HybridZ

electric fan?

300zxRB26

what are your suggestions for an eleectric fan for an 88 300zx? Does anyone know the stock CFM that the stock fan pulls? The way i want to mount it is right on the back of the radiator support and not on the radiator. I'm lookin more towards the 16x15 3/4 2500 CFM 17 amp cyclone fan by flx-a-lite. Let me know what your ideas are.

the 300zx has a tilted radiator, right?

if that is so, I would NOT mount the fan on the back of the radiator support, unless you are building some kind of shroud that will direct all the suction of the fan to the radiator.

I had a taurus 2 speed electric fan setup pusher style on my car, and the temp gauge would get hotter than I liked. I checked out the operation of it, and since I didn't have it flush mounted to the radiator, alot of the air was spilling out the sides, and not being forced through the radiator.

even a small electric fan will do if mounted flush with the radiator, and with the right control device.

good luck

-oliver

Dude

Dont know if it will work for you but I read on the site here about the early 90s taurus sable fan. I picked one up at the JY. IT is awesome and an easy pull. I only wired low speed an it keeps my V8 355 cool. The best this it was only $10.00

Olie's right... i missed that in your post... the fans have to be flush mount on the radiator.. OR... a shroud has to be flush mount to the radiator then to the fans. You'll prolly pull better cooling with the shroud actually, just a little more work on your part.

-Ed

Hey Jeremy, this is what I ended up with. http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=7102&cat=615

I mounted it on a new turbo radiator ,with some simple brackets, and it cools my V8 nicely. I think the fan is something like the Black Magic fan, I bought it at a swap meet for $15, the guy said he was going to use it for a Toyota truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just did the Taurus fan install on my 87 300zx and I only used a single fan thermostat and I wired the hi speed to it and I got it to cool like before, but it usually only runs for about 8 seconds after I turn it off. Just like some factory cars :mrgreen:

I did notice a performance increase by removing the old fan setup and bolting down the pulley. I also hear my cone filter more now when I stomp on the gas. The only thing I dont like is the cone filter rubs on the hood since I am still using the factory resonator box. I guess PVC and krylon here i come. I will post a pic next week.

Autozone sells the remote oil cooler remount kit for $4.99. I also got the thermostat for I think $15.99.

The shroud was a PITA, but mine was semi broke, and I wasnt going to turn back, so I snipped it to pieces and got it out. I like the look too, as you can see more of the engine and gives the false sense that there is actually room in the Z engine compartment.

Anyone figure out what do to do to block the air from the new fan from getting to the cone filters?