HybridZ

Anyone Know Datsun Pickups?

Chewievette

My buddy and I have recently been inspired to get a parts runner / shop truck. The inspiration came when I just barely fit my "new" 240z hood in the back seat of my car! Anyways, I was at the junkyard and I spotted an old Datsun pickup, early 70's, but it has a junk four banger and stick four speed. Would it be worth while for us to pick it up and try to wedge one of my L6's in there? I've got a spare L24 to use and a set of rims and tires to throw on it. The guy said that it drove in but the engine was making some serious kind of racket. It has a lot of rust and it looks about par with most old vehicles up here in Michigan but just for being a parts runner it doesn't matter. I am interested in this truck because the L6 should technically be a bolt in right? If it will fit that is. So, Cheap shop truck or big 'ol can of worms?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I remember an Audi I looked at in a j/y once that had the radiator off to the side of the engine bay and the engine was basically up against the back of the grill. I think it just might barely fit like that. I'll have to weld in new engine mounts but that's not a huge deal. I'm more worried about the engine bolting to the trans and being able to interface with the existing systems in the truck. I'm going to go back up there sometime next week and do some measuring to see if it would fit and to get an exact price for it. If he wants much over $500, I'll keep looking.

An L6 will NOT bolt in - I guarantee that, you will have to quite a bit of fabrication to get it to fit.

The truck that you came across is more than like the awesome Datsun 620. Its my favorite Datsun truck.

I have owned a few of these now and know my way around them quite well.

D62012.JPG

Yasin

Eh, I dont know... I'll go back out there and measure the engine bay to see if I want to attempt it. If the guy doesn't want a couple of arms and legs and it's close I might be willing to try it. I'll keep thinking about it, I'd still like to hear your ideas / comments. Thanks!

I went back up there yesterday and he wants $400 for it. I dont know its pretty bad. I measured it up for the L6 and if I use the stock engine mounts it will put the front of the pulleys directly behind the grill and the firewall will have to get pushed back at least 8" I think I could do it, I would need to crawl up under there and take a look at the trans mount and see how it could be modified. Its acctually a 1979 620. the brakes look very similar to my 280zx, any chance they will swap over? Turns out I dont have a set of wheels and tires because I didn't realize they were using six bolts on a mini truck. I found an '85 chevy pu that looks pretty solid for $600 I might just go for that. I have to think about this some more, what do yall think?