HybridZ

Differential R200 - Rotational Play

cygnusx1

My fuel tank is leaking so I got the rear end up on stands and drained the tank for repair. While I was underneath the car I decided to inspect the drivetrain. The driveline clunks when I get on-off the throttle in the lower gears. Now I know this is a trait of about every S30 ever built but I think I want to get to the bottom of it. It's not one of the usual suspects.

NOT:

U-Joints (CV in my case)

Diff Mount

Mustache Bar

Wheel Bearing

Stub shafts

Splines

MAYBE:

Backlash in the diff gears

Bearings in the diff (I doubt it because they are quiet)

If I take one of the rear wheels and rotate it gently, I can go about 10 degrees before the other wheel turns opposite direction. If I grab the driveshaft and twist it, I can get about 2-3 degrees of play out of it. Trans in neutral.

Is there normally this much lash stacking in the spiders, ring and pinion? Are modern diffs this loose? Should I run sawdust in the diff. :wink:

That's pretty normal for a diff that's got some miles on it, just the accumulation of wear in the gears and bearings. It will probably run quite a while still. If the clunk bothers you, you can rebuild it, but if the clunks bearable I would probably run it a while.

jt

You've got 4 gears to get the slack out of when you're turning one wheel and looking for the other to turn, so it will take a bit of rotation. If you measure backlash at the ring gear (took the cover off and grabbed the ring gear itself and felt the play between it and the pinion) it would be a lot less than you get when you twist the pinion. There are some diffs where you have to set the backlash with pinion rotation, and I don't have a specific example, but it might be 1/8" of twist on the pinion to equal .012" backlash. It's not at all a 1:1 ratio. What you've got there sounds normal to me.

The halfshaft stubs have a loose fit into the differential side gears... and the gears move around/ have clearance when they are not under pressure... this causes some.. if not all of your clunk.. assuming you already know that the rest of the mounts and bolts are tight.

check the condition of the splines on the stubs and in the side gears... if your clunk is worse than normal.. this could be an often overlooked source of noise.

• 6 months later...

Good point. I suppose this Winter I should also pay a visit to the driveshaft and the splines in the rear of the transmission too. It just seems like too much play in the overall drivetrain but not alot of play in any one part. Maybe it's time for an overhall of all these rotating parts.

I just fixed the loud clunk on my car, it would clunk as I backed on and off the power and from going forward to reverse.

It was the 2 nuts that bolt the Diff to the Moustache bar, once they were done up really tight the clunking stopped, took me months to figure that out

• 1 year later...

Old thread and yes the diff has held up with all the clunking, however it is getting worse and I noticed some play in the right side output hub.

With the car on the ground and in gear, if I roll the car forwards and backwards, the right hub shifts in and out along the axis of the axle about 1/32" thus making a clunk. It looks like this is where most of my clunk is coming from. I've got all the external sources of clunk tied down pretty good.

Any idea why the output hub would want to thrust in and out of the diff under forward and reverse torques? I run 280ZX Turbo CV axles. I am going to have the drivetrain out of the car in a month or two for the Z32 trans swap and want to get ready if I need diff work also.

If the wheel moves in and out the first place to look would be the wheel bearings. As to why it would move in and out, it could be that the toe is causing it to move one direction then the other. If the bearings are bad, I'd take a close look at the splines on the stub axles and companion flanges when you're in there replacing the bearings.

• 4 months later...

Old thread but I want to revive it because I just took apart the entire drivetrain and re-assembled it with the OBX LSD center. Here's What I noticed.

1st Biggest Culprit: (bjhines called it)

The axle splines are definitely not a snug fit into the diff. They were somewhat loose in the spider gears and equally loose in the OBX.

2nd

The ZX Turbo CV shafts that I am using had noticable play in the outer tulips when I cleaned out the grease.

3rd

The OBX has some lash inside of it because of the nature of the backlash of all the helical gears involved....and relatively loose tolerances in manufacturing.

4th

The rear u-joint in the driveshaft has a tiny tiny bit of lash to it.

5th

My rear wheel bearings have some play...within spec but it's there.

I just finished the assembly and still need to install the transmission. I should be test driving it next week, pending weather. I expect as much or more clunking that I had before, due to the helical diff. At least I know it's not a failure. It's just a tolerance accumulation.

Side note. My dad is retired and offered to help me out by doing some work on the car during the week. I discussed fabricating a stainless strap to hold the front of the diff down. Well, he thought it a good idea to drill two holes front to back, clear through the front diff mount and crossmember, and install two horizontal 3/8" carriage bolts. Effectively making a solid diff mount! Ughhh. I didn't want a solid diff mount but leave it to an old Italian engineer to go overkill!

I need to keep my eye on the holes he drilled for stress cracks now. If it's too noisy, I'll re-engineer his method. LOL.