HybridZ

280zx high speed vibration

Z-Monster

hi guys,

i have had my zx for awhile now and its almost perfect witht the exception of this vibration i managed to get rid of before in the past but now.. its just annoying the F out of me. first the specs of my car...

rb25det, wheel spacers all round(new and machined to the tee), 17" rims (straight) with new tires, sylvia rack steering rack customed engine mounts along with long/prop shaft, r200 diff etc.

ok so now my problem... i have had a slight vibration to my steering which effects the whole car between to 50 to 75 mph. beyond 75mph i am smooth as silk aside from the road modulations and some tyre vibration at times.... so now my question is to how should i go about this problem... i have not done on wheel balancing, but i'm affraid its a bent long shaft or a shitty engine mount.

I have left my car off gear and glided at 60mph just to find out if it was my drivetrain. the vibration was still evident so i used that and concluded that the vibration has nothing to do with the drivetrain but my wheels.

pls give me some suggestion to tackle this problem...

thanx guys.

Get the tires balanced. I would be willing to bet that you will find that your front wheels are out of balance. Generally if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel, it's the front. If you feel the vibration in the seat, it's the rear wheels.

But that's how balancing affects the car. It's only through certain vehicle speeds that it's noticeable.

If you have showy rims, make sure they put weights on both sides of the rim. Balancing with weights only on the inside is nicer looking, but it is a "static" balance, vs a "dynamic" with weights on both sides. Dynamic is the way to go. If you don't have a lip on the outside edge of the rim then the shop should use the stick on weights as close to the outside edge as possible.

If you have showy rims, make sure they put weights on both sides of the rim. Balancing with weights only on the inside is nicer looking, but it is a "static" balance, vs a "dynamic" with weights on both sides. Dynamic is the way to go. If you don't have a lip on the outside edge of the rim then the shop should use the stick on weights as close to the outside edge as possible.

Good point! This can go along way to helping solve your proublem.

thanx alot guys

wow, i have great respect for you all whom have given me countless advice and solutions on all my problems...:) I am very very particular about the way my car rides... i will get my car on a high speed balancing machine and hope for the best...:)

thanx again