock:) im not gona write alot because the pictures will tell u more. my question is this thou. should a continue doing an all original restoration or go modified a little (bodykit, wing fender mirrors that stuff). basically me and my dad want to finish this project the cheapest way. Both 1/4 panels are gone. i got one side replacment and after sand blasting i see that i need the other side two. floor pans are gone (no suprise) and so is the rear hatch thing (also no suprise). we were thinking if we flare out the fenders it would be cheaper than buying replacments. (taking under consideration the labor involved). SO heres the pics. any comments, opinons, advice and judgments welcome.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Guest ON3GO

going widebody/flares will cost some money too, you will need wider more pricey wheels and tires, most likely coilovers and other things that a stock flared Z wont really "need".

do what you think looks best.

both look good but i always like flared Z's, either ZG's or crazy widebody style.

looks like its a fun project though!

mike

that make since. when u think about it it will cost more. btw i forgot to mention. the white one is my 280z. daily driver for now. its just a white primer on that one now. got to take it to paint soon. just dont know when.............

damn thats alot of rust though!

dont remind me haha. if i would have known there are zs in better shape i would have just gotten a new shell. of corse by the time i found z forums i had already started. if i hadent bought so many panels and sand blasted and all the other things that cost me money to do to the shell i would have scraped it and got another. live and learn i guess.

that sure is a fair bit of rust, but there's much worse out there (one was mine!)...i reckon the hardest bit is going to e getting your rear wheel arches right, whether you flare them or not getting rid of the rust and getting the curve right will be a challenge.

If you weren't going to flare them you can actually use the front wheel arches from a spare panel and modify them to fix the flare.....

good luck with everything

Huw

Yup, mine was as bad as yours. It looks like the worst on yours would be the wheel arches, but I bet some VB steel flares would allow you to remove most or all of the rusted sections. You're going to have to rework both inner and outer fenders anyway, so the labor for the flares would be 'free'. The floors and such aren't that hard to fix, just time consuming. Once you learn the tricks of patching these tin foil bodies, it's not too bad to do. How are you fixed for welding and other metal working tools?

Yup, mine was as bad as yours. It looks like the worst on yours would be the wheel arches, but I bet some VB steel flares would allow you to remove most or all of the rusted sections. You're going to have to rework both inner and outer fenders anyway, so the labor for the flares would be 'free'. The floors and such aren't that hard to fix, just time consuming. Once you learn the tricks of patching these tin foil bodies, it's not too bad to do. How are you fixed for welding and other metal working tools?

i really like the idea of flaring out the fenders honestly. does anyone have any pics of VB steel flares? how much are those anywho? as far as metal working tools i have none. i want to learn to weld and stuff too. i can use this as an excuse to get more tools! :-D any suggestions on that would be helpful as well. then i can go to harbor freight or something....

Guest SouthGaZX

if you want flared fenders get find some 60's model vw beetle fenders... should be easy to find.. are almost identical to VB only require a tad bit trimming.. and give you i think 2-3 more inches of flare..

alright ive decided what im going to do. I pretty much overwelmed and i dont want to go on. i have most of the replacment panels for it. Heres what im going to do. Someone make me an offer on the shell. i have rust free fenders, the rear hatch replacment, that im offering too. I have the orignal matching numbers engine and suspension stuff. Someone make me an offer or its going on ebay. its a good place to start for someone who knows how to weld.

btw i also have a new old stock dash. (this is not a restored one its a BRAND NEW FACTORY orignal for a 240z). i got pics so someone make me an offer on that too.

Guest 1972_240z

def put the NOS dash on ebay. People pay top dollar for that stuff. I saw a "crack free" dash that wasn't even new but used go for $700+

other stuff, i would suggest trying to sell on here.

You call that bad !! i would love to take it of your hads.. it is so mint to my standards .. common what is a little welding ... you done most of the work !

But as welding is involved .. why go all original ..

if you want that .. go search a low milage survivor in factory paint !!

As you are welding .. go aftermarket !

i just dont have the motavation to go on. money is being sucked by both zs. i think the best thing would be to only keep one. Most of the work is done so it would be good for someone else to take over who can weld.

After mine caught fire i was overwhelmed as well. I had no idea what to do first, but man you just gotta take it one step at a time, baby steps man. I even was trying to get out of Z's completly but Mike (ON3GO) convinced me i'd be a retard for doing so. Now my car is starting to look pretty good. Baby steps man, anytime you get that deep into a project and you try to imagine the finished image your gonna get overwhelemd.

On a side note, your Z is actually pretty rust free man. I've seen alot worse. As Z's go... that's pretty good. You don't have any really big holes besides that one rear fender.

-Ed